cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Bad and good news for the Vikes

Injuries hit Vikings linebackers, center
    Story Tools: Print Email
    Associated Press
    Posted: 5 hours ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - The hobbled Minnesota Vikings are more than happy to be 2-1, with a much-needed week off allowing them a chance to begin to heal.

Players won't practice until Thursday, and they'll have Saturday and Sunday off, too, before reconvening to prepare for their next game, an Oct. 10 trip to Houston.
    That probably won't be enough time for linebackers E.J. Henderson and Chris Claiborne, center Matt Birk and tight end Jermaine Wiggins to get healthy, but it sure doesn't hurt. No pun intended.

"This bye comes at a pretty good time for me," Birk said, "and for all of us."

Henderson has a sprained left knee, Claiborne has a strained left calf and Birk has a sprained left ankle - injuries sustained in Sunday's 27-22 victory over Chicago. Wiggins broke his left hand Sept. 20 at Philadelphia. The four of them are expected back for the Oct. 17 game at New Orleans.

"We get a week to regroup and get somewhat healthy," coach Mike Tice said Monday. "Will we be considerably healthy? No, but we'll get somewhat healthy."

The news on Henderson was promising, because he was initially feared lost for up to six weeks. Because of an old injury he had on the knee, it might actually heal faster, Tice said.

Right tackle Mike Rosenthal (right foot), tight end Jim Kleinsasser (right knee) and cornerback Ken Irvin (right Achilles' tendon) already are out for the season. Rosenthal was scheduled for surgery Monday, and Kleinsasser will have surgery Tuesday.

These setbacks have forced a half-dozen backups into key roles, but the results have clearly been satisfactory.

Cory Withrow, save for an early snap that led to a fumble on a reverse deep in Bears territory, played well in relief of Birk. Sean Berton and Richard Owens were solid at tight end. Rookie Nat Dorsey replaced Adam Haayer at right tackle for the third possession on Sunday and never came out. And rookie Dontarrious Thomas, after losing his starting job at weakside linebacker, was awarded the game ball after making 11 tackles and forcing a fumble while filling in for Henderson.

"Somebody asked me what lesson I learned," Thomas said. "I said, 'Be prepared for anything.' Not just be prepared for your position, but be prepared for any position that goes down. You never know what's going to happen."

Running back Michael Bennett has been cleared to practice at full speed and will return for the Texans game after sitting out the first three with a sprained right knee. Onterrio Smith has almost made everyone forget about him, rushing for 198 yards (an average of 4.7 yards per carry) and catching 15 passes out of the backfield for a team-high 223 yards receiving.

Pending his appeal hearing later this week, Smith is expected to begin serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy after the Vikings' bye. But with Bennett back, the timing is good.

"We're going to move on," Tice said.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Hate to see all of the injuries, but the backups are showing that the Vikes have some depth that can be relied on in the clutch. Makes our drafting the last few years look brilliant!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

This is the one thing I am very pessimistic about right now. These injuries are becoming a weekly problem. The team has not had this many injuries pile up since the 2001 season. I know this is why you try to get talented depth, and I'm glad to hear the backups seem up to the challenge. But at this rate it will affect our season performance, especially if they happen to the offense, knock on wood.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Havent seen this many injuries so early in the season for awhile. Actually when was the last time we has this many injuries so early in the season?
    2001 was bad but i dont think as bad as this was.

This could really hurt our playoff chances and division crown if we keep getting these ridiculous injuries.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It is happening all over the league. As long as we don't have more season ending injuries, we will be alright. Hang in there guys!

We can't afford anymore injuries on the O-line. I think that most of the other positions can be filled in house.

If we can get everyone back (except those on IR, of course), the Vikings can still be force in the playoffs. What remains to be seen is how the replacements play in the big games, but also how they handle the games that the Vikings are supposed to win.