Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

tastywaves wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Who the hell would notice?
    Neither guy will be on the team next year.
    And this gives me the opportunity to rant about why this year's team is so different from last years.

There are too many marginal NFL players starting for the Vikings this year.
    And there are a number of veterans who once were good, but are now just collecting paychecks.
    Good point doc. Problem is, all teams are loaded with "marginal" players, sprinkled with a few stars.

If the stars live up to thier end, the marginal players live up to thier end, and the team plays like a team, its never noticed.

Kindof funny when you think about it. I have been watching a bit of the Browns this year. Spend more time trying to figure out who thier "Marginal" players who are making plays than I do actually watching them play.

In the end, no team can be comprised of just stars. Even Jerry Jones can't afford that team.
    OK, let me just clear this up a little bit.

Not sure how you are looking at it, but my opinion is, the quality of your marginal or back up players is what often times makes your team. You never win if you aren't a team.

The quality of your 'marginal' or backup players is directly related to what you pay your stars.And that is evident in how our special teams play.

For example, the guy you call Bryzcheapski was just that under the McCombs years.McCombs wouldn't let him spend any money.
    But Zygi has opened up the checkbook. Since then he has grossly overpaid Hutchinson,McKinnie,Berrian,Allen,and Favre.
    Who among them are earning their paycheck this year?

Because of that you end up with players like Tahi,Asher Allen,Shepherd,Farwell,Lewis,Baskett,Williams, Johnson and just about most of the special teams players in a non-skilled position.
    Upgrade the quality of these players by not overpaying your stars, and you may end up with a Patriots like organization.

Let this year be a lesson to the Vikings organization.
    Wake the frig up and change coarse.
    I think you and I are saying the same thing. Just in a different manner my friend.
    Before this year, no one would say we overpaid for Hutchinson, Allen, or Favre.

Three players in bold are former Eagles, I can't really attribute that coincidence to lack of available funds.

In the past, haven't we been the team shockingly under the salary cap? Even in 2009 we were in the top half of the league in cap space.

There is no cap now, so I'm unsure how paying our stars with big contracts prevents us from signing superior non-stars.

As far as the Patriots comparison goes, very, very few teams have in place the luxury that the Patriots do. A hall of fame QB with a hall of fame coach on the sideline. Those two guys will make any players around them work. It's clear why - they pay to protect said HoF QB. The other team with this in place? The Colts. Peyton Manning is the coach and the player, he's ridiculous.

When we get a combination like Brady+Belichick or a Peyton Manning type god amongst men, maybe then we will be able to plug in role players and mediocre talents, but until then we need guys who are going to win their individual matchup more times than not, not guys who rely on a QB to put the ball where only they can catch it, no matter how well they're covered.

And we'd better be ready to pay our stars this off-season and next from the looks of it.
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php
    Nice trail of discussion here and highlights the true struggle every year for most NFL teams. Very hard to have repeated success in today's NFL, unless you are the Pats or Colts.
    Love the last comment/sentence.

For me, those two teams are successful cause they have stability not only at the HCing position but in the FO as well.

Don't get me wrong, both organizations have seen turnover, but they have replaced from within in almost every instance and plugged a guy into the spot just vacated by the guy they promoted.

Additionally, they do the same on the field. Let the big name go, move a guy up who has been in the backup role and if, BIG IF, the guy on the bench can't do it, then they go out and get a Vet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

What does any of this have to do with Berrian and Lewis changing numbers?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Zeus wrote:

=Z=
    TOPIC
    TONIC
    TUNIC
    TUNIS
    TUNES
    DUNES
    DINES
    DIKES
    FIRE CHILDRESS

Blame it on doc, he started it.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Zeus wrote:
    Not sure, but I doubt either will have a Vikings number the next season the NFL plays.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234