Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: ATTN Article Posters

"Del" wrote:
    The only thing that frustrates me about articles is 30 articles all saying the same thing. I merge at least one a day. Someone gets it from ESPN, and someone gets it from CBSSPORTS, someone snags one from MSNBC..........and they are all the same story. A lot of the time they are the EXACT same thing or slightly altered in an insignificant way.

Other then that I personally have no issues with them. I like when Prophet posts one from the Onion and he gets 2 pages of people beliving it and making themselves look like Favretards
    Exactly.
    They all say basically the same thing.
    Just different asshats writing them.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Let's all relax andtake a deep breathe.
    I have been considering the situation, and if I come up with a good solution that will keep everyone happy I certainly will implement it.
    Trouble is, there are 35 different ways I can address it right now, and I will decide on one.
    I am on the case of one scenario that essentially gives both camps their cake.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Webby" wrote:
    Let's all relax andtake a deep breathe.
    I have been considering the situation, and if I come up with a good solution that will keep everyone happy I certainly will implement it.
    Trouble is, there are 35 different ways I can address it right now, and I will decide on one.
    I am on the case of one scenario that essentially gives both camps their cake.
    That's good Webby. There were some good suggestions made and I know you will come up with a rule we can all follow.
    ;D
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

RK.
    RK. is online now Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Personally I like the articles and actually appreciate it when the whole article is posted especially from those news sources that require registering to their site in order to read such.

Maybe an article forum with pinned topics like Players, coaches, games, general Vikings comments, etc. that doesn't allow discussion just article posting.
    People can post the article in the appropriate spot then engage in a discussion of it in another forum with just a link to the article posted.
    That way the different takes on a topic or player can be posted one after the other with out having to wade through 5 pages of posts calling the reporter an asshat after every article post.
    ;D
    It would also allow finding all the articles on a particular subject in one place instead of several different threads.
    Also it would help with duplicate posting of an article.

WWBGD

Prophet Guest

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    ...Furthermore, I see a lot of articles in the General NFL Forum about players who are really not worth reporting on.
    I do not want to cite specific threads and point people out, but some of the topics are players who are 90% unknown.
    I know that's directed at me, but I don't care.
    I only post articles in the general NFL that I find interesting or that have a twist with implications on other teams (except for a few that are just in fun).
    I'll continue to post what I perceive as interesting, the interest level is only perceived anyway
    I've posted information that I thought nobody would probably be interested in and articles that I've thought most would be interested in and have found out that you just never know.
    If you're a fan of any team you should keep abreast of what's going on around the league and what's trivial?
    Tough to define, today's triviality is tomorrow's star.
    To me, the beauty of a message board is that if the article or point isn't interesting to other members it goes away on its own.
    No interest?
    It gets buried.

Regarding posting articles in existing threads and only starting new threads if there is another twist, I couldn't agree more.
    Many do a good job at this, but this will be a continuous battle, new folks come one and post stuff without knowing the features and some refuse to do a basic search.

We all screw up sometimes and post dupes, but a minimal search would solve many of those issues.
    Posting articles is often the starting point of members adding their point of view and the starting point of discussions.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about having a special news forum.
    The discussion and news should be intermingled.
    I've been an administrator and member of many sites that have gone this route and it splits up the discussions.
    That's just a matter of opinion, but that's my interpretation of what happened.
    The more forums, the more jumping around you have to do to discuss a topic and the less interaction by the majority of the board.

Anything done to minimize duplicate threads and keep the board organized is good.
    Micromanaging what we can and cannot post is bad.
    No, not directed at you.

Nobody is "Micromanaging".
    Just asking that members keep things a little tighter.
    Sorry, didn't mean to target that comment.
    I agree with keeping things tight, that's one of the reasons I like the site....all the work the mods do is greatly appreciated, even though I don't come out and say it often.

I have visited some of our competitors, other football forums, and I am actually a member of some photography, digital editing and other forums.
    And do you know what I see there?
    On most I see a site without any organization at all...none.
    They are so hard to navigate that you have to start a new thread if you have a question or want to express an opinion.
    And do you know what happend if that has been posted months ago...they flame the "F" out of you and carry on and on about how noobs suck.
    It's terrible.
    We do not do that here.
    Why?
    We are organized and polite.
    Go to a few others sites and you will see.

I cannot find an example because the site is no longer open, but I joined an TI-89 calculator forum for help with my calculator.
    Hell, 90% of the members were there just for the same reason.
    I had a question about how to do polynomial factoring with my calculator.
    I did a ton of various searches and read a lot of threads.
    Finally, I posted a new topic and asked a question.
    I swear I did not get one good response to help me.
    I got flamed...big time.
    I was called a noob and told to look.
    When I told them I looked they said look harder.
    Finally somebody posted a link to ta thread that was almost a year old.

We do not want to do that type of behavior here at all.
    We want PP.O to be pleasant for all (or darn close).
    I am always open to suggestions and some of the things I post are just not my will and I almost always pass everything by Webby.

Thanks.

Prophet Guest

I don't think there's a rational member here who doesn't like organization.
    I use to post this:

Click on Bill’s face
    [img width=189 height=231]http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/callingtheshots/images/groundhog_day.jpg[/img]

whenever there was a repeat thread or topic.
    I always thought of it as a polite and somewhat humorous way to let people know the thread already exists and I typically posted a link to the thread.
    Some folks got uptight about even a light-hearted reminder so I have refrained from the 'groundhog day' post as much as I possibly can.

With a board this size that is continually growing and that has members ranging from young'uns to old'uns and from newcomers to old-time members there will always be some problems with repeat threads and starting new threads that some deem to be unworthy.
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to keep the board as organized as possible in a cordial way.

The PP.O community is one of the main selling points of this site.
    If you stick around long enough you will enjoy the diversity of folks and opinions on the site and now you can even ignore people if you desire.
    Good stuff.

Anything that makes the board more managable and less work for the mods to regulate is fine by me.

Man, you gotta keep Bill!

Sometimes I'll be scanning the site and see s duplicate.
    and I always know that 'ol Bill may make it there before me!

That is one of the funniest animations ever!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I'll not come up with some span on how I use the site, or how it should work. Because I think most has allready been said, and I can understand why you started this Ultra, but I can also see Cojo's point, though I think you talked a bit besides eachother.

What I posted for were to mention that especially on days where I'm busy, and can't follow the site as closely as usually I find it very important with good threadtitles as Fedje mentioned, and also that good article posters highlight the relevant new information if they post a new article in an old thread.

Just my 5 cents

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Oh. One more thing I almost forgot.

I think the discusion about the Vikes' articles is a relevant one. But it's something else about the general NFL forum. Obviously not that we should have dublets, but in the entire NFL there are alot of news and information, and who is to say what all the people on this site find interesting and relevant. I think it's up to the discretion of the posters, and if they don't get any response on a topic or a player, they may not post articles like/about that again.

For the rest of us, just do as I do, don't read the threads you don't find relevant.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast