Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    BearsFanGrrrr is offline Rookie

Re: Bears-Vikings Preview

Wish, Hope, Like, do anything you want, FACT is DA BEARS are better then your team in all areas, thus it is a forgone conclution that DA BEARS win Sunday !
    Your boys had better show up ready for a fist fight, cos DA BEARS are !
    Not only do we have one of the best "D" in all the NFL, we now have "O" to go with it !
    You can no longer stack 8 or 9 in the box and not expect Rex to beat you deep.
    When you pull off into pass coverage, our two headed monster runs it down your throat !
    LOOK OUT , ... I am warning you now, DA BEARS are coming to your town.
    Be afraid, be very afraid !

DA BEARS 34

vqueens

GO BEARS !

PS:
    sleepagent, "Semper Fi" my brother !

I was a bad boy and was banned!
    I suck.

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:
    Wish, Hope, Like, do anything you want, FACT is DA BEARS are better then your team in all areas, thus it is a forgone conclution that DA BEARS win Sunday !
    Not only do we have one of the best "D" in all the NFL, we now have "O" to go with it !
    When you pull off into pass coverage, our two headed monster runs it down your throat !

DA BEARS 34

vqueens

GO BEARS !

PS:

Ok dude you played the two crapiest teams in the nfl that's why rex is so on fire your team sux indoors your offense was good against the lions because they suck we have a good defense and good
    offense so SHUT UP!!!!!. Besides all of the analysts on espn say that the vikes are gonna win and Duh Bears Duh will lose. Ok Ok ;D

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

I didn't see this one here. If it is, let me know and I'll remove this.
    ;D Good perspective from Bears point of view.

SunTimes

Brad news for Bears: QB is patient, accurate
    September 23, 2006

Given time in the pocket, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson is
    like a surgeon. He can carve up any defense with his pinpoint accuracy
    and patience -- he rarely forces the ball into bad spots and doesn't
    hesitate to check down. Johnson's career completion percentage of 61.9
    is fourth-best in league history, and the Bears know they need to rattle
    him early to throw him off.

Problem is, the Vikings have a pretty solid offensive line, especially
    the left side with tackle Bryant McKinnie and guard Steve Hutchinson.
    That didn't stop the Carolina Panthers from sacking Johnson five times
    in a losing effort last week. Right tackle Marcus Johnson is a weak link
    and a matchup Adewale Ogunleye should exploit.

Alex Brown's job on the other side will be more difficult facing
    McKinnie. And it's not just in pass-rush situations. Running back
    Chester Taylor is gaining the bulk of his yardage running left.

'It puts a little pressure on me,' Brown said. 'I better come ready
    to play.'

Brown is wearing a harness on his right shoulder, which was partially
    dislocated in the preseason, to protect it. He may have to for a few
    more weeks.

The Bears have nine sacks through two games, and all but one has come
    from the line.

BRINGING MY SHOES:
    The last time Rex Grossman played at the Metrodome he
    blew out his right knee, ending his season with a torn ACL. He wore
    cleats then and is planning to switch it up this time and go with
    flat-bottom shoes on the Field Turf surface.

'When I got hurt there, I wore a full cleat like you would wear on
    grass,' he said. 'I've changed my methods. Football was meant to be
    played outside, but we'll just go inside and get it done.'

As far as it being the scene of the injury that knocked him out in Week
    3 of 2004, he hasn't thought about it much. The Bears kept him on the
    sideline during the New Year's Day game there last season to ensure he
    was healthy for the playoffs.

HEALTH BEAT:
    Coach Lovie Smith said defensive lineman Israel Idonije is
    getting 'close' to returning from a sprained left ankle. He was held
    out of the team portion of practice and remains questionable. It's been
    four weeks since he was injured, making it likely he had a high ankle
    sprain. Rookie linebacker Jamar Williams has taken his place on special
    teams and excelled. Look for Williams to likely stay on teams in a new
    spot when Idonije returns because he has performed so well.

Long snapper Pat Mannelly (ill) remains questionable but will play
    Sunday. Backup safety Chris Harris missed practice and was added to the
    list as questionable with a sprained left ankle, and wide receiver
    Airese Currie (shoulder) was downgraded to questionable. Safety Cameron
    Worrell (right knee) was removed from the practice squad.

For Minnesota, right guard Artis Hicks (shoulder) and receiver Troy
    Williamson (shoulder) were upgraded to probable. Ex-Bear Marcus Robinson
    remains questionable with a pulled hamstring but did practice. Rookie
    quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will have knee surgery on Monday, so safety
    Darren Sharper is a possibility as an emergency option if Brad Johnson
    and Brooks Bollinger are injured.

TRADING PLACES:
    Wide receiver Dan Sheldon is expected to be released
    from the practice squad on Friday, and it's believed the Bears will
    bring in another new face for a look next week. Brandon Rideau, who
    spent last season with the Cleveland Browns, will likely be signed in
    his place. Rideau, 6-3, 200 pounds, was on the Browns' practice squad
    for half of last season before being promoted to the active roster. He
    did not appear in a game. He will be the third receiver the team
    inspects in as many weeks. Harry Williams Jr. has already been through.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

DA BEARS 34

vqueens

GO BEARS !

PS:

you couldnt run against the lions or packers.. what makes you think you can do it against the vikings and fat pat?

you're offense is improved yes, im not about to deny that, but dont even begin to believe that the numbers he put up against the NFL Celler Dwellers will be the type of numbers he puts up against one of the best saftey and corner tandems in the NFL.

will be a tough game yes, but you're bears arent as good as you think (on O, they are as good as u think on 'D' of course)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Fason expected to be inactive Week 3
    Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:22:58 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Ciatrick Fason is expected to be inactive for the team's Week 3 game. RB Artose Pinner would be the team's No. 3 running back for the game.

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

DA BEARS 34
    vqueens

GO BEARS !
    Bearsfan - Rex isn't beating teams deep because of a stacked box, it is because safeties and corners are biting on play action.
    And the defenses biting on that are both TERRIBLE, don't expect it to be so easy vs. Sharper/Smith.

Good luck on that 34-9 prediction.
    Bears lose in the Dome!
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

"BearsFanGrrrr" wrote:

DA BEARS 3

2 weeks ago bears fans and media were calling for griese to start and questioning their defense. now they are a foregone conclusion to be in the superbowl. snap out of it.

vqueens

GO BEARS !

PS:

Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/694794.html

This should get you fired up to see the D play today.
    8)
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Vikings

Beat 'em at their own game

Mike Tomlin wasn't concerned about what players thought of him, his defensive philosophy or the fact that, at 34, he wasn't much older than some of them.

There was only one thing that mattered as he prepared to conduct his first meeting as the Vikings' defensive coordinator last spring. "I just focused on the message and what we were going to be about," he said. "I was going to steamroll anybody that saw differently."

Tomlin does not say the final part of this sentence in a manner that comes across as threatening; rather it's delivered with a belief that the message is so complete that it must be the right way.

"You could tell from his attitude and his determination that he had ... just his tone," middle linebacker Napoleon Harris said. "He came in from Day 1 and wanted to put his stamp down on it and say, 'This is the way things are going to be done, and this is how I foresee Viking defense being played on the field.' "

So far, it has worked.

The Vikings (2-0) are ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense. Yes, it is too early to get excited -- and the loss of right end Erasmus James to a season-ending knee injury won't help -- but the Vikings haven't sniffed the top 10 in the NFL in defense since being No. 10 after Week 4 of the 2003 season.

"We're going to be top five if we stay healthy," said safety Darren Sharper, a teammate of Tomlin's at William & Mary.

Tomlin hasn't only had faith in his message. He also used the same outlook to influence individuals. Harris, seen by some as a poor fit at middle linebacker in the Tampa-2 scheme Tomlin brought from the Buccaneers, had a game-high 10 tackles last Sunday against Carolina.

"I like some of the things we're doing," Tomlin said. "We have to continue to get better from a detail standpoint in terms of execution. The guys are playing extremely hard. They're playing physical and that's where it starts. Those things, the things that require no talent, playing hard, playing fast and finishing, they're doing a great job at. We just have to continue to hone up in terms of the details."

This is Tomlin in a nutshell. Always positive, but never satisfied.

Tough test

Tomlin will have a better idea of his defense's progress following the Vikings' game this afternoon against Chicago, a match between unbeaten teams.

The Bears offense scored an NFC-leading 60 points in winning its first two games, and the Vikings also will get the opportunity to see one of the defenses after which they are modeled.

The Bears won the NFC North title last season using a version of the Tampa-2 that was installed by coach Lovie Smith, a former Bucs assistant. This influenced coach Brad Childress to lure Tomlin away from Tampa Bay last winter after five seasons as defensive backs coach.

"We are playing the Bears defense," cornerback Ronyell Whitaker said, referring to the Vikings' scheme. "That's what Mike tells us every day. We have to outplay their defense if we want to win the game. Of course, we're going against their offense, and we're game-planning for their offense but we are in it to outplay their defense."

The schemes, however, are not identical. Tomlin has his own wrinkles, just as Smith added twists to a system that was developed in large part by former Vikings defensive coordinator and current Indianapolis head coach Tony Dungy.

Safety Dwight Smith spent his first four seasons with Tomlin in Tampa Bay. He said the Buccaneers played Cover-2, "80 percent of the time," under defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Tomlin uses it, "30, maybe 40 percent of the time," according to Smith.

It's all about 'sugar'

Tomlin's ability to play the NFL's equivalent of chess became evident in the Vikings' overtime victory over Carolina last Sunday. Knowing the Panthers would be expecting to see a knockoff of a Buccaneers defense they face twice every season in the NFC South, Tomlin switched things by blitzing 60 percent of the time, and consistently on third down.

Whitaker explains that this type of move "sugars things up."We're a Tampa-2 team, we're a Cover-2 team," said Whitaker, who played for Tomlin in Tampa Bay and is used in nickel situations by the Vikings. "But that's what Carolina was looking for. They looked for us to come out Cover-2, Cover-2, Cover-2. And then we came out and blitzed and blitzed and blitzed. That's the sugar right there. You have to understand the scheme we're running is a smokescreen for other stuff that we can do."

That bit of deception is necessary because the Vikings' defensive playbook isn't all that big.

"When you have a limited number of defensive schemes, you have to do a nice job of coordinating looks and making them look the same or look similar," Tomlin said. "And that's what sugar means. Just guys moving around pre-snap, providing different looks but playing in the small menu."

Rest assured the Bears will see a bit of sugar -- or as defensive tackle Kevin Williams called it "a curveball" -- that probably wasn't even installed until mid-week.

"Coach Tomlin is a big fan of the sneaky install," said nose tackle Ross Kolodziej, part of Tomlin's eight-man rotation on the defensive line. "Even on the [practice] field. He'll be like, 'Why don't we just try and do this look a little bit different.' "

Kolodziej said Tomlin and his staff spent countless hours drilling the fundamentals of the base package home before beginning to add elements. This meant that players had a chance to gain a thorough understanding of the Tampa-2 and what it calls for before being asked to absorb more information.

Whitaker says it's this type of instruction and savvy that helps make Tomlin, "probably the best coach I've ever played for."

It's a compliment Tomlin appreciates but for now he remains more concerned with making sure his message continues to get across.

"I'm just focused on the job that we have to do," he said. "It's not about me and it's not about our coaching staff. We're going to do the very best that we can do to put the guys in a position to perform but players win games. Coaches lose games. I've always had that mentality. So we're going to do the best job that we can to put guys in position to win it."
    -Sno

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345