Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re:Berrian wants to get back to being big-play guy

I think Rice takes a step back. Partially because I think last season was a career year although that's obviously a guess at this point. And because he's injured right now, it seems semi-serious, and history shows once he gets hurt it lingers and lingers and lingers.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Child please Berrian

Berrian was a bad signing to begin with.

And that's not my Packers side speaking.

He had one good year in Chicago where just about everything got forced to him (Name 1 WR on that 2007 Bears team next to him. Don't think you'll get further than Muhammed at 35 years old.)

Then the Vikes came in and threw a whole lot of cash at him. Way more than even the Bears, who had absolutely no one at WR, were willing to throw at him.

And that was obviously because the Vikes didn't have anyone at WR, either. Bobby Wade, 2nd year Sidney Rice, Aundrae Allison and Robert Ferguson. None of those were starting material.

The expectations that that FA contract he got set are quite unrealistic. If anything, he's a nice weapon, very nice depth, but not great in terms of a starter.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

"Jackson completed 6-7 while Rosenfels connected on all six of his attempts. The only incomplete pass from Jackson was a perfectly thrown deep ball that was dropped by Bernard Berrian."

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/camp2010/notebook/camp10/080910.html

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Rockmolder wrote:

And that's not my Packers side speaking.

He had one good year in Chicago where just about everything got forced to him (Name 1 WR on that 2007 Bears team next to him. Don't think you'll get further than Muhammed at 35 years old.)

Then the Vikes came in and threw a whole lot of cash at him. Way more than even the Bears, who had absolutely no one at WR, were willing to throw at him.

And that was obviously because the Vikes didn't have anyone at WR, either. Bobby Wade, 2nd year Sidney Rice, Aundrae Allison and Robert Ferguson. None of those were starting material.

The expectations that that FA contract he got set are quite unrealistic. If anything, he's a nice weapon, very nice depth, but not great in terms of a starter.

I think for the most part majority of everyone here will agree with that

He was overpaid due to us REALLY needing a WR.. And the way FAs were getting paid

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I won't argue that for sure. He was paid because of the market and the fact the Vikings were not very prolific at the position when he came over. He went from the #1 receiver to just possibly being a 4th option last year. I know he isn't there on the depth chart but that's not what I am talking about. I'm talking more of who Favre trusted to go to. Iif you count Shiancoe I think Favre liked Rice, Harvin and Shiancoe over BB.

Maybe he and Favre started finding some chemistry toward the end of last year. I guess we'll see. I sure hope he ahs a big year.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I'll agree he was overpaid, but I have absolutely no problems with his production numbers. His was coming off of a big year with a terrible QB in Chicago. Out of Berrian's 4 best years, 3 of them are here in Minnesota. For how pathetic our WRs were in 2005-2007, I would without a doubt make the signing all over again.

Berrian also is key for versatility with how we use Harvin, both when he's in the slot and when he's moved into the backfield.

I'll gladly take the guy who has 48+ catches in four straight seasons. Harvin and Rice haven't done that yet, so its nice to have a guy who you know will be consistent, even if he's not consistently great.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

V-Unit wrote:
    I'll agree he was overpaid, but I have absolutely no problems with his production numbers. His was coming off of a big year with a terrible QB in Chicago. Out of Berrian's 4 best years, 3 of them are here in Minnesota. For how pathetic our WRs were in 2005-2007, I would without a doubt make the signing all over again.

Berrian also is key for versatility with how we use Harvin, both when he's in the slot and when he's moved into the backfield.

I'll gladly take the guy who has 48+ catches in four straight seasons. Harvin and Rice haven't done that yet, so its nice to have a guy who you know will be consistent, even if he's not consistently great.

-V-
    huh? Berrian was only here 2 years. He's had 4 good years, his best was as a Viking, second and third were as a Bear, fourth as a Viking (this year). His first two years weren't impressive really at all.

Having said that, he's a valuable part, and people advocating releasing him (not even trading him) need ot have their head examined.

Rockmolder wrote:
    I strongly disagree. Berrian has not hurt the Vikings. He had a good year in 2008, and a very average year in 2009 (Seriously, the value over replacement statistics put him right at average).

Does he have weaknesses? Absolutely. He drops more passes than he should and he is fragile. But when healthy he is an above average receiver and a good player for the Vikes. He was a good player at a position where the team desperately needed help in 2008, and he made a lot of big catches. He was an average player when the team was stronger in 2009.

The thing folks really seem to not like is his big contract. Why? It doesn't cost me anything extra to watch him play. His contract hasn't kept the Vikes from bringing in other big time and big money players such as Jared Allen or Brett Favre. And it doesn't hamstring the organization in the future.

He also was a good choice of the 'big name WRs' available when the Vikes signed him. The names that year were Moss, Berrian, Stallworth, Porter and Hackett. Moss wasn't really available to others (particularly a team that had run him out of town and had a bad QB situation), and those other three have been significantly worse than Berrian. That wasn't a particularly bad free agent class for wide receivers, the year before the big names were Curtis, Stallworth, and Wade. Curtis had one good year in Philly but fell off the map after that. Wade did an okay job for the Vikes, but is not as talented as Berrian

Point being, this guy helps the team and is still young enough (29) to continue to do so for several more years. That's a good signing for the team and the fans, even if it costs Wilf some cash and even if Berrian never makes it into the Hall of Fame without buying a ticket.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

I wouldnt say Berrian was a bad signing by any means.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast