Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Bernard Berrian talks, Bob Sansevere listens

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    Diddnt want to start another topic and take up space.

But Berrian will be playing on Astroturf instead of that grass at soldier field.

so that means he will be atleast half a second faster right? and a half of a second is alot in the NFL. i expect him and peterson and Jaymar and Allison to burning up and down that turf. cause they wouldnt have to wear cleats or run in grass.
    Nobody plays on Astroturf anymore, it's FieldTurf, not the velcro-covered concrete that they used to play on.
    I don't think it's any faster of a surface then a well maintained, dry grass field.
    We went from Superturf to Astroturf to FieldTurf.
    Shame on you for not knowing that IS... FieldTurf is made in Canada.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FieldTurf
    I found this funny
    The Ford Field installation differs slightly from the standard installation as the recycled rubber used is made from Firestone tires.[2]
    perhaps thats why the lions always blow.
    LMAO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    Diddnt want to start another topic and take up space.

But Berrian will be playing on Astroturf instead of that grass at soldier field.

so that means he will be atleast half a second faster right? and a half of a second is alot in the NFL. i expect him and peterson and Jaymar and Allison to burning up and down that turf. cause they wouldnt have to wear cleats or run in grass.
    Nobody plays on Astroturf anymore, it's FieldTurf, not the velcro-covered concrete that they used to play on.
    I don't think it's any faster of a surface then a well maintained, dry grass field.
    We went from Superturf to Astroturf to FieldTurf.
    Shame on you for not knowing that IS... FieldTurf is made in Canada.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FieldTurf
    Haha, I did know that, what are you talking about?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

so playing on our turf doesnt make u faster than what u would be playing on soldier field

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"SharperImage" wrote:
    so playing on our turf doesnt make u faster than what u would be playing on soldier field
    Not true, for every action there is an opposite but equal reaction... with the less give of astroturf, it reacts faster than softer grass, allowing for a greater push off the field.

Same principle with springs/shocks on a mountain bike... if you have rear shocks on your mountain bike, someone without rear shocks will beat you every time because less of the energy being exerted is going to waste.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

While i love BB's attitude, i think he needs more time on film.
    The issues that hurt our team last year wasn't the long ball it was completing the middle passes.
    Teams ran a deep cover three with a Free Stfty about 20 yards off the ball( see the skins game)
    THe WRs covered the Deep 3rd and the F/S helped as he saw fit. It stopped the deep ball while allowing 8 other men to stack the box.

What needs to be fixed is the medium passing routes. 8-7 yards off the ball. The bigest correction to this would be from the QB. Correctly reading where the holes in the defense will be is a skill that takes time and it's not one that TJ had last year. Teams disquised who was coming and dropped LBS and Safties back into coverage. This befuddled our young Qb.

He has already stated that he has a better understanding of what the entire team is doing on offense so perharps this will improve.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "SharperImage" wrote:
    Not true, for every action there is an opposite but equal reaction... with the less give of astroturf, it reacts faster than softer grass, allowing for a greater push off the field.

Same principle with springs/shocks on a mountain bike... if you have rear shocks on your mountain bike, someone without rear shocks will beat you every time because less of the energy being exerted is going to waste.
    As C Mac D stated. Theoretically there is still an advantage. Historically though, We haven't seen turf teams use their advantage like they used to. Teams like the run'n'shoot Oilers, run'n'gun Vikings, and the greatest show on turf. Those were great teams that were made better by the fact they played on astroturf. I don't think we'll ever see something like that again. Fieldturf does not make a good team great, or a great team better.

Also, the "turf teams cant win SBs" theory went out the door as Fieldturf became standard. I don't count the Rams because they won it on turf, but the Colts proved naysayers wrong.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    The issues that hurt our team last year wasn't the long ball it was completing the middle passes.
    Teams ran a deep cover three with a Free Stfty about 20 yards off the ball( see the skins game)
    THe WRs covered the Deep 3rd and the F/S helped as he saw fit. It stopped the deep ball while allowing 8 other men to stack the box.

