Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: ATTN Article Posters

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    ...Furthermore, I see a lot of articles in the General NFL Forum about players who are really not worth reporting on.
    I do not want to cite specific threads and point people out, but some of the topics are players who are 90% unknown.
    I know that's directed at me, but I don't care.
    I only post articles in the general NFL that I find interesting or that have a twist with implications on other teams (except for a few that are just in fun).
    I'll continue to post what I perceive as interesting, the interest level is only perceived anyway
    I've posted information that I thought nobody would probably be interested in and articles that I've thought most would be interested in and have found out that you just never know.
    If you're a fan of any team you should keep abreast of what's going on around the league and what's trivial?
    Tough to define, today's triviality is tomorrow's star.
    To me, the beauty of a message board is that if the article or point isn't interesting to other members it goes away on its own.
    No interest?
    It gets buried.

Regarding posting articles in existing threads and only starting new threads if there is another twist, I couldn't agree more.
    Many do a good job at this, but this will be a continuous battle, new folks come one and post stuff without knowing the features and some refuse to do a basic search.

We all screw up sometimes and post dupes, but a minimal search would solve many of those issues.
    Posting articles is often the starting point of members adding their point of view and the starting point of discussions.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about having a special news forum.
    The discussion and news should be intermingled.
    I've been an administrator and member of many sites that have gone this route and it splits up the discussions.
    That's just a matter of opinion, but that's my interpretation of what happened.
    The more forums, the more jumping around you have to do to discuss a topic and the less interaction by the majority of the board.

Anything done to minimize duplicate threads and keep the board organized is good.
    Micromanaging what we can and cannot post is bad.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    I'm with you Ultra!
    I don't think it's that hard or too much to ask for people to just post articles in existing threads.
    I like reading articles too but I find out half of my information from the great football minds that frequent this site, not just the articles.
    I agree with you 100% WBL (and even with Ultra). That is not my question or why I am discussing this. My only problem is that throughout this post we have talked about if an article has a "different twist" even though it is about something already discussed, where should that be posted? We all agree that it deserves a new post. But who makes that decision? I guess it's up to the moderators, and I don't have a problem with that. But I do have a problem with it if someone makes a personal decision that an article is worthy of a "stand-alone" article and then gets called out for making that decision. That why I fear posting anymore articles.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

I don't know if I would "fear" posting articles.
    ;D

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    I'm with you Ultra!
    I don't think it's that hard or too much to ask for people to just post articles in existing threads.
    I like reading articles too but I find out half of my information from the great football minds that frequent this site, not just the articles.
    I agree with you 100% WBL (and even with Ultra). That is not my question or why I am discussing this. My only problem is that throughout this post we have talked about if an article has a "different twist" even though it is about something already discussed, where should that be posted? We all agree that it deserves a new post. But who makes that decision? I guess it's up to the moderators, and I don't have a problem with that. But I do have a problem with it if someone makes a personal decision that an article is worthy of a "stand-alone" article and then gets called out for making that decision. That why I fear posting anymore articles.
    That is why unless it's something I know hasn't been discussed I leave it alone. But the point I'm making is there are so many threads about one person or other subject you don't know if something has been brought up in another thread. It also makes it harder to know if there is another twist that really does deserve another thread.

Granted there are many more members than before, and all the new members need to read the posting rules before they jump into posting. Maybe a period for new members only able to post in certain threads would work, or a demerit system of some kind. No, I guess not. But some kind of control of the situation needs to be addressed.

Personally, a lot of news I would like to know is missed because of the multiple threads, I have no time to read them all! Then I find something a week later I would have liked to comment on.

Until threads get under some kind of control I'll keep to the Clubhouse. ;D
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

That is my only complaint about posts on PPO is that I know there have been many aricles I would have been very interested in reading but they are buried in 12 pages of posts.
    Its nothing against the board or the poeple running it, its just the way it is when you get over a mil views in a week.
    With a board of this size it is just something I am going to have to deal with.

It is hard to say what is considered worthy of its own thread and which ones should be added to existing.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Prophet Guest

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    ...It is hard to say what is considered worthy of its own thread and which ones should be added to existing.
    True, it's a matter of opinion.
    Sometimes it is very obvious though.
    For example, if a headline today comes out that K-rob is cut from the team it would warrant it's own thread rather than burying it in all the K-rob is in trouble, court proceedings, trade bs, and contract discussions.
    There will always be threads that people think don't warrant their own turf.
    So be it, like you said, when there are over a million hits/week there will never be a time when everyone is satisfied with everything.
    We can just try our best and see what happens.

It appears to me that most of the perceived problems happen when new people come on and post all over the place on topics that are already well established and when people post without a cursory look at the existing topics on the first page or so and doing a 3 second search on the topic.

Del Rio Guest

The only thing that frustrates me about articles is 30 articles all saying the same thing. I merge at least one a day. Someone gets it from ESPN, and someone gets it from CBSSPORTS, someone snags one from MSNBC..........and they are all the same story. A lot of the time they are the EXACT same thing or slightly altered in an insignificant way.

Other then that I personally have no issues with them. I like when Prophet posts one from the Onion and he gets 2 pages of people beliving it and making themselves look like Favretards

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

i dont know if this is a solution or not, but what if there was (and maybe there already is) a link to a list of players in the articles, so like koren robinson would show up with a list of article "Links". kind of like a power search option, click player, shows list of articles with koren in it or about koren. and allow the Pro Culumnists to add those links, so they can add link, then get an option to fill in power search players, and then subset it to "contract" "arrrested" "boat scandal" and the subsets become forum discussions... im not sure if i explained what im thinking in the right words and know it would be kind of an extreme makeover, but it would create kind of a tree branch effect,

Koren click
    arrested click
    articles click or discuss article/topic click.

and maybe not limit it to just players, but artlicles the columnists want to link with nfl teams. but dont add a player if theres no news.

i see people having a hard time searching (me too) this would create maybe a friendly browsing ability to the site... ok, im just an idea man, sometimes there good,but most of the times there are serious flaws. and im not a programmer, so i would have no idea how to go about it, my wife is though, so i could ask her.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Prophet" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    ...Furthermore, I see a lot of articles in the General NFL Forum about players who are really not worth reporting on.
    I do not want to cite specific threads and point people out, but some of the topics are players who are 90% unknown.
    I know that's directed at me, but I don't care.
    I only post articles in the general NFL that I find interesting or that have a twist with implications on other teams (except for a few that are just in fun).
    I'll continue to post what I perceive as interesting, the interest level is only perceived anyway
    I've posted information that I thought nobody would probably be interested in and articles that I've thought most would be interested in and have found out that you just never know.
    If you're a fan of any team you should keep abreast of what's going on around the league and what's trivial?
    Tough to define, today's triviality is tomorrow's star.
    To me, the beauty of a message board is that if the article or point isn't interesting to other members it goes away on its own.
    No interest?
    It gets buried.

Regarding posting articles in existing threads and only starting new threads if there is another twist, I couldn't agree more.
    Many do a good job at this, but this will be a continuous battle, new folks come one and post stuff without knowing the features and some refuse to do a basic search.

We all screw up sometimes and post dupes, but a minimal search would solve many of those issues.
    Posting articles is often the starting point of members adding their point of view and the starting point of discussions.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about having a special news forum.
    The discussion and news should be intermingled.
    I've been an administrator and member of many sites that have gone this route and it splits up the discussions.
    That's just a matter of opinion, but that's my interpretation of what happened.
    The more forums, the more jumping around you have to do to discuss a topic and the less interaction by the majority of the board.

Anything done to minimize duplicate threads and keep the board organized is good.
    Micromanaging what we can and cannot post is bad.
    No, not directed at you.

Nobody is "Micromanaging".
    Just asking that members keep things a little tighter.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    That is my only complaint about posts on PPO is that I know there have been many aricles I would have been very interested in reading but they are buried in 12 pages of posts.
    Its nothing against the board or the poeple running it, its just the way it is when you get over a mil views in a week.
    With a board of this size it is just something I am going to have to deal with.

It is hard to say what is considered worthy of its own thread and which ones should be added to existing.
    Well, some topics are very popular.
    If it is a topic worth reading many members will read every post in it.

Take the Koren thing.
    If all the "relevant" posts and articles were in 1 thread you would know exactly where to find them, right?
    Or they could be scattered all over and some having titles not reflecting the content of the thread.
    If all articles and posts were placed in the proper thread, you just go there and read the posts that you have not read.
    I think that is the most efficient way to run the site.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast