Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bennett wants to stay a viking....

By DAVE CAMPBELL
    AP Sports Writer
    6:20 PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Many professional athletes are excited by the prospect of free agency, eager to find out how much money they can make on the market. Not Michael Bennett.

"I just wish that was a part of the game I didn't have to go through," said the Minnesota running back, whose rookie deal expires after this season. "I think if I could sign a 10-year contract here, I would've done it."

A first-round draft pick out of Wisconsin in 2001, Bennett thrived behind an excellent offensive line in 2002 and rushed for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns. But then came those problematic lower-body injuries. First, it was a broken foot stemming from a freak treadmill accident before the 2003 season. Then, a sprained knee suffered in the 2004 preseason.

Finally healthy again this year, the job was still Bennett's to lose. He never got going behind a perpetually shuffling line, though, finding his playing time sporadic as the Vikings fell behind in several early games and were forced to pass more often.

Only once did Bennett get more than 20 carries, and entering Sunday's season finale against the Chicago Bears he has just 391 yards and an average of 3.3 yards per rush.

Bennett's three best performances, interestingly, came during Minnesota's six-game winning streak. But whether it was subpar blocking, an inability to run tough between the tackles or a disrupted rhythm caused by an inconsistent offense and sharing carries with Mewelde Moore, Bennett didn't do enough to distinguish himself again as the featured back.

One of many reasons why the Vikings' running game currently ranks 29th in the league.

"It was definitely tough, I think, for everybody," Bennett said.

Moore has not been able to stay off the injury report, reliable veteran Moe Williams is rehabilitating a serious knee injury and might retire, and rookie Ciatrick Fason remains unproven. The position will be up in the air again as Minnesota enters the offseason, but the chances of Bennett coming back aren't strong.

"This is home for me," he said. "You never want to have to move because it's a frustrating process, but you've got to do what you've got to do."

Affixed to the face of Bennett's cubicle in the locker room is a small, yellow note square.

"Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals it," it reads, the words written on it by Bennett's mother several years ago in blue ink and perfect cursive letters.

That's been an important message for him to heed throughout a career that has been extremely frustrating. Since his breakout season in 2002, Bennett has only 1,114 yards and four touchdowns rushing.

The Vikings have been pleased with his attitude this year, something that wasn't always the case in the past. Coach Mike Tice even suggested both victories over the Detroit Lions would have been defeats were it not for Bennett. He had 40 carries for 185 yards and one score, plus two touchdown receptions, in those games.

"I think Mike has had a solid year, I really do," Tice said. "At one point in the team meeting I pointed to Mike as the epitome of our football team. He is a guy that hung in there. ... When we called upon him to play, he played and played pretty decently."

Bennett plans to walk slowly off the field on Sunday once the game ends and soak in the scene at the Metrodome for probably the final time wearing purple.

"I wish I could just go out in the stands and pretty much just shake everybody's hand and thank them for their support," he said.

He's not the only one, either. Tice and his staff aren't sure if they'll be back, and there are 15 other unrestricted free agents besides Bennett who don't know who they'll play for next year.

"It's going to be the last time all of us are going to be on the same team," left tackle Bryant McKinnie said. "At least leave with a victory."

NOO!!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bennett wants to stay a viking....

This shows real character from a man, when you can get benched, and often dogged by fans and continue to want to be apart of this team is pretty impressive. He's not gonna run out like a b*tch, HOVAN!!!

You guys got to understand that if we get an oline he will make a fine backup. But he can't be hit before the ball is handed to him. If he takes a cheap contract expect to see him back, he's a good pass blocker and he knows the system be prepared bennett haters.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' Bennett Wants to Stay a Viking

[size=18px]Vikings' Bennett Wants to Stay a Viking [/size]

http://www.forbes.com/business/healthcare/feeds/ap/2005/12/30/ap2421477.html

Sorry guys. When I see the following message I can only supply the link & not the full story.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings' Bennett Wants to Stay a Viking

This was posted, hahahaha, you're thread is gonna get locked, nah nah nah nah.

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    This was posted, hahahaha, you're thread is gonna get locked, nah nah nah nah.
    It only came out 1 hour ago!

Besides the story is copywrite protected & to repost the entire article is against intellectuall property rights.

Actually, the other thread should be locked!

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Read it and weep.. http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=281204#2812 04

check the time difference if you still don't believe me.

"DemonicViking" wrote:
    Read it and weep.. http://www.purplepride.org/vikes/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=281204#2812 04

check the time difference if you still don't believe me.
    The story is copywrite protected & to repost the entire article is against intellectuall property rights & copywrite laws.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Actually, the other thread should be erradicated! :grin:

I'm not punked yet! :wink:

ChosenOne is offline Starter

Man I don't care if he wants to stay a Viking because I want him outta here.
    He fumbles too much and isn't even that good.
    "Big names don't win big games, Big hearts win big games"--ChosenOne

"ChosenOne" wrote:
    Man I don't care if he wants to stay a Viking because I want him outta here.
    He fumbles too much and isn't even that good.
    You seem to want everyone out of here!

ChosenOne is offline Starter

No, not everyone just Tice, Bennet and if the right offer comes up Daunte
    "Big names don't win big games, Big hearts win big games"--ChosenOne

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast