Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    litlharsh is offline Coordinator

Re: Bernard Berrian could be quite a catch

Yep and if our wideouts can't catch a T-Jack fastball from 5 feet away we'll just cycle through every wideout in the league until we can find ones that can, right?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Can we trust any quotes from Wade?

JK!
    Does he know a good WR when he sees one?
    LOL!

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=tb04512 link=topic=45338.msg786018#msg786018 date=1212080242]
    [quote author=gagarr link=topic=45338.msg786009#msg786009 date=1212079768]
    "I think the next week after, that's when we started," Berrian said. "It's been a while. No less than two days a week, and most of the time it was three. I'd say we were out there probably a good hour each day."

2 to 3 hours a week???
    Is this normal?
    Dedication to me would be 2-3 hours a day.

I'm hoping they get it together by reg season.

As for all this talk about how HARD TJ throws the ball.
    It might be good to stop the defenders from making a break on the ball, but if the receivers can't catch it, it really doesn't matter.

If the receivers can't adjust to catching his cannon balls, he needs to adjust his throws.
    His job is to make a completion, NOT to just get the ball to the receiver.
    It's the sign of a good QB.

its the receivers jobs to catch the ball, if the QB gets the ball to them and it hits them in the hands then they better catch it no excuses
    I agree for the most part, but would argue that the QB's velocity in the throw should be taken into account.
    So IMO, 20% of it falls back onto the QB for instances such as tossing a bullet when only a lob would be required, causing the WR to drop the pass on his slant route because he's expecting the QB's nice easy pass.
    If the QB does something the WR doesn't expect, the WR will be much more likely to drop the pass.
    IMO thats what practice is for, to know what is going to happen in the game, if hes throwing bullets in practice then he needs to bring it over to the game, however the receiver should be able to adjust to any ball thats thrown to them
    Correct...assuming he is getting consistancy from the QB.
    "the receiver should be able to adjust to any ball thats thrown to them"

So by all this logic, if the receivers aren't good enough to catch a hard ball.
    TJ shouldn't care if they catch it as long as he gets it there, as if the receiver drops it and the Vikes have to punt, at least we can't say it's TJ's fault.

I think a good QB needs to know how to adjust his speed, not only for the situation (screen), but also who he's throwing too.
    The goal is the catch.
    [/quote]

Favre's WRs never complained about the velocity of his throws...neither should TJack's.
    It's only pussies like TWill who couldn't catch the balls that TJack was throwing.
    [/quote]

Yeah...Favre broke his WRs fingers on occassion, and so did Elway. Nobody ever told them to lighten up on their throws, and I do not want T-Jack to either. No sense having a strong armed QB, if you tell him not to use it.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Chazz" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=45338.msg786026#msg786026 date=1212080655]
    "I think the next week after, that's when we started," Berrian said. "It's been a while. No less than two days a week, and most of the time it was three. I'd say we were out there probably a good hour each day."

2 to 3 hours a week???
    Is this normal?

It might be good to stop the defenders from making a break on the ball, but if the receivers can't catch it, it really doesn't matter.

If the receivers can't adjust to catching his cannon balls, he needs to adjust his throws.

its the receivers jobs to catch the ball, if the QB gets the ball to them and it hits them in the hands then they better catch it no excuses
    I agree for the most part, but would argue that the QB's velocity in the throw should be taken into account.
    So IMO, 20% of it falls back onto the QB for instances such as tossing a bullet when only a lob would be required, causing the WR to drop the pass on his slant route because he's expecting the QB's nice easy pass.
    If the QB does something the WR doesn't expect, the WR will be much more likely to drop the pass.
    IMO thats what practice is for, to know what is going to happen in the game, if hes throwing bullets in practice then he needs to bring it over to the game, however the receiver should be able to adjust to any ball thats thrown to them

TJ shouldn't care if they catch it as long as he gets it there, as if the receiver drops it and the Vikes have to punt, at least we can't say it's TJ's fault.

I think a good QB needs to know how to adjust his speed, not only for the situation (screen), but also who he's throwing too.
    The goal is the catch.

[/quote]

Favre's WRs never complained about the velocity of his throws...neither should TJack's.
    It's only pussies like TWill who couldn't catch the balls that TJack was throwing.
    [/quote]

Yeah...Favre broke his WRs fingers on occassion, and so did Elway. Nobody ever told them to lighten up on their throws, and I do not want T-Jack to either. No sense having a strong armed QB, if you tell him not to use it.
    [/quote]

I agree that the best QB's control their velocity for the situation.

Favre reduced the velocity of his throws for his short dink and dunk shit.
    The high velocity stuff was primarily on the mid-range routes and especially in tight coverage.
    Ahman Green was not catching fast balls on swings and screens.

Real short slants are probably the hardest ones to react to the fast balls, this is where Favre, Elway and TJ seem to catch their receivers by surprise on occassion.
    Its easier for the QB to hit his target if he guns it, but it makes it much tougher for the receiver.
    Try catching a fastball from a pitcher standing 15 feet away.. your hands better be in the right spot or forget it.
    Kind of like dodgeball.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=tb04512 link=topic=45338.msg786030#msg786030 date=1212080858]
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=45338.msg786026#msg786026 date=1212080655]

2 to 3 hours a week???
    Is this normal?

The goal is the catch.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree that the best QB's control their velocity for the situation.

Favre reduced the velocity of his throws for his short dink and dunk shit.
    The high velocity stuff was primarily on the mid-range routes and especially in tight coverage.
    Ahman Green was not catching fast balls on swings and screens.

Real short slants are probably the hardest ones to react to the fast balls, this is where Favre, Elway and TJ seem to catch their receivers by surprise on occassion.
    Its easier for the QB to hit his target if he guns it, but it makes it much tougher for the receiver.
    Try catching a fastball from a pitcher standing 15 feet away.. your hands better be in the right spot or forget it.
    Kind of like dodgeball.
    [/quote]

I love how you mentioned Tjack's name in the same breath as Favre and Elway.
    ;D

Valid point though none the less.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I still maintain that Berrian is another deep threat receiver. He is very much like Sidney Rice, who, BTW I also think is a good WR and has huge upside.

But we still need a short-route WR, and/or a tight end. One weakness on this team is the underneath routes.

But Berrian will be great at catching the long ball, and I am also looking forward to that.

BTW, arm strength is overrated. Give me a QB who can read a defense and is accurate any day over a guy with huge arm strength. Rich Gannon had a "weak" arm and so did Joe Montana (relatively). But they made great decisions on the field.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I still maintain that Berrian is another deep threat receiver. He is very much like Sidney Rice, who, BTW I also think is a good WR and has huge upside.

But we still need a short-route WR, and/or a tight end. One weakness on this team is the underneath routes.

But Berrian will be great at catching the long ball, and I am also looking forward to that.

BTW, arm strength is overrated. Give me a QB who can read a defense and is accurate any day over a guy with huge arm strength. Rich Gannon had a "weak" arm and so did Joe Montana (relatively). But they made great decisions on the field.
    you didn't get the memo??? that's what Bobby wade is for.. to run "underneath routes"./... :

I'm with you.. but i thin AA and Ferg, should be able to fill this void!!!... I'll stick with them until i see otherwise... but i do wish we had picked up Hackett.... BB, Rice and Hackett would have been a sick top 3....

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Berrian said he and Jackson haven't had a chance to sit down and watch tape together.
    That word keeps popping up during OTAs.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"gagarr" wrote:

It's the sign of a good QB

Try telling that to Bret Favre. He made a career out of throwing the balls hard.

If the receivers can't catch it, then they need to find ones who can.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123