What needs to be fixed is the medium passing routes. 8-7 yards off the ball. The bigest correction to this would be from the QB. Correctly reading where the holes in the defense will be is a skill that takes time and it's not one that TJ had last year. Teams disquised who was coming and dropped LBS and Safties back into coverage. This befuddled our young Qb.

He has already stated that he has a better understanding of what the entire team is doing on offense so perharps this will improve.
    There was little to no attempt to disguise the cover 3 by Wash..They had used it all year, so it should have been no surprise to the Vikings. So it wasn't a question of reading the defense.It was a lack of execution with inaccurate passing when trying to attack the corners in the flats and along the sidelines.
    There is spot under the safety that should be vunerable, but their deep safety is a beast with speed.
    I expect Berrian will have most of his impact inside the safeties this coming year with occasional catches over the top.
    We shall see if TJ can connect.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

There was little to no attempt to disguise the cover 3 by Wash..They had used it all year, so it should have been no surprise to the Vikings. So it wasn't a question of reading the defense.It was a lack of execution with inaccurate passing when trying to attack the corners in the flats and along the sidelines.
    There is spot under the safety that should be vunerable, but their deep safety is a beast with speed.
    I expect Berrian will have most of his impact inside the safeties this coming year with occasional catches over the top.
    Wow!
    Great Posts!

I think the areas we struggled most was the midranges as well. WRs were unable to get seperation on the quick slant and/or the out. Rice was the only one who could get open on the fade, short and long. Wade was the only one who could consistently run a good dig and/or deep post. When all that goes wrong, the curl won't work. :'(

From what I have seen of Berrian, he is best at the deep routes, along the sidelines, and out patterns.
    ;D That is exactly what we need.
    ;D It is then up to Rice to be Mr. Consistency, good in the midranges, enough to pull up the DBs so TJ can hit him, or Berrian deep.
    ;D Wade will hopefully be more effective with his slants and deep ins because of the mismatches that happen with him as a slot guy.

The deep route suffered for two reasons:
    :-[ TJ's inaccuracy and Twill's drops.
    :'( Hopefully the better receiving corps will help TJ more. Last year, I remember a lot of overthrown balls, but also good coverage under the ball. You guys remember when Daunte would throw a pass to a wide open WR, who would in turn make a spectacular grab, right? Most of the time it was a underthrown bomb that Moss had to slow up for, but he still caught it. An open target is an easy target.
    8)

Also, TJ's reads must improve.
    > I agree with KC there. Hopefully another year of experience will be enough. He still seemed to stare down receivers.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Wow!
    Great Posts!

I think the areas we struggled most was the midranges as well. WRs were unable to get seperation on the quick slant and/or the out. Rice was the only one who could get open on the fade, short and long. Wade was the only one who could consistently run a good dig and/or deep post. When all that goes wrong, the curl won't work. :'(

From what I have seen of Berrian, he is best at the deep routes, along the sidelines, and out patterns.
    ;D It is then up to Rice to be Mr. Consistency, good in the midranges, enough to pull up the DBs so TJ can hit him, or Berrian deep.
    ;D Wade will hopefully be more effective with his slants and deep ins because of the mismatches that happen with him as a slot guy.

:'( Hopefully the better receiving corps will help TJ more. Last year, I remember a lot of overthrown balls, but also good coverage under the ball. You guys remember when Daunte would throw a pass to a wide open WR, who would in turn make a spectacular grab, right? Most of the time it was a underthrown bomb that Moss had to slow up for, but he still caught it. An open target is an easy target.
    8)

> I agree with KC there. Hopefully another year of experience will be enough. He still seemed to stare down receivers.
    good analysis.
    ;D > 8) ??? : :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
    lol!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"V" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Wow!
    Great Posts!

8)

Improved pass protection aside, the greatest asset TJ will have this year is his knowledge of the offense.
    Staring down receivers is a direct result of not being sure of where your guy is gonna be on a certain route.
    Rice, Fergie, Allison, Shank, Wade were all new to the team last year.
    Surely TJ was developing on the job, but all of these guys were learning the KAO.
    [s]Twill was the only...[/s] actually there is no reason to bring his name up.
    If TJ and the receivers can establish continuity and trust, TJ will be markedly improved from last year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast