Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: ATTN Article Posters

"cogitans" wrote:
    Oh. One more thing I almost forgot.

I think the discusion about the Vikes' articles is a relevant one. But it's something else about the general NFL forum. Obviously not that we should have dublets, but in the entire NFL there are alot of news and information, and who is to say what all the people on this site find interesting and relevant. I think it's up to the discretion of the posters, and if they don't get any response on a topic or a player, they may not post articles like/about that again.

For the rest of us, just do as I do, don't read the threads you don't find relevant.
    True.
    However there is a very small segment who will post anything just to post.
    I see it sometimes.
    I did some investigating and can track where members are on the site.
    Some have come straight to the forum and posted and then left.
    Did not check or nothing, just a "post and leave".

It is not for me to judge if a topic is threadworthy and have never (maybe less than 5 times) deleted a topic I felt was not worthy of being a standalone thread.
    Never.
    The ones I did delete had like 5 words and no link...thats just plain sloppy.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    The only thing that frustrates me about articles is 30 articles all saying the same thing. I merge at least one a day. Someone gets it from ESPN, and someone gets it from CBSSPORTS, someone snags one from MSNBC..........and they are all the same story. A lot of the time they are the EXACT same thing or slightly altered in an insignificant way.

Other then that I personally have no issues with them. I like when Prophet posts one from the Onion and he gets 2 pages of people beliving it and making themselves look like Favretards
    Exactly.
    They all say basically the same thing.
    Just different asshats writing them.
    There are a lot of times I will post more than one article discussing the same topic. You will get different views from different writers on differemt papers. I.E. The Free Press will post a positive article on a topic, yet the Trib will put a negative twist on it.

I post them both because it draws different views of opinions, reactions & posts from the members.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:
    I agree it was getting out of hand. I always try to post things that pertain to a thread in that thread. Singer does a great job and I try to check with him if something had been posted already. (I never could get that search thingy to work right ;D)

Maybe threads need to have better titles so people know it's a Smoot thread, or a Koren thread, or the last game thread. This would make it easier to find if things had already been posted by just knowing where they go! ;D

That's why I leave the Fan Forum alone, just posting replies to things already under discussion, and doing my joke page.
    ;D
    Good feedback.

The titles of the threads has improved a ton.
    Before you would see titles like "I can't believe this" and you had no idea what it was about.
    And then the same article would show up as a duplicate.

Very hard to tell what a thread is about if the title does not reflect the content of it...especially if it is an article.
    I never could get that search thingy to work right
    Before you would see titles like "I can't believe this" and you had no idea what it was about.
    Those are the two biggest reasons for duplicate posts. Others, I believe, don't even bother checking to seee if it's been posted by checking the forum or by using search.

Very few people IMO, used or could figure out how to use the old "search" feature with much success.

I've been guilty of not checking or searching myself. I've become so acustomed to getting to the articles early enough, that 99.5% of the time I'm sure it's not a duplicate.

Ultra is right & I've said it several times in the past, threads like "I can't believe this", "WTF?" & others shouldn't be allowed. I like to look at a thread title & know exactly what it's about before I even open it.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Wiggles67" wrote:
    That is my only complaint about posts on PPO is that I know there have been many aricles I would have been very interested in reading but they are buried in 12 pages of posts.
    Its nothing against the board or the poeple running it, its just the way it is when you get over a mil views in a week.
    With a board of this size it is just something I am going to have to deal with.

It is hard to say what is considered worthy of its own thread and which ones should be added to existing.
    Well, some topics are very popular.
    If it is a topic worth reading many members will read every post in it.

Take the Koren thing.
    If all the "relevant" posts and articles were in 1 thread you would know exactly where to find them, right?
    Or they could be scattered all over and some having titles not reflecting the content of the thread.
    If all articles and posts were placed in the proper thread, you just go there and read the posts that you have not read.
    I think that is the most efficient way to run the site.
    The problem with that is that the thread gets huge & while everything is contained in one thread, an article may appear on any one of lets say 24 pages. Someones comment on trading K-Rob to the jags might appear on anyone of those 24 pages while discussions on his contract may appear on pages 2, 13, 18 & 24. It makes it difficult to search "within" the thread, especially if it is long to find something you're looking for.

Another feature of this site I use often & many people may be unaware of it is the "Show new replies to your posts" & "Show unread posts since last visit".

I use "Show new replies to your posts" as a "one shop stop" to see if a reply has been made to a thread I've posted in & "Show unread posts since last visit" as a "one shop stop" to see all the new threads created since I was last on PP.O.

Once you go into one of the threads listed under those two topics, it is removed from the list. You can also use "Mark all as read" to clear them all off the list. I use the two lists under those two topics to keep current & to see what is new.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Food for thought!

Dial Up Perspective.......

I have been forced to use dial up for my internet services this summer.
    Since I have been using it for 3 months, I have realized how slow it is and how useless the internet is without a high speed connection.

I can see where it might be easier to page through the forum titles and find something that pertains to what you want to read rather than to have to page through 7 pages of a thread and realize that you didn't find what you wanted in that thread.

I have really had to pick and chose what topics I am going to open and read because it is such a painfully slow process.

There are pros and cons to any way you approach the Article Posting topic.

I hate dial up!
    Only 2 more weeks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234