Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'

Posted on Tue, Feb. 21, 2006

[size=18px]Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Michael Bennett said Monday his tenure with the Vikings is over.

"They told my agent they're going in another direction, so I won't be coming back," Bennett said in a phone interview. "It's disappointing, because you felt you established yourself there and you wanted to be one of those guys who stayed with a team throughout his whole career. But it didn't work out for me."

Bennett's agent, Pat Dye Jr., did not return calls left at his office.
    With the expected departure of Bennett, the Vikings have just three running backs under contract: Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu. Onterrio Smith is fulfilling a suspension and could be reinstated before training camp. Veteran Moe Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

With a glut of elite running backs potentially available in free agency this offseason and several solid prospects in the NFL draft, the Vikings are expected to address their need aggressively at the position.

The conclusion seems fitting for Bennett, though, given his 2005 season with the Vikings. Entering training camp, coach Mike Tice projected Bennett to have a monstrous season as the full-time starter. But Bennett suffered an injury before the season, and he played sparingly at the start of the season. He didn't get his first meaningful start until Nov. 6, when he ran the ball 18 times for 106 yards.

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

Bennett isn't bitter, leaving the Vikings as their eighth-leading rusher all time with 3,174 yards in five seasons.

"Once I move on, I will always know where my roots are and where everything started," said Bennett, who plans to keep his home in the Twin Cities.

Bennett said he has been working out diligently, "just in case I need to go audition somewhere."

His preferences are Green Bay, which is closer to his hometown of Milwaukee, and Arizona, which is coached by Dennis Green, who drafted Bennett for the Vikings.

"I don't know where I could end up; anywhere, really," Bennett said. "But those would be two great places.

"I want to earn a job and take it from there."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Bennett: I won't be coming back

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Bennett: 'I won't be coming back'

Well spotted - was going to send you an IM about this article !!

"You get promised all this stuff all offseason, then you work hard, but it seemed like it was all for nothing," Bennett said. "But I'm just going to continue to work hard."

I know Tice seemed to favour the RB by committee but then again I'm sure that if Bennett had shown that he was ' the man ' then he would have got the starting spot wrapped up. Even allowing for our OL playing poor Bennett never gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that he could nail down that starting job.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet Guest

I am confident in the new management. They are consistently analyzing the positions and filling in the voids. That seems like an obvious thing to do, but with the recent past management it was beyond their capabilities.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

he didn't put up the good numbers he needed to stay. so to that i say, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Go vikes!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Denny will bring him on down in AZ. I would put money on it.

Oh well, mixed feeling about it, but I am ready to move on.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I liked M.b he was a fast little bugger who did as bout as good as possible behiend a non-existent Oline.

well all the Bennet Haters will be happy..

good luck M.B and when you come to face us if u you do... i'll be chantin for the D to take off yer head!!!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Ur right Digital.. If we had a decent line he would have been awesome.. And if he was able to run the show alone.. Not splitting carries..

Im gonna miss ya Mikey

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Yeah, I've always liked Bennet. It's a shame. :cry:
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

yeah i wish he could stay, but i don't want him to! :razz:

Go vikes!!

vikingTurf Guest

MOss gone, Pep gone, Bennett Gone.....I am gone :shock:

But seriouslly, it's good that Bennett will be gone. I guess it's nothin amazing to see so much changes under new coach/owner, Hey I still like the name VIKINGS, keep it will ya!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast