Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

BESIDES TJACK! What is our biggest weakness?

PLEASE!
    For the love of God, leave the TJack discussion in the other threads...we've already been through what we think he brings (or doesn't) to the team several times...and pretty much come to the conclusion we won't know til September or later.
    I just want to take off the purple goggles for awhile and look at the rest of our beloved 2008 Minnesota VIKINGS and talk about what our biggest weaknesses going forward might be.

I'm leaving Injuries and Luck off the list, cuz the first can happen to any team at any time and swiftly devastate a playoff team to where they're barely competing, much less playoff bound; and I'm afraid too many of us just might pick how the ball bounces and the refs hate us, while I'd rather look more closely at the actual team and the pieces we have in place.

What is most likely to give the 2008 Vikings problems, and either keep them out, or knock them out of the playoffs??

***I'm open to suggestions.
    If I missed an option you think should be there, Wait to Vote, and just let me know, and we'll look at if it fits somwhere, or needs its own spot...I'm sure theres an infinite amount of things we could divide into
    ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Re: BESIDES TJACK! What is our biggest weakness?

I voted for the OL, but with that choice i mean the OTs. Is BMac gonna get suspended? If so for how long, and then can Chase Johnson/Artis Hicks fill it for 2-4 games. And when BMac comes back, can he get better at pass protection. And then on the other side, we saw some improvement from Cook at RT last year, but can he learn more this year? Last year was his 1st year plays T, and his 1st starting in the NFL, i believe he will have a solid year this year.

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

OL. No question.

That being said, the team has the time to still add depth there before the season and they have addressed all of the other problems so far so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that if talent becomes available, they will go after them.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    OL. No question.

That being said, the team has the time to still add depth there before the season and they have addressed all of the other problems so far so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that if talent becomes available, they will go after them.
    Totally could happen.
    But whats the chances that guy can come in and pick up our "complicated zone hybrid system" in time to contribute this year?

I'm voting OL too.
    Better pass blocking would help whoever is QB...and I'd really like to see the presnap penalties eliminated.
    I'm stoked with the defense in general, and like what Frazier was doing last year, so no worries there!
    I was a bit concerned about Tapeh taking over for Tony, but they signed him long term, so they must like him, and we know Dugan can crack some skullz blocking if needed.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive line as it stands right now, we MAY have the players in camp, but as of right now we don't know how they'll fair on the field.
    Our depth is questionable

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    OL. No question.

Totally could happen.
    But whats the chances that guy can come in and pick up our "complicated zone hybrid system" in time to contribute this year?

I'm voting OL too.
    Better pass blocking would help whoever is QB...and I'd really like to see the presnap penalties eliminated.
    I'm stoked with the defense in general, and like what Frazier was doing last year, so no worries there!
    I was a bit concerned about Tapeh taking over for Tony, but they signed him long term, so they must like him, and we know Dugan can crack some skullz blocking if needed.
    The chances are greater if we get someone who comes from a team that uses the same blocking style we do. There are other teams who do and that is where I would focus. While the blocking may be more complicated than some, it isn't rocket science and other teams have shown that you can bring guys in and have them function properly from the start if you have the right coaches and get the right players.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

OL, especially if mckinnie is suspended

Thanks josdin00

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I am going with offensive play calling. Most of us know that the vanilla offense we saw last year will keep us from advancing in the playoffs. Too predictable IMO. Smart coaches win Super Bowls.

I'm concerned about that too, but think our young guys maturity level and comfort with the system will help open the playbook too.

Another concern I'm surprised no one's mentioned is the LB/mid zone coverage...which definitely seemed a weakness last season.
    Guess we're all assuming Jared Allen helps that too by bringing pressure himself and allowing more coverage there with less blitzs.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive play calling. We must lean what 4 WR sets look like. We must learn what a screen looks like. Me must stop running up the gut when everyone and the watercooler is waiting for the handoff.
    Can i see an audible at the line please?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVh0n03DnjQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast