Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Tue, Feb. 21, 2006

[size=18px]Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Michael Bennett said Monday his tenure with the Vikings is over.

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., did not return calls left at his office.
    With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

"I want to earn a job and take it from there."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Bennett: I won't be coming back

After I see this one singer, I have a prediction. We will not draft a rb in rounds #1 or #2 and we sign E.James. There it is, lets wait for it to come true.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

I got an autographed Bennett jersey...hopefull he goes on and is successfull, I want the value to increase on that bugger..!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I was very happy when we drafted Bennett I thought that he would become an every down back, and be a star in the league! His 1,300 yard season and a trip to the pro-bowl looked very promising, but then the injury bug hit and with the Vikes drafted the whizzinator and Bennett couldn't stay healthy enough to carry the load. When the whizzinator got suspended for the year and we needed Bennett to step up and be the man, he couldn't. So I am sorry to see him go, but I do think it is the best for the Vikes and him! They need to go their separate ways and we need to find that work horse that can carry the rock 25 times a game and put up 1,400 to 1,500 yards a year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"audioghost" wrote:
    I got an autographed Bennett jersey...hopefull he goes on and is successfull, I want the value to increase on that bugger..!
    I wouldn't hold my breath... :lol:

You might have a better chance to make money on some Enron stock instead! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

3,174 Yds in 5 seasons? That sucks! I don't care who you are or how often you are injured, or if you are apart of a RB by Committe. If you have 3,174 Yds in 5 seasons, you need to hit the bricks.

What did he think was going to happen? That the Vikes were going to break the bank on him and make him the starter. Please, I mean if E James would have had say 4,000 yds for the Colts over his 6 seasons do you think that the Colts would have stuck the franchise tag on him last season? I think not.

I will agree with that previous statement, that by the sounds of it, the Vikings are going after a well known RB in Fa, and not the draft. Good it is about time we have a every down back that knows how to get the job done, and doesn't get hurt after every play. Whether its GB, or ARI, good luck MB in the future...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    After I see this one singer, I have a prediction. We will not draft a rb in rounds #1 or #2 and we sign E.James. There it is, lets wait for it to come true.
    I thought that at first, but then I said to myself, they might just be eliminatinig the question marks concerning the quantity of backs that we already have. We shouldn't sign another one to a contract when we have 2 under contract now.

I don't think you can just say we are going to get EJ or SA and hang your hat on it. If we didn't have CF, OS and MM, we would probably be signing MB for another year or two.

We actually wouldn't need to go after a RB in the draft or FA and we would still be alright. We probably wouldn't have a stud RB, but we would have depth and they would probably perform well as long as we get teh line solid. MM and OS kick some butt even when Moss was out of the line up with injuries in 2004.

I think everyone is just looking at last year. Get our line back in order and play some smash mouth football up front. Running is attitude, and we lost that for some reason in the confusion of who was going to start.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

I am really happy for Bennett. Maybe he can move on and actually have someone block for him. Or not fall off the treadmill. Oh well. Bet he does do good where he goes. There are only so many freak accidents that can happen.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Gotta follow the majority of the sentiments expressed here; Bennett was a back who could take it to the house on any given play, but he lived and died by his speed, and when he couldn't bust a move.. He died. Unfortunate because he always came across as a decent man, hopefully he'll find a place in the NFL that will utilise his talents and get him back to his 2003 form.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Well, most of ya'll know how I feel about Michael Bennett so I'm going to go ahead and do this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!! WHO'S YOUR DADDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

CynicalVike is offline Starter

I hope he gets a chance to finally play behind a good Oline. It was always fun to see him hit the secondary and kick it into high gear......BYE BYE!
    I used to be indecisive, now I m not so sure!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast