Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

ATTN Article Posters

I think by now most everybody knows where to post and to check to see if an article was posted.

Now, the thing I and a whole lot of others have been witnessing in the past few months is the Fan Forum (our bread and butter forum) becoming nothing but article after article after article.
    Don't get me wrong, articles are great.
    But to go and see almost the entire page filled with articles is getting a little outta hand.

The problem with this is that there are so many articles that we are seeing less and less unique threads from members.
    The unique threads that are posted from the fan perspective is what attracted me to PP.O in the first place; not some dimwit sportswriter with an agenda.

If you find an article that is about a topic or player that is recent (week or so) add it to that topic.
    We do not need a new thread for every Koren article out there; they are basically all the same but with a little different spin.
    This is just getting out of control.

We will have a section soon for news, but in the meantime lets try and remedy this.
    99% of the time I "merge" the topic into a thread discusiing the same thing.
    However, on the new PP.O there is not any indication I merged it.
    On the old PP.O you would see a "Moved" by the merged thread.
    Here you see zilch.
    So, do not get all pissy if you do not see your topicl; its probably in where it should have been in the first place.

All we can really do is send nice fuzzy PM's reminding members who repeatedly continue to do this.
    Or, we have a feature now that bans a member from posting; and believe me I do not want to do that.

So, lets get some great takes out there from our members.

Feel free to add your comments, I do appreciate them whether you agree or disagree.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: ATTN Article Posters

I understand what you are saying and I fully agree.
    [size=14pt]BUT...[/size]
    I know a lot of people like the articles found on this site from the newspapers because they feel they can come to one site and find all the newspaper articles or internet articles about the Vikes.
    I know several people have said in the past, it's neat to be able to just go to one site and read all the articles in ONE PLACE!
    Now I've noticed that webby has articles from "Yahoo" and local newspapers on the bottom of the site but where are those coming from? And I know there are a lot being missed. But I don't expect Webby to spend 24/7 here looking up stuff.
    Singer is our "article poster" and I know that in the past several people have commented on how well they like it. In fact, when Singer went on vacation there were outcrys of "where are we gonna get out news."
    Just a question...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Yes, it is nice to go to one place and read the articles.
    I am not saying anything about getting rid of them at all.
    I do not see where you are going with this?
    The problem is that when something comes up (like Koren donkey butt) there are a lot of articles about it.
    Then, we have dozens of new threads for each article here.
    Why do we have to "flood" the Fan Forum with all these articles and push out really good threads that our members came up with as opposed to an article that is basically the same thing?
    What is the harm in "adding" it to an existing article?
    Nothing.
    I know I have heard in the past "I do not want to have to read through x amount of pages blah, blah, blah".
    Well, then go to the Star Tribune and read them there.
    I would venture a guess that members who are really interested in a certain topic take advantage of the fact that posts are marked read and then read the new posts to a thread....quite a unique feature.

If Singer goes on vacation the world falls apart, right?
    Somebody will post articles.
    I am just asking that they do it with a little neatness and not always have to have their own little thread for every article.
    I do not think I am asking too much here.
    We all really appreciate Singer for the work he does and the quality he does it with.
    In fact, Singer does it the way that I am asking others to do it.
    If he has a topic about Koren and new articles come out, he adds it to the original thread; unless there is a major twist.

Do you think that the Yahoo articles may serve a purpose?
    I mean being linked with Yahoo could expand our membership.

The whole point of this is:
    PP.O is a member driven community that values members insight more than the insight of a sportswriter.

Furthermore, I see a lot of articles in the General NFL Forum about players who are really not worth reporting on.
    I do not want to cite specific threads and point people out, but some of the topics are players who are 90% unknown.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

I agree it was getting out of hand. I always try to post things that pertain to a thread in that thread. Singer does a great job and I try to check with him if something had been posted already. (I never could get that search thingy to work right ;D)

Maybe threads need to have better titles so people know it's a Smoot thread, or a Koren thread, or the last game thread. This would make it easier to find if things had already been posted by just knowing where they go! ;D

That's why I leave the Fan Forum alone, just posting replies to things already under discussion, and doing my joke page.
    ;D
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    I agree it was getting out of hand. I always try to post things that pertain to a thread in that thread. Singer does a great job and I try to check with him if something had been posted already. (I never could get that search thingy to work right ;D)

Maybe threads need to have better titles so people know it's a Smoot thread, or a Koren thread, or the last game thread. This would make it easier to find if things had already been posted by just knowing where they go! ;D

That's why I leave the Fan Forum alone, just posting replies to things already under discussion, and doing my joke page.
    ;D
    Good feedback.

The titles of the threads has improved a ton.
    Before you would see titles like "I can't believe this" and you had no idea what it was about.
    And then the same article would show up as a duplicate.
    Very hard to tell what a thread is about if the title does not reflect the content of it...especially if it is an article.

While I agree with that in theory, I posted an article today that I thought was very interesting about Robinson's contract. That we owe him nothing and he owes the team a lot of money.
    I know a lot of people had been asking why we paid him a million$ up front. Well, this article answered the question. We didn't.
    I posted a seperate article on it. You joined it with all the other Koren articles and it got buried immediately because every may have thought it was just a rehash of what was there before. I just deleated the article.
    (Taking about Singer) If he has a topic about Koren and new articles come out, he adds it to the original thread; unless there is a major twist.
    So how do you pick and choose which article may deserve a seperate post?
    For instance, suppose Wilf gives Brad a raise. I think that's big news, but according to your idea it should be buried in some other article about Brad Johnson.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    While I agree with that in theory, I posted an article today that I thought was very interesting about Robinson's contract. That we owe him nothing and he owes the team a lot of money.
    I know a lot of people had been asking why we paid him a million$ up front. Well, this article answered the question. We didn't.
    I posted a seperate article on it. You joined it with all the other Koren articles and it got buried immediately because every may have thought it was just a rehash of what was there before. I just deleated the article.
    So how do you pick and choose which article may deserve a seperate post.
    For instance, suppose Wilf gives Brad a raise. I think that's big news, but according to your idea it should be buried in some old article about Brad Johnson.
    It was not buried and the thread was already discussing contract issues, hence your thread about contract issues went in with that one.
    It sis not buried, people who are interested in that topic will read it.

Some old article?
    I think you need to go back and read what I posted.
    Who said anything about "old"?
    Not me.
    I believe I wrote: "If you find an article that is about a topic or player that is recent (week or so) add it to that topic."
    If that comes up it is worthy of its own thread.

We have been really lax as it is with articles.
    If you read rule #11 from the Forum Rules you will see:

11. Please do not post an entire article. Instead, post the first three or so sentences, and then include a link to that article. The reason is simply because of copyright issues.

I'm still confused so I guess the best thing to do is not post articles from my end!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm still confused so I guess the best thing to do is not post articles from my end!
    Did I specifically mention you?

No, I did not.
    You can take it any way you want to.
    I am just trying to promote what attracts people to PP.O.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I'm with you Ultra!
    I don't think it's that hard or too much to ask for people to just post articles in existing threads.
    I like reading articles too but I find out half of my information from the great football minds that frequent this site, not just the articles.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast