Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Frostbite is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    966

    Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I am wondering about taking the opportunity to show Dallas some new wrinkles in this upcoming game. I think the Cowboys watched a lot a film on our run blocking and on A.P.. I hope Childress and the other coaches will be creative and open up with more of the not so obvious. I know many think A.P. can just run over people and I for one hope he does carry the ball well in this matchup, but honestly the Dallas defense is better than Chicago and I believe will be geared up an ready on run defense.

    Can A.P. catch?? Maybe a fake to him and possibly coming back to him out of the backfield as a reciever in the flats between DBs and Linebackers would keep the Cowboys D guessing more. I also believe WRs will have to step up and TJ will need to have a great game to win this one.

    Anyone see it differently...??? Please chime in.....Cheers!

    Frostbite
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I hate threads like this, but for some reason, I just can't stay away.
    ;D

    Did you watch the first series of last weeks game?
    If you did then I am sure you saw.....

    First play, AD and CT were in there together.
    Play shortly after that they split him out to the left.
    They threw it to him out in the flats (right side).

    Bottom line up front, the staff has been doing things like that with him and the Cowponies already have game film to study from thier efforts.

    I am sure they have plenty to worry about.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I'm sure the coaching staff will use the exact same plays in the exact same sequence because they would never think that another team is watching their game film.
    I love seeing an occasional gadget play...but counting on them to win many games is crazy, unless you're playing flag football with 7 yr olds.

    Personally, I would like to see them run the ball down their throats and dare them to stop them.
    The same general game plan will be in action and if they can execute it and, like you said, Tarvaris can manage the game and not get shook up playing in Dallas they should be fine.
    Like many have said, they will have to be playing solid ball and the D will have to get some turnovers...and, i sure as hell hope the penalties are at a minimum.
    To me the drive killing penalites are the most annoying way to lose a game.

    btw, aren't there numerous threads about this already?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #4
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I think the cowboys are way over confident. Clayton has already guarenteed they will be in the SuperBowl, and TO thinks that they are the
    best team in the league. Sounds to me like they are looking way past the vikings game. Hopefully we can make there confidence a weekness and get the win.

  5. #5
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I'm scared mainly because:

    If we stick to our strengths, we'll run the ball.
    However, if we try to attack Dallas' weaknesses, we'll throw it.

    Basically our offense matches up horribly against the Cowboys. I see us having to put way too much pressure on our Defense, like we did against GB and KC. I think our D will play well, but they have a stiff challenge.

    In the end, I would like to see us win the game by dominating TOP.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    "V" wrote:
    I'm scared mainly because:

    If we stick to our strengths, we'll run the ball.
    However, if we try to attack Dallas' weaknesses, we'll throw it.

    Basically our offense matches up horribly against the Cowboys. I see us having to put way too much pressure on our Defense, like we did against GB and KC. I think our D will play well, but they have a stiff challenge.

    In the end, I would like to see us win the game by dominating TOP.
    Your should always play to your strengths first.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I'm scared mainly because:

    If we stick to our strengths, we'll run the ball.
    However, if we try to attack Dallas' weaknesses, we'll throw it.

    Basically our offense matches up horribly against the Cowboys. I see us having to put way too much pressure on our Defense, like we did against GB and KC. I think our D will play well, but they have a stiff challenge.

    In the end, I would like to see us win the game by dominating TOP.
    Your should always play to your strengths first.
    I agree, run first until they stack the box then slant over the middle.
    Brady exposed this all day long last Sunday.

    Interesting stat from "Cowboytalk.com", they pointed out that in the last nine meetings between us at Texas Stadium the Vikings have won all of them. ;D
    Let's hope history is kind one more time

  8. #8
    Freya's Avatar
    Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    I don't think Childress does innovative.


    Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I'm scared mainly because:

    If we stick to our strengths, we'll run the ball.
    However, if we try to attack Dallas' weaknesses, we'll throw it.

    Basically our offense matches up horribly against the Cowboys. I see us having to put way too much pressure on our Defense, like we did against GB and KC. I think our D will play well, but they have a stiff challenge.

    In the end, I would like to see us win the game by dominating TOP.
    Your should always play to your strengths first.
    I for one can't wait to see how this unfolds.

    IMHO, this is perfect timing during the maturation of this young team.
    Nothing but good can come from a matchup like this if nothing more than to teach the youngsters how to deal with pressure.

    Last weeks game was a great stepping stone for this young team.


    Vikings 24 Cowgirls 17
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841

    Re: Being Inovative Against Cowboys a Must

    The Boys probably are a bit overconfident, but they have a bye week after us, so I don't think they're looking too far ahead.

    Defense will need to step up!
    NEED PRESSURE to rattle Romo, or he will most likely pick us apart.
    Need to roll some help over TO, and try to get him frustrated.
    Greenway/Leber will need to play tough against Witten, cuz he seems to be Romo's favorite.
    In short, they'll need to, "Play like their hair is on fire!"

    On offense, expect pressure.
    The cowgirls can get pretty aggressive with their blitzes.
    Need to have some plays/options ready to beat it.
    Running the ball is what we do best.
    Got to stick with it, even if we get behind.
    Obviously, we can't pound the rock constantly if we're down 2 TDs late, but AP and CT are our biggest play makers and have a good chance of taking advantage of them spreading out and playing pass D.
    Which, in turn, helps out the passing game too.
    If we swing AP to the outside behind, say, Kleiny, Richardson, and Ferguson, he's got a pretty good chance of making it out of bounds, to the first down, and possibly more.

    I watched the replay last night, with plenty of Tivo replays and studied some of their new "gadget" plays.
    AP was already providing a nice distraction.
    On two occasions, they lined him up in the slot and ran him in an end around fake, Taylor got 6 yards on the first play of the game, and the other was a pass that was either a first down, or one of the those wideopen ones that wasn't quite there.
    Loved that play to Richardson that didn't quite connect too.
    All in all, pretty good play calling last week, and a similar style is what we need against Dallas.
    Mixing it up, but leaning on our KICK ARSE Running Backs!
    I think we are only beginning to see what this offense is capable of!

    Here's a gadget I just dreamt up:

    Peterson in the slot, Taylor in backfield.
    The wideout goes deep, slanting in after 20 yds if he isn't already open/depending on the safety, AP fakes the deep route for 10 yds and then cuts outside straight at the first down marker.
    If the LB on AP backpedals, AP should be wide open on the sideline...if they double up on AP, you've probably got a deep option.
    Maybe?

    SKOL VIKINGS!!
    "Must see TV," this week at Dallas, I CAN'T WAIT!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cowboys should have gone for it!
    By Vikes in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM
  2. Enough Cowboys!
    By Bdubya in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
  3. Cowboys
    By snowinapril in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:21 PM
  4. Vikings 35 - Cowboys 17
    By tlk23 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 11:22 PM
  5. Cowboys
    By Cissney the Viking in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 01:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •