Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NeumDog is offline Tailgate Bitch

Re: Bengal Whupping strategy

Play the short passing game, don't give up on the run too quick and let it set up the play action for the deep shots.

Del Rio Guest

Nothing wrong with no huddle......but

From what I have been reading here lately miscommunication seems to have been an issue on a lot of our mistakes.

Putting a very young inexperienced O-line coupled with a WR core who can't even pick up the audibles correctly yet in a no huddle seems a bit risky imo. I think it would make more trouble then help at this point.

Who knows though.

JohnStofa is offline Training Camp

Did you guys use the 'no huddle' offense any last week? Other than late in the game? The 'no huddle' works a lot better when you're playing at home. And a lot better when your key communication components on offense -- QB, backs, receivers and center -- have played together quite a bit. I'm not saying the 'no huddle' offense won't work against us, but I'd be surprised if it does -- mostly because we're at home, expecting a very loud crowd, and the Vikes' offense isn't clicking yet. It might work early in the game when the offense has a few plays scripted beforehand, but as the game progresses it could lead to a lot of mistakes for an offense that hasn't gelled yet.

On the other hand, it could also cause our young defense some problems. I actually hope the Vikings do use that offense, if for no other reason than to see how our defense reacts to it. The quicker our young guys on defense learn, the better they'll be later in the season. This game will be quite a test for them.
    Bengals, baby!

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I agree John, the no huddle won't work as good on the road. We should rush the ball more and do shorters passes. Daunte should be scripted more roll outs, that way he can get away from our failing line. Hopefully the o line will improve this week. If we can establish the run, then the play action can work.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Actually the no huddle would work great if we do it early while they're not expecting it. If we have to do it in the 4th qtr we'll be in trouble. Although I have a bad feeling about this one, hopefully were up 38-14 by then anyway, so we'll just be concerned with running the clock.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I was saying use some version of the no huddle or "Sugar" huddle like we have in the past for the first drive or two. Just to get CPep and the boys going ... scripted plays. Get that first score and then adjust from there. That will be the true test for Tice and Looooney, adjusting on the run.

I feel it would be effective, just to jump start the engine. Get the monkey off our backs from no offensive TD's last game. Then go from there.

Del Rio Guest

This about sums it all up

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" -Albert Einstien

JohnStofa is offline Training Camp

Just a little FYI stuff ...

Do you guys know where that term "Sugar Huddle" came from? It came from Sam Wyche and the Cincinnati Bengals, circa 1987 or 1988, something like that. Boomer Esiason and the Bengals offense mastered it and it was almost impossible to stop. I remember after a couple years of losing to us Marv Levy of the Bills started crying to league officials because he felt it should be illegal (he claimed it didn't allow the defense adequate time to substitute). But the NFL didn't listen and we continued to use it. Ironically we rolled over the Bills in the playoffs that same year, on our way to the Super Bowl. Bengals fan loved it. Funny thing is, a couple years later Levy had Jim Kelly and the Bills offense running their own version of the "Sugar Huddle". And I've hated Levy ever since ... lol.
    Bengals, baby!

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

"JohnStofa" wrote:
    Just a little FYI stuff ...

Do you guys know where that term "Sugar Huddle" came from? It came from Sam Wyche and the Cincinnati Bengals, circa 1987 or 1988, something like that. Boomer Esiason and the Bengals offense mastered it and it was almost impossible to stop. I remember after a couple years of losing to us Marv Levy of the Bills started crying to league officials because he felt it should be illegal (he claimed it didn't allow the defense adequate time to substitute). But the NFL didn't listen and we continued to use it. Ironically we rolled over the Bills in the playoffs that same year, on our way to the Super Bowl. Bengals fan loved it. Funny thing is, a couple years later Levy had Jim Kelly and the Bills offense running their own version of the "Sugar Huddle". And I've hated Levy ever since ... lol.
    Good post! They are rare from opposition. Nice to learn history.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Can any Bengals fans confirm this for me: The Bengals defense is rather young, right???

I think the no-huddle would work best against a young defense, as you've got a much better chance at finding someone out of position.

I don't know how young the Bengals D is, but I think they're pretty young considering the players on D that I've heard of all seem to be within their first 3 or 4 years.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast