Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

Tice said:

But I think if Mewelde is good to go, he'll start. If not I thought Mike [Bennett] played pretty well yesterday. He did some good things, blocked very well, blocked very well.

I say:

I told you so! There were a lot of Bennett haters on here saying he couldn't block. He was blocking well last year too. That is why I said it in other posts earlier on this season.

I also watched Moore miss blocks in that game. RBs will miss blocks here and there. But if you think that I am trying to pull the wool over your eyes, take a look for yourself. The one that is most obvious that you will probably see on the lowlights from last weeks game is on the one interception play where Daunte was rolling out or flushed, #30 is on the backside???

Bottom Line:

Moore and Bennett are trying to help this team win. They both have to co-exist. They will both do well. They both have there own strengths.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

Well Tice said before Moore started his first game that one of his weaknesses was blocking in the pass protection schemes the Vikes sometimes use for the RB. He'll get better at that with time, I don't think he was used for that a lot at Tulane.

You're right about Bennett's blocking though. The one that stands out in my memory is the KC game last year, the first TD of the game, Daunte's high pass to Moss in the end zone. Bennett layed a killer block on a KC lineman heading right for Daunte. That block actually saved the TD.

I don't know what to think of Bennett anymore. Of course our running game would be fine without him but if he goes I think we'll miss that raw speed he can turn on to just break for the end zone and make the defense look like couch potatoes. But he's obviously more fragile and injury prone, and I really love what I've seen this year from both Smith and Moore.

Tice has said Moore will start as long as he's healthy and I think that's a good decision. Bennett will get some time in and I think our running game will do better against Indy anyway.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

He's a rookie, what do you expect from him! I don't think Bennett was the greatest blocker when he came in either, and he got most of the snaps in practice as a rookie! Moore was what fourth on the depth chart. How many snaps in preseason practice did he get to work on his blocking? My guess is not that much! Give the guy a break, he has played better than 99% of people would have expected!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

I dont thing snow is saying that MM will do that every game i think hes saying "yes hes a rookie and he will be a bit inconsistant" Bennett is a vet and he doesnt FUMBLE!!!!!! We cannot turn the ball over against Indi cause there offense is so powerful. We need that extra explosiveness in the offense, especaily without moss playing. I still havnt forgot what bennett looked like against the 49ers in preseason, the 49ers D isn't the best but just as good as what we will face this week. Bennett has also improved his pass blocking. If bennett cant handle is we will plug in another guy but i hope he gets his chances to take it the distance. Some of you guys just want to play MM and O Smith but just cause he plays doesnt mean hes gonna take every single snap of the game. We can take him out. I just want him to get another chance just like Raonall Smith got his chance. People were doubting and he has came in and played better than anything we got at LB right know (by the way his concussion was not serious). Without Moss it will help to have that extra explosivness that bennett has.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    He's a rookie, what do you expect from him! I don't think Bennett was the greatest blocker when he came in either, and he got most of the snaps in practice as a rookie! Moore was what fourth on the depth chart. How many snaps in preseason practice did he get to work on his blocking? My guess is not that much! Give the guy a break, he has played better than 99% of people would have expected!
    True, that is my point, he is a rookie. He did a great job and I am sure he will only get better. But I just don't know how All the Bennett haters out there can discount the fact the Bennett is a VET. He knows the offense better than Moore. He has been in this system for 4 yrs now. He has worked with Pep and Moss all that time. We can't just hold him up as the almighty because he had 3 great games. It didn't show when Moss was in the game. But it will get more difficult for him the next few games without Moss.

I really wish him the best. I hope he helps out a lot this year. I don't care who starts and who doesn't I just hate seeing a guy bashed that is helping our team. I hope I wasn't sounding like I was bashing Moore.

I just wanted to get my point across.

Tice must have a lot of faith in him. He sees Moore more than we do. The coaches have a lot of confidence in Moore or he wouldn't be out there on the field. It's all good!

Big C is offline Coordinator

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

I'm so glad there are still people here who think Bennett is good. MM and Smith are really good as well. However, I think it has more to do with the vikings having a good running game (blocking and such) more than anything else. You plug-in a back there and he will make the most of what is given to him. Both Smith and Moore are patient and are great at breaking tackles. Bennet is much faster which makes him more elusive and harder to get a hand on. Like Tiki Barebr maybe. They have different play styles unique to each of them.

It's so sad to see people write Bennet off even after having such a great pre-season. He get's injured on a LOW tackle and some of us are ready to trade him away??!!! Give Bennett a chance to play with the current running game before making judgements.

A lot of people say last season went downhill once Bennet got back from injury last year and his numbers weren't good. That's because our passing game has always openend the running game. Bennet came back soon after Dante got injured and was playing poorly. No passing game means all defenses were shutting down the run.

All the fuming aside, I still think Bennet should earn himself the starting job. It's MMs for now. But I also STRONGLY feel that Smith should earn the starting job as well. I mean how can you give a guy with a suspension a break over someone with an injury :scratch: ?

OK I think I lost my point somewhere in my rant...
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

I defended Bennet at the start of the season but now I would be willing to trade him. He has just had to many injuries for my liking. Any rb must play in pain but play is the key word.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

"vikingstw" wrote:
    I dont thing snow is saying that MM will do that every game i think hes saying "yes hes a rookie and he will be a bit inconsistant" Bennett is a vet and he doesnt FUMBLE!!!!!! We cannot turn the ball over against Indi cause there offense is so powerful. We need that extra explosiveness in the offense, especaily without moss playing. I still havnt forgot what bennett looked like against the 49ers in preseason, the 49ers D isn't the best but just as good as what we will face this week. Bennett has also improved his pass blocking. If bennett cant handle is we will plug in another guy but i hope he gets his chances to take it the distance. Some of you guys just want to play MM and O Smith but just cause he plays doesnt mean hes gonna take every single snap of the game. We can take him out. I just want him to get another chance just like Raonall Smith got his chance. People were doubting and he has came in and played better than anything we got at LB right know (by the way his concussion was not serious). Without Moss it will help to have that extra explosivness that bennett has.
    Bennett does fumble, not that much but he does. (in the red zone last year against San Diego comes to mind!) I like Bennett a lot, don't get me wrong. I just think that it would be terrible to just give him the starting spot back considering what Moore has done. I think it is naive to think that in the NFL, if you are hurt you get your starting spot back no matter what when you come back. Sure Bennett should have his starting job back if Moore was hurting the team, but he pretty much has done nothing but help the team. I have a lot of confidence in the coaching staff to do the right thing and put the players out there that give us the best chance to win, but I guess I just think Tice had Moore on a really short string against the Giants by not playing him that much after the fumble. To me that shows a lack of confidence in his young player!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Calmwind is offline Starter

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

I agree with a few of you in the fact that i really like a respect all three backs, Smith , Bennet and Moore. I wish we could use all three all the time but we all know it is a high possibility one of these guys will be gone before next season. I dont think Moore will be gone Bennet would be a more obvious choice in my mind. Yes he is elite and very fast but he has injury bugs. I wouldn't want any other team to have him but i would rather have Smith, Moore, Williams and Ned. Larry Ned is a very good special teamer and more important to us than alot of people know. I have posted about this briefly in another thread but i strongly lean tword O. Smith because he gets into the endzone from any point on the field. His 60 yard TD reception earlier this season was an underneith pass, he out ran all the defenders so his speed is good, plus he breaks takles and has come along in his bloking. Im sure he has more TD's than any other back we have thru the last 10 games. So my point is he scores which is a big plus in my review of our RB situation.
    Del Rio: "Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

IN BENNETT's DEFENSE

"Calmwind" wrote:
    I agree with a few of you in the fact that i really like a respect all three backs, Smith , Bennet and Moore. I wish we could use all three all the time but we all know it is a high possibility one of these guys will be gone before next season. I dont think Moore will be gone Bennet would be a more obvious choice in my mind. Yes he is elite and very fast but he has injury bugs. I wouldn't want any other team to have him but i would rather have Smith, Moore, Williams and Ned. Larry Ned is a very good special teamer and more important to us than alot of people know. I have posted about this briefly in another thread but i strongly lean tword O. Smith because he gets into the endzone from any point on the field. His 60 yard TD reception earlier this season was an underneith pass, he out ran all the defenders so his speed is good, plus he breaks takles and has come along in his bloking. Im sure he has more TD's than any other back we have thru the last 10 games. So my point is he scores which is a big plus in my review of our RB situation.
    Onterrio probably is the better long term solution...but only if he quits smoking it up...otherwise, Bennett is not as much as an injury problem as many of you think (think Robert Smith) and will come back strong and prove his worth. I think that we should give both Onterrio and Bennett equal amounts of touches in the next few games and see which RB fits in better with our offense...that way the one we want to trade next year can be showcased as well so that we can get maximum trade value for him. Also, Moore is great, but I would look to groom him for more of a change of pace/third down back ala Moe. As for Moe, keep him around for special teams (he is a leader there) and Ned to eventually fill Moe's spot as a special teams leader. Just my two cents, but it delays having to make a decision until the end of the year and allows us to fully evaluate our great stable of RBs in order to set the backfield up for the playoffs and for next year.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast