Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2fat4uVike is offline Rookie

The basket case (Elling) may return

Elling returning to handle kickoffs?
    Last Update: 9/15/2004 11:37:23 AM

KFAN dot com

Vikings officials have spoken with the agent for kicker Aaron Elling about re-signing his client to handle kickoffs Monday night against Philadelphia.

Elling, released by Minnesota and Tennessee in the past two weeks, would kick off in place of 44-year-old Morten Andersen, who struggled in the Vikings' opener. Andersen would retain placekicking duties.

Vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski spoke with Elling's agent, Frank Murtha, late Tuesday and the club is weighing its options.

"There's a chance (of reaching a deal)," Murtha said. "I'm just waiting to hear back from those guys."

Elling was "on the verge of agreeing to a deal" with the Vikings late Tuesday, according to a report in The Tennessean, a Nashville newspaper.

Head coach Mike Tice on Tuesday said the club was considering elevating punter Travis Dorsch from the practice squad by Monday. Dorsch has a much stronger leg than Andersen but has been inconsistent.

Elling had 74 kickoffs in 2003, averaging 59.8 yards with one touchback. He was released Sept. 1 in favor of Brett Conway, who was waived a week later when the Vikings signed Andersen.
    088676aa021b660e4a867e020ba397cf

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

His kickoffs in preseason sucked, he was getting them down to the 5 yard line but they were line drives and are easy to return.

anything is better than this guy!!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I agree whack he will not help the team much if at all plus who will the Vikings release to open a roster spot for him?
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I dont understand, They are going through kickers like know ones busnis. One or the other they need to figure it out. I just dont think elling is consistent enough. Even on kick offs.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vikingstw" wrote:
    I dont understand, They are going through kickers like know ones busnis. One or the other they need to figure it out. I just dont think elling is consistent enough. Even on kick offs.

Why bring elling back for kickoffs, when we could bring conway back, and he has a better leg?? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The only thing I would actually be willing to see bringing elling back for, is to punt. Man did he punted good for the titans in week 1.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

And do we really need a punter, and 2 kickers on our active roster, as well as another kicker on our practice squad?? Good god, enough with all the kickers already! Never seen a team with so many damn kickers and TE's.

I usually back Tice on most of his decisions, but he should have went and found a good punter and kicker in the offseason and paid some bucks to do it.

When you are going into a year that you think is going to be a run at the superbowl, and come into camp with a project kicker and punter is stupidity!!!!

Del Rio Guest

Whats wrong with our punter now?

Joins the Vikings after 9 seasons with San Diego...Should excel within the climate-controlled Metrodome...Holds every punting record in Chargers history...Named to NFL's Team of the Decade for the 1990s...Earned spot on Chargers' 40th Anniversary team. Honored with Pro Bowl berths following 1995 and 2000. Holds a career punting average of 43.8 yards per punt. Has had only 3 punts blocked in 771 career attempts. Averaged landing 27 punts per season inside opponent?s 20 yard lines. Joined Chargers as a free agent in 1994, spending season on practice squad. Contacted San Diego during his honeymoon spent on the West Coast about a tryout and impressed coaches enough to offer him a contract. Played for Amsterdam of the World League in spring of 1995, earning all-league honors.

2003 Had 82 punts on the season and averaged 41.9 yards per punt. Ranked 2nd in the AFC and tied for 4th in the NFL with 28 punts inside the opponent's 20. Notched his career-low with only 3 touchbacks. Posted season-high 10 punts vs. Oakland (12/28) in season finale, tieing the 2nd-most punts in a game of his career. Booted season-long 56 yarder and dropped 4 inside the 20 at Oakland (9/28). Matched season-long with a 56-yarder at Cleveland (10/19). Had a pair of special teams tackles

Last season we had Elling kicking and Eddie Johnson punting, Elling could not get the job done and had to have a different kicker brought in to kick. They had to bring punters in to try and motivate Johnson into punting better.

We go into the offseason and Tice declares Elling our kicker nad Johnson our Punter. after the minnicamps it was so apparent that Johnson couldn't cut it they finally went and looked for a punter and the best they could come up with is Bennett.

He doesn't bring anyone that had a serious chance of beating out Elling to camp becasue he is stubborn and wants Elling to be the Kicker. Even tho he had to replace him 3/4 of the way through the previous season. By the time he finally admitts that Elling sucks and has to take Morten Anderson.

He should have went out and signed a good punter and kicker right after last season when there might have been some options!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we are going to have a third kicker on the lineup who can not kickoff well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Bennett has been struggling with his punts, they are not hanging long and he has had a bunch of short punts.

Del Rio Guest

Ah I see I didn't know Bennett wasn't doing well. I just always thought he was one of the best.

I agree on the kicker situation. Doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

I'll get worried when Tice starts giving people fines for showing up early to a meeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast