Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ArizonaVike is offline Waterboy

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

News: The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports the team might be interested in trading Michael Bennett if Onterrio Smith continues to improve.

if you ask me....its a good move...Onterrio has power and speed and shows be more than bennett has the whole time hes been with us....if we can get something good....maybe a DE or LB thats good...then i saw yah DO IT!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

I don't think the PP said that the team was interested in trading Bennett. I think what they said was that "some people" think Bennett could be trade bait. "Some people" could be fans like you or I; trading Bennett, Smith or Williams has been the subject of discussion on many Viking fan boards ever since the end of last season.

Trades between teams for players happen rarely in the NFL anymore. The Portis for Bailey blockbuster was the first of its' kind in many, many years. More often than not, trades are done for draft picks. Bennett was a late first rounder, and depending on the season he has this year, might merit a first rounder in trade. Then again, we might only get a 2nd rounder for him.

With the drafting of Udeze and Darrion Scott, I don't see the need to trade for a DE yet. Same thing with LB, we need to see Henderson and Thomas/Nattiel play for a full season before we need to consider trading for a LB.

I don't think that we should let either Bennett or Smith go without some type of compensation, and right now it looks like both are capable of being the #1 RB wherever they play. But I'm not ready to trade either one just yet, and I don't think the Vikings need to.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

agreed p-pat. there is no need to trade either one right now. why weaken the strength of the team? if we traded one and the other got hurt, we would be in big trouble with the running game
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

ndakvikefan is offline Starter

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

Don't get me wrong, I like Smith he runs with power and played well last year. The think I don't get is where is this speed all the Ontario rubes talk about. Tell me how many long breakaway runs he had last year, I can't think of any. I am not talking Randy Moss or Bennett speed, I mean look at Ladanion Tomlison, or Clinton Portis or Ahman Green, they have good speed and I don't see that in Smith. Like I said I like him but I think the rubes will change their minds about Bennett if he stays healthy this year.
    The thing people forget or don't know is he only played one year of college football, one year behind Ron Dane and one year as the featured back. It takes time to learn the pro game, everyone is faster and you need to be patient at times, he was just learning that in his 1200 yard season. Thats another thing, the guy runs for 1200 yards, makes the pro bowl and all you Smith fans want to give him up for a RB that had a 2 great games against the Bears, who always drop 6 men into coverage and give the vikings all the rushing yards they want until they get inside the 20, then they go to thier base defense. Don't believe me ? Look up the Vikings rushing numbers VS the Bears the last 3 years. They average about 160 yards per game against them.
    I went and looked to make sure I was not mistaken, and I was, since 1999 the vikings average 154.9 yards rushing per game against the Bears.
    8f72d7a2bfbfd6a931c3ea8edbece812

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

"Trades between teams for players happen rarely in the NFL anymore."

Terrell Owens ring a Bell. Eli Manning maybe? lol. The trade is a very popular thing in the NFL today. Didn't the Chargers work out another trade as well.

I don't know if any of you guys who want to trade Bennett remember him running, but the guy gets low and has some power and even breaks tackles. Everyone talks about his speed but more than once a game in '02 I saw him standing up LBs and DBs.

I can't believe we are even discussing this! Smith had an excellent game aginst one of the worst rushing defenses in the league, plus that being on a night where Moss and Culpepper spread out the defense it had so many running lanes it looked like a UPS pick-up station. And what, he got 160 yards on 25-30 carrys against the bears defense (who, like nda said, we always run well against) and Bennett gets that many yards on 15-20 carries.

SOD doesn't fit our offense. He doesn't have an extra gear that effective power runners such as Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, or even Robert Smith have (or had, as the case may be). And our offense is a home run style. Not a pounding style. We need someone who has that "take it to the house" capability. SOD doesn't have that.

I really like SOD. I think he'lll turn out to be an awesome running back. But I don't think we need to trade our Pro-Bowler for a guy who had 2 games against crappy defenses or in easy running situations.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

We would be retarted to trade Bennett. It isn't gonna happen! That's all I've got to say about that.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

I agree, trading Michael Bennett would be one of the worst moves in Viking history.

It's pretty rare when you get a combination of power and incredible speed like Michael Bennett. Besides that he can friggin' block. I remember in the Chiefs game last year during the first TD pass from Pep to Moss, Bennett laid a killer block just as Daunte was about to get sacked. I saw him do that several times in 2002 as well.

I also really like Smith and I think he can play a big role for us too. But Bennett is a definate keeper and we should have him be the focus of our running game for as long as he stays healthy. Now that he's back to full health he will have a pro bowl season again.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

Bennett is the man no question i read some reports on him bein so focused and how well he knows the offense, in meatings he now speaks up answers questions he knows what the hell is goin on in our offensive system. Bennett has crazy speed and he really does run hard and he's quick and has some good moves, people have forgot about him because of his injuries but once he starts breaking those 60 yard runs again peeps will wake up and smell the coffee, i think he will have a huge year

drtybrdy9 is offline Rookie

Too Many RB's

There is one thing that many people in the NFL have learned these days. You can never have too many running backs. Say Bennet goes down with any sort of injury, Smith steps in to fill the shoes, or when Bennnet needs a breather we have a solid player who we can trust to play at a high level. Then we even have Moe Williams as a back up in case of an injury which will at least happen once this year. It is the NFL and RBs take a lot of punishment. I don't think Bennet has played a 16 game season in his career. Not that I am against him, being a big Madden fan who likes the homerun speed both in the game and in real life.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Bennet Gonna Be Traded?

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    I agree, trading Michael Bennett would be one of the worst moves in Viking history.
    herschel walker ring a bell??

:?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast