Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Bengal Whupping strategy

My two cents:

I don't think Bennett is the RB the Vikes should be using when the OL is having trouble opening holes. Moore should be in there, or Moe, or even Fason for heavens sake (though I'm not sure about his blitz pickups). At least I feel Moore and Moe can make a yard or two when there is little to nothing there. Bennett needs a hole big enough to get to the second level to be effective, and based on last week and the preseason (now 18 carries for 16 yards), Bennett is unable to be effective.

I'm not averse to the Vikings coming out in the shotgun for every play, with safe little safety valve passes to Moore and Williams subbing for running plays, and Daunte doing some QB draws and rollouts. I like the idea of the sugar huddle (at least on the first drive, if they have decent field position) to keep the Bengals from making substitutions.

I think the Vikings ABSOLUTELY need to launch the ball deep to Williamson, or KRob, or somebody! Until they show that part of their hand, the Bengals safeties will cheat up and the shorter areas will be crowded and harder to complete passes in. As we saw with Moss, having that deep threat like Williamson can open things up for the running game by keeping the safeties honest.

Before Moss hit the scene, the Vikings were very adept at just moving the chains, even with a less than stellar rushing attack. Remember, they used to have to use the pass to set up the run? Tice needs to get out of his "tough guy" mentality until his OL proves they are up to the task. Daunte will need to protect the ball (especially if he takes off running, and the Bengals LBs WILL blitz because they can't generate a pass rush otherwise). As long as Tice doesn't try to run just to prove he can, I think the Vikings offense should be able to move the ball virtually at will against the Bengals, albeit in small chunks.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"JDogg926" wrote:
    Can any Bengals fans confirm this for me: The Bengals defense is rather young, right???

I think the no-huddle would work best against a young defense, as you've got a much better chance at finding someone out of position

I don't know how young the Bengals D is, but I think they're pretty young considering the players on D that I've heard of all seem to be within their first 3 or 4 years.

I think the same would hold true about our O!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I'm having visions right now of Chad Johnson catching a pass on the slant route and getting trucked by Sharper, the ball flying up in the air, and Smoot grabbing it out of the air, returning the interception to the Bengal 10 yard line.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Would it be an INT or a fumble recovery? lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

JohnStofa is offline Training Camp

"JDogg926" wrote:
    Can any Bengals fans confirm this for me: The Bengals defense is rather young, right???
    Two rookies led us in tackles in Week One -- Odell Thurman and David Pollack, and right behind them were two second-year players, Madieu Williams and Keiwan Ratliff. Thurman and Ratliff also had interceptions. Robert Geathers, who the Bengals are counting on for pass rushing help, is a second-year player too. So yes, we are young on defense right now, but I think we're only a year or two away from being one of the top defenses in the league. Marvin Lewis put together and co-ordinated the defense that led the Ravens to a Super Bowl title and he's in the process of putting together a top notch defense in Cincinnati too. It's just a matter of time until he has all the pieces in place. But as of now, the Viking offense, specifically Daunte Culpepper, will be a tough test for them.
    Bengals, baby!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Madieu Williams is frickin awesome.. I've seen him play a little I guess and looked at his stats and he was good last year.. Continued into this year I guess...

How do u pronounce his name? Is it like Mad-e-yu? Something like that?

JohnStofa is offline Training Camp

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    How do u pronounce his name? Is it like Mad-e-yu? Something like that?
    If you're watching on TV Sunday you'll probably hear it prononced several different ways. That seems to be the case every week. But the real pronunciation is: ma-DEE-you
    Bengals, baby!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"mnjamie" wrote:
    I say go no huddle right or use a "Sugar" huddle right out of the gate, using the short passing game and quick hitting run traps up the middle. Been reading all week from Pep, Tice, Looney, etc. that we are a rhythm offense. I see no better way in doing so, get that early touchdown and the monkey off our backs. Then let the "D" do their thing and put the pressure on them... IMO
    Good call Jamie!. I picked this off the Redzone;

"The word of the week at Winter Park is rhythm, and the Vikings plan to accomplish that by emphasizing the run and short passes that will enable Culpepper, the receivers and the offensive line to get into a groove.

Culpepper mentioned tight end Jermaine Wiggins and receivers Nate Burleson and Travis Taylor among the "playmakers" he wants to get the ball to quickly.

"We just need to nickel and dime and get the confidence up of the quarterback and receivers and turn the short play into an explosive one," Burleson said. "Then that gets the rhythm going."

Burleson mentioned another key.

"We need to get into the end zone early," he said."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"JohnStofa" wrote:
    Just a little FYI stuff ...

Do you guys know where that term "Sugar Huddle" came from? It came from Sam Wyche and the Cincinnati Bengals, circa 1987 or 1988, something like that. Boomer Esiason and the Bengals offense mastered it and it was almost impossible to stop. I remember after a couple years of losing to us Marv Levy of the Bills started crying to league officials because he felt it should be illegal (he claimed it didn't allow the defense adequate time to substitute). But the NFL didn't listen and we continued to use it. Ironically we rolled over the Bills in the playoffs that same year, on our way to the Super Bowl. Bengals fan loved it. Funny thing is, a couple years later Levy had Jim Kelly and the Bills offense running their own version of the "Sugar Huddle". And I've hated Levy ever since ... lol.

Good Knowledge !!!! ... Something new everyday, need to break up this mundane habit :banghead:

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"JDogg926" wrote:
    I'm having visions right now of Chad Johnson catching a pass on the slant route and getting trucked by Sharper, the ball flying up in the air, and Smoot grabbing it out of the air, returning the interception to the Bengal 10 yard line.

This excites me as much as that little stuffed cow in the corner excites my puppy "Chopper" !!!! (AAAAAaaaaaLOT !!) :headbang:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast