Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Bears-Vikings Preview

Bears-Vikings Preview
    Associated Press
    21 September 2006

The Chicago Bears are again one of the top defensive teams in the NFL. Its their offense, however, that has first-year Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress concerned.

Chicago looks to open 3-0 for the first time since 1991, while Minnesota tries to begin a season with three straight victories for the first time in three years when the NFC North rivals meet at the Metrodome on Sunday.
    Quarterback Rex Grossman hasn't made more than three starts in his last three years in Chicago due to injuries and was less than impressive during the preseason, leading to speculation that he could lose his starting job to veteran Brian Griese.

The Bears' offense, however, has flourished with Grossman under center in the first two games. Grossman leads the NFL with a 128.7 rating, is tied for first with five touchdown passes and is fifth with 551 yards passing as Chicago has scored an NFC-high 60 points.

"I know it's always been fashionable to say (the Bears) haven't had the offense to go along with the defense," Childress said. "They've got the leading passer in the National Football League right now ... A lot of times you have to grow into those offenses. I think you're seeing, obviously, Rex Grossman mature."

Grossman set a career high with 262 yards in the season opener against Green Bay and then threw for 289 in last Sunday's 34-7 win over Detroit, connecting on 20-of-27 passes.

"(The fans) have been on him so hard the last few weeks," said Bears tight end Desmond Clark, who caught five passes for 85 yards and a touchdown last week. "You sit back and you're like, 'Damn, just a few months ago he was (hailed) and now you're booing him.' I like what he's doing. I hope he can keep it up."

The defense will also be looking to keep up its strong play. Chicago has given up only seven points and is fifth in the NFL in total defense, allowing 256 yards a game.

Grossman will be facing a Minnesota defense that is ranked seventh in the NFL, but suffered another blow last week with the loss of defensive end Erasmus James to a torn ACL. James joins safety Tank Williams (kneecap), linebacker Chad Greenway (knee) and cornerback Dovonte Edwards (arm) on injured reserve.

Still, the Vikings defense has allowed only two touchdowns, held opponents to just 7-for-27 on third-down conversions and forced 14 punts.

Childress feels the depth of the defensive unit will make the losses easier to handle.

"We like fresh faces in there, fresh bodies," Childress said. "A guy can get out and if (we) have equally as much confidence in the guy who goes in, that ends up being huge."

Minnesota is coming off a 16-13 overtime win over Carolina last weekend after opening the season with a 19-16 victory at Washington. The Vikings trailed the Panthers 13-6 in the fourth quarter when kicker Ryan Longwell faked a field-goal attempt and passed to Richard Owens in the end zone to tie the score.

Longwell, who signed with the Vikings as a free agent in the offseason after nine years with Green Bay, then made a 19-yard field goal in overtime.

"Ten years in, I finally got one," Longwell said of his 16-yard TD pass.

Minnesota quarterback Brad Johnson didn't throw a touchdown in the game, but was 19-of-31 for 243 yards. He connected with Troy Williamson six times for 102 yards, giving the second-year receiver 179 yards in two games after managing just 372 in 14 contests last year.

The Vikings are averaging only 3.4 rushing yards per carry, but Chester Taylor showed promise against the Panthers, running for 113 yards on 24 carries.

The home team has won each of the last eight meetings in this series, with Chicago's last victory in Minneapolis coming on Nov. 25, 2001.

"If we can get this one, it would really set us up," Minnesota safety Darren Sharper said. "We usually play well against them."

Gift is offline Coordinator

Re: Bears-Vikings Preview

I honestly think the bears are completely looking past this game.
    We should have a suprise for them.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Vinland is offline Rookie

If 'da bears are looking past this game then their a bunch of fools....if anything, these old rivalries should have taught the players and coaches that anything can happen.

I think us fans, the coaching staff and the players will learn alot about themselves as a team after Sunday's game.
    Me, I can't wait!!
    GO VIKES

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

I hope the bears are looking past the vikings so we can completely blindside them

Navycoach is offline Starter

Hey all! Been a while, but I'm still around. Looking forward to this sunday's game as I FINALLY have Sunday Ticket to see ALL of the Vikes games this year. (Stupid Seahawks state) Anyways, just read that the Bears will be starting rookie saftey Danieal Manning this sunday instead of 2nd year man, Chris Harris. Looks like it's going to be "pick on the rook" day in the Dome!

SKOL!

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Check this from John Clayton:

Everyone predicts an easy ride for the Bears. They have one of the league's best defenses, as well as the league's easiest schedule. But their control of the NFC North will be dependent upon how well they do against the Vikings, and it doesn't help that the game is in Minnesota. Brad Childress has established the personality of his team in victories against the Redskins and Panthers. The defense is hard-hitting. The offense isn't going to be high-scoring, but it will try to wear down a defense with the running of Chester Taylor and the power of its offensive line. Historically, big offensive lines with good running games are problems for light, Cover 2 defenses such the Bears'. QB Rex Grossman will have to have another big game for the Bears to overcome that potential problem. Grossman is off to a good start. He averaged 273 passing yards in victories over the Packers and Lions. The pressure is on the Vikings in this game. If they lose to the Bears, the Bears may be hard to catch. The Bears would be 3-0 in the division and have a home game against the Vikings on Dec

Vinland is offline Rookie

HEY NAVY COACH!
    Thats all we get here to is the Seahawks game.
    Would you so happen to know if Spokane Fox is going to broadcast the Vikings-Bears since Seattles game is the late one?

Thanks

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

Just made the call.
    it cost me plenty!
    Vikes win 24-17 VERY LATE in the game.
    Hail Mary pass they say.
    Refs may fight over the call.
    Troy gallops like the ghost of Moss as a rookie.
    And someone will spill a beer in the stands
    Sec 12 it looks like.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

Navycoach is offline Starter

"Vinland" wrote:
    HEY NAVY COACH!
    Thats all we get here to is the Seahawks game.
    Would you so happen to know if Spokane Fox is going to broadcast the Vikings-Bears since Seattles game is the late one?

Thanks
    No clue at all. However, I will be attending the Vikings/Seahawks game here on Oct 22nd. My grandma, sister, and cousin will be out here visiting over that time and I just HAD to get tickets for the game. Pretty excited as we are seated right next to the tunnel where the Vikes run out. Anyways, I'm rambling again.

SKOL!

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

not going to pay too much attention to grossman's stats considering who the two teams were that he played, if brad had it that easy too..he would be one of the highest rated passers too and had a field day...grossman hasnt faced a good defensive team until this sunday..then we will see..GOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKES
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast