Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

Bennett won't miss opener

According to MB, he should be ready for the final preseason game against seattle, and if not then for sure against tampa, i think MB is getting a little frustrated, so tice says bennett is an outside shot and names moore the starter and MB says he'll be ready no doubt ??? im not sure about this whole situation

heres a link..... http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5575895.html

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bennett won't miss opener

"natethegreat" wrote:
    According to MB, he should be ready for the final preseason game against seattle, and if not then for sure against tampa, i think MB is getting a little frustrated, so tice says bennett is an outside shot and names moore the starter and MB says he'll be ready no doubt ??? im not sure about this whole situation

Tice doesn't expect Bennett to be ready to start against tampa, which is a little different then Bennett saying he will be ready to play. Mewelde Moore will still start against Tampa, and Bennett may get a few carries in that game, if Tice feels he is ready to play. Tice isn't gonna risk Bennett's health, especially when Bennett has been hurt so often.

Once MM plays good against SD this week and against Tampa week 1, it won't matter how healthy Bennett is, he will be a backup to MM.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "natethegreat" wrote:

Tice doesn't expect Bennett to be ready to start against tampa, which is a little different then Bennett saying he will be ready to play. Mewelde Moore will still start against Tampa, and Bennett may get a few carries in that game, if Tice feels he is ready to play. Tice isn't gonna risk Bennett's health, especially when Bennett has been hurt so often.

Once MM plays good against SD this week and against Tampa week 1, it won't matter how healthy Bennett is, he will be a backup to MM.

It doesn't make sense to give Bennett a couple carries. If he is healthy, then he starts. If he is not then he sits. If Tice does anything different than that I say we get rid of Tice. If he would have came out before the injury and said MeMo is the best RB we have then I would accept it if MeMo starts. If Tice starts MeMo and plays Bennett, that is sending the wrong message to all. This is where Tice needs to get better at being a coach. He hasn't made the mistake yet but I am relating this to peoples thinking about just replacing RBs at will. If the coach says one thing he needs to stick to it.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "natethegreat" wrote:

It doesn't make sense to give Bennett a couple carries. If he is healthy, then he starts. If he is not then he sits. If Tice does anything different than that I say we get rid of Tice. If he would have came out before the injury and said MeMo is the best RB we have then I would accept it if MeMo starts. If Tice starts MeMo and plays Bennett, that is sending the wrong message to all. This is where Tice needs to get better at being a coach. He hasn't made the mistake yet but I am relating this to peoples thinking about just replacing RBs at will. If the coach says one thing he needs to stick to it.

It's called testing a player and getting him back in the fold. It makes lots of sense not to just throw him out there as a starter and give him a ton of carries, when he was just banged up. Just because you think he may be ready to go and he thinks he is, doesn't mean he actually is. You have to be cautious and gradually work him back in, especially with an injury prone player like Bennett. Most likely he will dress and just stand on the sidelines.

All that being said, I really think Tice is using this as a way to let MM basically take the starting spot from Bennett, so Tice doesn't look so bad. If MM plays good against SD on friday, then Tice starts him against Tampa and says he wants to make sure Bennett is 100% healthy before he starts him. Then if MM does good against Tampa in week 1, Tice will say he isn't gonna change things, when they are working well. And that will be the end of Bennett as a starter for the vikes.

It hasn't been a secret that Tice has had some pretty heated discussions this week, with other coaches, about who the starting RB should be on this team. Tice has reportedly been the only guy that thinks it should be Bennett. He is gonna use this little Bennett injury IMO, to test MM and if MM passes that test, to help make himself(Tice) not look like a fool, when he changes his mind and starts MM the rest of the year.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    It's called testing a player and getting him back in the fold. It makes lots of sense not to just throw him out there as a starter and give him a ton of carries, when he was just banged up. Just because you think he may be ready to go and he thinks he is, doesn't mean he actually is. You have to be cautious and gradually work him back in, especially with an injury prone player like Bennett. Most likely he will dress and just stand on the sidelines.

All that being said, I really think Tice is using this as a way to let MM basically take the starting spot from Bennett, so Tice doesn't look so bad. If MM plays good against SD on friday, then Tice starts him against Tampa and says he wants to make sure Bennett is 100% healthy before he starts him. Then if MM does good against Tampa in week 1, Tice will say he isn't gonna change things, when they are working well. And that will be the end of Bennett as a starter for the vikes.

It hasn't been a secret that Tice has had some pretty heated discussions this week, with other coaches, about who the starting RB should be on this team. Tice has reportedly been the only guy that thinks it should be Bennett. He is gonna use this little Bennett injury IMO, to test MM and if MM passes that test, to help make himself(Tice) not look like a fool, when he changes his mind and starts MM the rest of the year.
    I have no problem with him standing on the sideline and watching if he is hurt. If the guy is a starter, and he gets injured, you don't just replace him because his back up had a good game. You make them take it into practice where it is the coach’s evaluation as to who plays. Where the coach can say I thought so and so is out playing the other guy so he will start this week. If the coaches see it and the players see it in practice then it is so(not that the players make the decision but it definitely helps if they team has the confidence in that starter). There might be the chance that some guys practice well and don't play as well in the real game. But I think we would know that by now about Bennett. Why let them both play if one is not a 100 percent ready to come back. He can work back into it during practice.

Why in the He11 should Tice have to save face on anything, HE IS THE COACH. What he says goes. If he would just use some sort of logic and consistency this year that would be much appreciated by me and I am sure by the players too.

Hooversham is offline Starter

I wish they would just pick a freakin' running back and stick with him. I'm sick of this crap. Michael Bennett is a burner with absolutely NO security due to injury. I wouldn't start him if my life depended on it. I wouldn't give him first team reps. I wouldn't let him back up my starter. MM should be starting. He should be getttin all the reps. Because even if MB starts the season opener, I predict that he'll be hurt by week 3 and we'll need to replace him anyway. God, I wish we would have traded that sack. It would have made things SOOOO much easier.
    I can bench press my own body weight. And I weight 2,000 pounds.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

How many games did Mewelde play before he got hurt? Seems to me its the same story. And he came back very slow from his injury.

Del Rio Guest

All this is, is a pissing contest. So three months from now someone at home can smile knowing that the guy they took a hunch on did good.

Look, it's really just this simple none of us here can get anyone in the game.

I'm not against arguing :grin: all I am saying is some of you guys are freaks man lol. I guess that is what is great about being a fan, picking a guy and rooting him on all the way.

VikingsBabe is offline Training Camp

i am all for MeMo starting in preseason and against Tampa...first of all its the beginning of the season, Bennett is down, and everyone is kind of anxious to see how Moore is gonna perform. however, if Moore performs well, i don't agree with him replacing Bennett. the worst thing that could happen out of this whole situation is that we will have 2 great RBs...now how bad is that? atleast let Bennett play..if he gets hurt then we have Moore.

ps. i don't know football rules, but as a woman, my logic is saying, why not let them both play in the same game? ie bennett plays first half, moore plays second, or vice versa. ???

Del Rio Guest

"VikingsBabe" wrote:
    i am all for MeMo starting in preseason and against Tampa...first of all its the beginning of the season, Bennett is down, and everyone is kind of anxious to see how Moore is gonna perform. however, if Moore performs well, i don't agree with him replacing Bennett. the worst thing that could happen out of this whole situation is that we will have 2 great RBs...now how bad is that? atleast let Bennett play..if he gets hurt then we have Moore.

ps. i don't know football rules, but as a woman, my logic is saying, why not let them both play in the same game? ie bennett plays first half, moore plays second, or vice versa. ???
    That's pretty much how Tice has handled the running game for the last few years. Running back by committe. I'm not a fan of it really, but a few teams do it. You are right, I am pretty sure we will see the same thing this year with rotations made in game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast