Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Backing into playoffs no issue for some Vikings players

[size=13pt]Backing into playoffs no issue for some[/size]

If the Vikings make the playoffs only because Chicago loses to Houston, that won't be a problem for some of their players.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: December 25, 2008 - 6:36 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Backing into playoffs no issue for some Vikings players

If you listen to JA's 12/24/08 interview, he also mentions that regardless of how you get in, during the season you won enough games to be there.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/teamguides/vikings/index.html

I've always believed that. The order of the schedule & your wins & loses shouldn't matter. What matters is you won enough of your games to earn the title or wildcard spot.

If the weeks we played the Giants & Cardinals were swapped & we had lost to the Giants that week, won the Cardinals game in week 17 & the Bears lost in week 17, does that really change things?

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Why would anyone care?
    We would be the three seed whether or not we win, and we are obviously a better team than the Bears.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    If you listen to JA's 12/24/08 interview, he also mentions that regardless of how you get in, during the season you won enough games to be there.

I've always believed that. The order of the schedule & your wins & loses shouldn't matter. What matters is you won enough of your games to earn the title or wildcard spot.

If the weeks we played the Giants & Cardinals were swapped & we had lost to the Giants that week, won the Cardinals game in week 17 & the Bears lost in week 17, does that really change things?
    Does it matter in terms of getting into the playoffs? Definitely not. However, the other factor, as you know, is momentum going into the playoffs. That is why the Giants are playing to win on Sunday. That is why going into the playoffs after two losses to playoff-bound teams is not a good thing.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Does it matter in terms of getting into the playoffs? Definitely not. However, the other factor, as you know, is momentum going into the playoffs. That is why the Giants are playing to win on Sunday. That is why going into the playoffs after two losses to playoff-bound teams is not a good thing.
    Who says the Giants are going to play to win? They may or may not rest some of their starters or at least give them limited playing time. We won't know that until game time.

Momentum is nice to have, but don't you think that a team that just lost their last game might be a lot hungrier for a win?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Keeping things in perspective our division consists of one of the worst teams ever in the Lions, a Packers team that is one of the worst they have put on the field in 20 year and a Bears team that is in the midst of a rebuild after the SB run of a few years back. Couple that with the fact that we are 3 years into a new coaching staff, have stocked the roster with multiple high profile FA signings and having drafted several players who are now at the point that they should be solidifying the roster and it should be no great feeling to be this close to being out of the playoffs. We should be dominating the division and in firm control of our own fate.

That being said, we are poised to make this the year we finally win the SB. Nothing else matters.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I sure as hell hope they are all concerned about, [size=10pt]"Backing OUT of the Playoffs!!"
    [/size]

Happy Holidaze everyone!!!
    Cheers!
    Prost!
    Salut!
    Skol!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

ktarinze is offline Rookie

i dont care if we back into the playoffs but i think are players should have the attitude that we must win to get in and not rely on anyone else i dont care though as long as we make it

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't mind about backing in. Of course all the Bears and Packer fans will try to make us look bad. But whatever, once you are in it is a whole new season. Momentum is nice but home field is even better. I just want to get in.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Listened to the Radio yesterday and they had some coaches and ex ball players on.

Each and everyone said that the "Back Into the Playoffs" garbage only means something to the press and the fans.
    Players don't give a squat how they get in.
    They only want to get there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast