gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Back from the dead

pretty long article. ill just put the vikings stuff. the rest of it is here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cnnsi-backfromthedead&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

The Fine Fifteen
    13. Minnesota (8-5). Not really sure what to make of this team, but any team playing mistake-free on offense, forcing turnovers on defense and riding a six-game winning streak in December is a threat.

Ten Things I Think I Think
    3. d. The Minnesota defense forced six more turnovers. The Vikes are a factor now.

4. c. Nice drop with the game on the line, Roy Williams. No wonder the Lions stink.

d. Green Bay guard Will Whitticker and his false starts. Absurd.

e. Gee whiz, Jeff Garcia. Stop your whining out there.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Back from the dead

Factoid That May Interest Only Me

An even better quote from the article:

On the New Jersey transit train from Montclair, N.J., into New York last Wednesday, I saw a New Jersey Nets poster advertising tickets. On the poster was a picture of Jason Kidd. Tickets are a tough sell these days, apparently, with the team announcing its intention to move to Brooklyn in a couple of years.

"Go to Brooklyn, looser,' someone scrawled on the poster.

Beneath it, someone else scrawled: "Go to spelling school, loser.'
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The BEST part of the article:

7. I think, as the Colts go down what could be an undefeated path, I want to go back in time a decade to when the Bucs hired Dungy. I do this to let you know that sometimes the best hire you make is not the one with the loudest trumpets. It's the smart one. The unassuming Dungy was as much Wally Cox as Bill Parcells. Look at him now. "When we hired Tony,' recalls Rich McKay, now Atlanta's general manager, "believe me, they didn't throw any parades in Tampa. It was not a popular pick at all. We were a franchise in desperate need of credibility and stability. Only I had it reversed. We actually needed stability first, then credibility. I realized that after Jimmy Johnson and Steve Spurrier turned us down and then we had a list of maybe eight candidates. Tony was fifth or sixth on that list. I was doing some interviews out at the East-West [College All-Star] Game out west. Big-time Bucs, you know. I was interviewing guys in a hotel room, a single room, right there on the bed. Tony had broken his glasses and one of the earpieces was off the glasses. They were tilted to one side. After about an hour, I finally had to say, 'Will you please take those glasses off? They're driving me crazy.' But everything about his resume said winner.'

Everything about the early days said loser. In 1996, when the Bucs lost at home to Detroit, 27-0 in Week 5 to go 0-5, the 35,000 empty seats reminded everyone how hopeless this team was. Not Dungy. The night of the game, his wife, Lauren, asked him why he didn't just air out his underachieving masses. "Because they're really trying,' he said. The day after the game, when McKay and Dungy gathered to watched the game tape, McKay said there was no screaming. "Tony kept saying how good the players were. I knew, walking out of that meeting, we'd be OK.' And John Lynch, then a fourth-year Bucs safety, told me: "The problem with our franchise was we always were looking for the magic pill. And right about that time, Tony would be watching film with us and he'd say, 'The answer's right here. Look at that missed tackle.' He convinced us we were good and we didn't need any savior.' In other words, all you teams looking for new coaches, don't look for a magic pill. Look for a good coach.

Are you listening, Wilf???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

this guy always has good stuff to say. yeah wilf, listen up
    We're bringing purple back.