Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Who the hell would notice?
    Neither guy will be on the team next year.
    And this gives me the opportunity to rant about why this year's team is so different from last years.

    There are too many marginal NFL players starting for the Vikings this year.
    And there are a number of veterans who once were good, but are now just collecting paychecks.
    Good point doc. Problem is, all teams are loaded with "marginal" players, sprinkled with a few stars.

    If the stars live up to thier end, the marginal players live up to thier end, and the team plays like a team, its never noticed.

    Kindof funny when you think about it. I have been watching a bit of the Browns this year. Spend more time trying to figure out who thier "Marginal" players who are making plays than I do actually watching them play.

    In the end, no team can be comprised of just stars. Even Jerry Jones can't afford that team.
    OK, let me just clear this up a little bit.

    Not sure how you are looking at it, but my opinion is, the quality of your marginal or back up players is what often times makes your team. You never win if you aren't a team.

    The quality of your 'marginal' or backup players is directly related to what you pay your stars.And that is evident in how our special teams play.

    For example, the guy you call Bryzcheapski was just that under the McCombs years.McCombs wouldn't let him spend any money.
    But Zygi has opened up the checkbook. Since then he has grossly overpaid Hutchinson,McKinnie,Berrian,Allen,and Favre.
    Who among them are earning their paycheck this year?

    Because of that you end up with players like Tahi,Asher Allen,Shepherd,Farwell,Lewis,Baskett,Williams, Johnson and just about most of the special teams players in a non-skilled position.
    Upgrade the quality of these players by not overpaying your stars, and you may end up with a Patriots like organization.

    Let this year be a lesson to the Vikings organization.
    Wake the frig up and change coarse.
    Not if you still have the three stooges running the program.

  2. #22
    Holzberg is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    57

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    I don't understand why the NFL would allow them to change numbers when they didn't allow OchoCinco to change his name
    in the middle of the season. From what I remember, he would of had to pay Reebok the cost of the remaining merchandise
    they had with his name on it which ended up being a lot of money so he waited for the next season.

    Woudln't BB and GL have to do the same?

    or is it because they both suck and no one has their jerseys anyway?

  3. #23
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Holzberg wrote:
    I don't understand why the NFL would allow them to change numbers when they didn't allow OchoCinco to change his name
    in the middle of the season. From what I remember, he would of had to pay Reebok the cost of the remaining merchandise
    they had with his name on it which ended up being a lot of money so he waited for the next season.

    Woudln't BB and GL have to do the same?

    or is it because they both suck and no one has their jerseys anyway?
    Can you find a 2010 Bernard Berrian or Greg Lewis jersey for sale out there?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #24
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,782
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Holzberg wrote:
    I don't understand why the NFL would allow them to change numbers when they didn't allow OchoCinco to change his name
    in the middle of the season. From what I remember, he would of had to pay Reebok the cost of the remaining merchandise
    they had with his name on it which ended up being a lot of money so he waited for the next season.

    Woudln't BB and GL have to do the same?

    or is it because they both suck and no one has their jerseys anyway?
    and give that man a coconut for answering his own question ..lol
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #25
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    AngloVike wrote:
    Holzberg wrote:
    I don't understand why the NFL would allow them to change numbers when they didn't allow OchoCinco to change his name
    in the middle of the season. From what I remember, he would of had to pay Reebok the cost of the remaining merchandise
    they had with his name on it which ended up being a lot of money so he waited for the next season.

    Woudln't BB and GL have to do the same?

    or is it because they both suck and no one has their jerseys anyway?
    and give that man a coconut for answering his own question ..lol
    Anglo, I love the Stig avatar.

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Who the hell would notice?
    Neither guy will be on the team next year.
    And this gives me the opportunity to rant about why this year's team is so different from last years.

    There are too many marginal NFL players starting for the Vikings this year.
    And there are a number of veterans who once were good, but are now just collecting paychecks.
    Good point doc. Problem is, all teams are loaded with "marginal" players, sprinkled with a few stars.

    If the stars live up to thier end, the marginal players live up to thier end, and the team plays like a team, its never noticed.

    Kindof funny when you think about it. I have been watching a bit of the Browns this year. Spend more time trying to figure out who thier "Marginal" players who are making plays than I do actually watching them play.

    In the end, no team can be comprised of just stars. Even Jerry Jones can't afford that team.
    OK, let me just clear this up a little bit.

    Not sure how you are looking at it, but my opinion is, the quality of your marginal or back up players is what often times makes your team. You never win if you aren't a team.

    The quality of your 'marginal' or backup players is directly related to what you pay your stars.And that is evident in how our special teams play.

    For example, the guy you call Bryzcheapski was just that under the McCombs years.McCombs wouldn't let him spend any money.
    But Zygi has opened up the checkbook. Since then he has grossly overpaid Hutchinson,McKinnie,Berrian,Allen,and Favre.
    Who among them are earning their paycheck this year?

    Because of that you end up with players like Tahi,Asher Allen,Shepherd,Farwell,Lewis,Baskett,Williams, Johnson and just about most of the special teams players in a non-skilled position.
    Upgrade the quality of these players by not overpaying your stars, and you may end up with a Patriots like organization.

    Let this year be a lesson to the Vikings organization.
    Wake the frig up and change coarse.
    I think you and I are saying the same thing. Just in a different manner my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Wanna hear something funny about these two? Well I'm not sure if it's funny or sad, anyway - These two guys who have been with our team for a couple years now? This season in 8 games Berrian has 176 yards, in 9 games Greg Lewis has 140.

    In his first and only 4 games with us, Moss had 174, just as many as Berrian, more than Lewis or any other receiver on our roster besides Harvin.

    Maybe after they switch numbers they should just quit. They have half as many receptions as our RB who is allegedly a sub-par receiver. Big play Berrian? 9.8 yards per reception.
    You know I can't help it so forgive me my friend.........

    I wonder how many yards PatsRandy would have had if he played on every down? :P
    The answer- More than anyone else on the team including harvin. Too bad the coach is a dumbass who can't figure out how to use the talent.
    Is your point of discussion that the coaches didn't use the talent, in this case PatsRandy wrong?

    Comeon, they were using him the same way the Pats were using and how the Titans are now using him and thats as a decoy to pull two defenders deep as he runs and 8 and a 9 route. Thats what got him all pissy with both of the staffs.

    Heck, if nothing else, the Vikings staff tried to get him to run something other than an 8 and 9 route in the first couple of games and he actually was part of the offense. Problem is, PatsRandy doesn't like to run in traffic like that and quit doing it.

    If he was still here, how many reverse passes would we have tried on the opening play of the game by now?
    Not sure what your point is here. A reverse has nothing to do with a pass. But if your trying to say that our staff doesn't run reverses is kindof out there.

    I bet if we were to look at how teams used gimmick plays like reverses, we would find that the Vikes staff does about as many as the rest of the teams.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Who the hell would notice?
    Neither guy will be on the team next year.
    And this gives me the opportunity to rant about why this year's team is so different from last years.

    There are too many marginal NFL players starting for the Vikings this year.
    And there are a number of veterans who once were good, but are now just collecting paychecks.
    Good point doc. Problem is, all teams are loaded with "marginal" players, sprinkled with a few stars.

    If the stars live up to thier end, the marginal players live up to thier end, and the team plays like a team, its never noticed.

    Kindof funny when you think about it. I have been watching a bit of the Browns this year. Spend more time trying to figure out who thier "Marginal" players who are making plays than I do actually watching them play.

    In the end, no team can be comprised of just stars. Even Jerry Jones can't afford that team.
    OK, let me just clear this up a little bit.

    Not sure how you are looking at it, but my opinion is, the quality of your marginal or back up players is what often times makes your team. You never win if you aren't a team.

    The quality of your 'marginal' or backup players is directly related to what you pay your stars.And that is evident in how our special teams play.

    For example, the guy you call Bryzcheapski was just that under the McCombs years.McCombs wouldn't let him spend any money.
    But Zygi has opened up the checkbook. Since then he has grossly overpaid Hutchinson,McKinnie,Berrian,Allen,and Favre.
    Who among them are earning their paycheck this year?

    Because of that you end up with players like Tahi,Asher Allen,Shepherd,Farwell,Lewis,Baskett,Williams, Johnson and just about most of the special teams players in a non-skilled position.
    Upgrade the quality of these players by not overpaying your stars, and you may end up with a Patriots like organization.

    Let this year be a lesson to the Vikings organization.
    Wake the frig up and change coarse.
    I think you and I are saying the same thing. Just in a different manner my friend.
    Before this year, no one would say we overpaid for Hutchinson, Allen, or Favre.

    Three players in bold are former Eagles, I can't really attribute that coincidence to lack of available funds.

    In the past, haven't we been the team shockingly under the salary cap? Even in 2009 we were in the top half of the league in cap space.

    There is no cap now, so I'm unsure how paying our stars with big contracts prevents us from signing superior non-stars.


    As far as the Patriots comparison goes, very, very few teams have in place the luxury that the Patriots do. A hall of fame QB with a hall of fame coach on the sideline. Those two guys will make any players around them work. It's clear why - they pay to protect said HoF QB. The other team with this in place? The Colts. Peyton Manning is the coach and the player, he's ridiculous.


    When we get a combination like Brady+Belichick or a Peyton Manning type god amongst men, maybe then we will be able to plug in role players and mediocre talents, but until then we need guys who are going to win their individual matchup more times than not, not guys who rely on a QB to put the ball where only they can catch it, no matter how well they're covered.

    And we'd better be ready to pay our stars this off-season and next from the looks of it.
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Mr Anderson wrote:
    ......snip.......

    And we'd better be ready to pay our stars this off-season and next from the looks of it.
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php
    Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.......

    By the way, I have the link bookmarked.......

    Scary isn't it, especially if you think about those names with the idea that the 2011 players, that the staff intends to retain, should have already been resigned as well as a predominance of the 2012 players.

    Again, most staffs like to resign guys a year early. Saves some money, shows the players you want them there, and shows the other players that good play will be rewarded.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869

    Re: Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis switch numbers.

    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Who the hell would notice?
    Neither guy will be on the team next year.
    And this gives me the opportunity to rant about why this year's team is so different from last years.

    There are too many marginal NFL players starting for the Vikings this year.
    And there are a number of veterans who once were good, but are now just collecting paychecks.
    Good point doc. Problem is, all teams are loaded with "marginal" players, sprinkled with a few stars.

    If the stars live up to thier end, the marginal players live up to thier end, and the team plays like a team, its never noticed.

    Kindof funny when you think about it. I have been watching a bit of the Browns this year. Spend more time trying to figure out who thier "Marginal" players who are making plays than I do actually watching them play.

    In the end, no team can be comprised of just stars. Even Jerry Jones can't afford that team.
    OK, let me just clear this up a little bit.

    Not sure how you are looking at it, but my opinion is, the quality of your marginal or back up players is what often times makes your team. You never win if you aren't a team.

    The quality of your 'marginal' or backup players is directly related to what you pay your stars.And that is evident in how our special teams play.

    For example, the guy you call Bryzcheapski was just that under the McCombs years.McCombs wouldn't let him spend any money.
    But Zygi has opened up the checkbook. Since then he has grossly overpaid Hutchinson,McKinnie,Berrian,Allen,and Favre.
    Who among them are earning their paycheck this year?

    Because of that you end up with players like Tahi,Asher Allen,Shepherd,Farwell,Lewis,Baskett,Williams, Johnson and just about most of the special teams players in a non-skilled position.
    Upgrade the quality of these players by not overpaying your stars, and you may end up with a Patriots like organization.

    Let this year be a lesson to the Vikings organization.
    Wake the frig up and change coarse.
    I think you and I are saying the same thing. Just in a different manner my friend.
    Before this year, no one would say we overpaid for Hutchinson, Allen, or Favre.

    Three players in bold are former Eagles, I can't really attribute that coincidence to lack of available funds.

    In the past, haven't we been the team shockingly under the salary cap? Even in 2009 we were in the top half of the league in cap space.

    There is no cap now, so I'm unsure how paying our stars with big contracts prevents us from signing superior non-stars.


    As far as the Patriots comparison goes, very, very few teams have in place the luxury that the Patriots do. A hall of fame QB with a hall of fame coach on the sideline. Those two guys will make any players around them work. It's clear why - they pay to protect said HoF QB. The other team with this in place? The Colts. Peyton Manning is the coach and the player, he's ridiculous.


    When we get a combination like Brady+Belichick or a Peyton Manning type god amongst men, maybe then we will be able to plug in role players and mediocre talents, but until then we need guys who are going to win their individual matchup more times than not, not guys who rely on a QB to put the ball where only they can catch it, no matter how well they're covered.

    And we'd better be ready to pay our stars this off-season and next from the looks of it.
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsmin.php
    Nice trail of discussion here and highlights the true struggle every year for most NFL teams. Very hard to have repeated success in today's NFL, unless you are the Pats or Colts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. bernard berrian on tv!
    By purplengold in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
  2. Greg Lewis situation
    By Bubba Jed in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM
  3. Greg Lewis Impact Player
    By oaklandzoo24 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
  4. Bernard Berrian
    By ktarinze in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 02:10 AM
  5. Bernard Berrian Talks
    By C Mac D in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •