Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

That bad feeling again

I know, "Its only preseason," but I don't have a great feeling about this season at all. Back in April, I thought, even in the preseason, we'd be dominating teams. Now, it seems half of our players are huffing paint.
    135 yards is a shi*tload to give up in one quarter by our "improved" D. Wow, Nap got a sack. 80% 3rd down conversions. Pat Williams has been the only improvement i've seen.
    Our O-Line can't make holes and jump early and hold, our special teams still suck. Can't play on the road. Tice still can't properly prepare the team mentally. Birk has had more surgery than my grandfather. Loney seems about as creative as a meth head.
    I have a feeling this will be a throwaway season in which Wilf fires EVERYONE and we pay big bucks for a real coaching staff that might get us to the big game before the salary cap leaves us like the Titans. HOPEFULLY NOT!
    Sorry to be so negative, but it is the Vikings we're talking about.

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: That bad feeling again

yeah but we played two post-season calliber teams this preseason, the jets and the chargers. The jets game we should of had if it wasn't for so many darn fumbles, we killed ourselves. And of course we did win against the chargers. I dont think pat is the only upgrade that you see. What about EJ? He's been rippin it up so far. We are starting to see some of our guys get around the QB a little faster. Yeah the O-line isn't looking that great right now, nor is our special teams, but, don't be so negative right away. The vikes will be good.

douginc is offline Starter

...stupid double post

douginc is offline Starter

Unfortunately, San Diego wasn't even using, in my opinion, the most dominant running back in the league, and we appeared to still have problems. I was at the game (my first game ever!) and there were just a lot of mental/coaching miscues. Like on their touchdown score, we sent an outside linebacker blitz and had both our safety AND our cover corner playing zone coverage in the middle of the field. He was unbelievably wide open. Things like that happened too often. The great news is, now we have veterans on our team with actual talent. As opposed to years before where it seemed everyone we had on D is a rookie, at least mentally. I think it might take up to 5/6 regular season games for us to get our roll on. But damn, it'll get on. Toine' Winfield had that badazz breakup mauling, Rivers got NapSacked, and I do believe Fat Williams literally ate a dude on the D-line (he was still hungry, truth).

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I wouldn't even be worried. The Patriots and Eagles went 1-3 last year in Spring Training.

I got 1 word to set your mind at ease....Pre-season! :wink:

faninphx is offline Starter

I agree. Our O-Line really worries me. I watched the Jets game and we couldn't stop anybody. Thank God for Culpepper. Plus, I don't think we have an above-average running back. Also, our "improved" defensive backs still give up way too much.
    But, as already mentioned, it's still preseason. Remember back in 2000 when we went 1-3 in preseason and everyone said C-Pep couldn't cut the mustard? Then the following year in 2001 we went 4-0 and I thought we looked really sharp. Then comes our first game of the season and we look like we're still in training camp mode.

Another good thing to remember is that the Lions, Bears and Packers look way worse than we do. And in the end, isn't that the most important thing?

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Like Ultra said, it's PRESEASON for Christ sakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait to start your worrying until the regular season starts... :roll:
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah, as I've said before, we went 4-0 in the preseason the year we went 5-11 in the regular season. It don't mean jacksquat!

pigskinronin is offline Starter

I guess what has a few of us worried is the defense is not gelling as fast as we had hoped. We're all dreaming of a top-tiered defense that can just dominate an offense. How many times after a big pass play did we see the defenders looking at each other and you know they're saying "where were you?" or "I thought you had him?'

The communication will improve, the defense will gel, the turnovers will start happening. This team will improve.

I would rather have a team that improves slowly than one that lays down in the 2nd half of the season.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

well said pigskin ronin

Go vikes!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast