Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attitude

Del Rio Guest

Attitude

Things are shaping up nicely for the Vikings. Defensively they have been making small steps towards improving mentally all year. I noticed a few things that are small, but telling signs that this team is gelling, and headed in the right direction.

Some people may have been offended by it, but it made me smile. Lance Johnstone pushes Tiki Barber, knocking him over. He was in the face of a relatively no name on our team. That's pretty big. Tiki is well respected, we were playing in their house, and Lance basically said, "I don't care who you are, nobody messes with my teamates or me" Of course you don't want your players doing that all the time, but considering our recent performances I think it is a good sign.

Napoleon Harris made a good hit on Shockey after a catch, hurt his collerbone. The next play he gets knocked down by Harris, and Shockey slaps him on the helmet. Nothing major except the fact that Shockey wasn't in the game, and respect was earned at some point in the game for the Vikings D.

Physical, just the way it should be. Hitting, holding, punching. You had good players who don't get much rep D. Scott for example, flat out tearing it up, laying hits on Eli causing grief........

It was attitude and that is something they will build off of. Seeing that is even better then the victory for me. Gaining some idenity. The offense is trying to find some. It isn't pretty but it is something. They will find that idenity before the playoffs, if we can stay healthy I think you will see a fantastic run.

Oh and Zim the words that I marked for you in my sig are obsolete now. The Vikes have exceeded your minimalistic outlook and so it's going bye bye. A clean slate for someone elses words :grin:

This is a good team. Better then most think. Growing, playing, and fighting together. If the players can sustain it the sky is the limit.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Attitude

Del:
    Fantastic post! I always like your stuff because you aren't a "rah-rah" purple glass wearer, but see things realistically. I love the Vikes but I look at them the way you do -- with hopes that this team gels and wins the division but with some trepidation.
    The real thing I fear is coaches game planning. I think this has always been a weakness for the Vikes. But I have to admit they did one heck of a job against the Giants on the defense.
    I said before, offensively this is now a dink and dunk team made for the shorter and quicker passing plays unlike under Culpepper. If the offensive line can get it going like they did against Detroit and the running game starts to click then the longs passes will come. In the meantime I think they need to do more "spot passing." I saw that click well a couple of times against the Giants.
    All-in-all, I agree with your assessment 100%.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

i completely agree del, i do have to say you have probably the most football knowledge on the site.

i also noticed the fight, the attitude that we have lacked this year. and we really seemed like the team that we were expecting all of the offseason.

Go vikes!!

ncviking is offline Training Camp

I think that attitude began with the D-Line. When you create significant pressure with your front four, LB's and DB's can double and triple team. I saw some great stunts, batted down balls, and pressure with a lot less blitzing allowing tighter coverage. Whe we did blitz, it got picked up and we were burned.

Del Rio Guest

Nothing sparks it, it is just born of hard work and dedication.

The line feeds off the DB/LB just as much as they feed off the line. If the DB's were playing soft then the line wouldn't of had time to get to the ball. That is usually the problem with the Vikings is that the DB's are giving up too much space and the opponents just hit the 5-9 yard routes.

The coverage was aggressive, and it was good. That allowed the front four time to get to the QB. That's why I love this sport nothing can be isolated it is an ultimate team game relying on each other to succeed.

I did notice a few stunts and I'm sitting there thinking why now? Not that I was complaining but what happened in Ted's head that made him do that when he has neglected the stunt for two years? I hope it is here to stay.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

This defense is getting better week bye week. You can see it in attitude and play.Alot of people (including myself) jumped the gun on the defense and where exspecting the 2000 ravens D at the beginning of the season. As the season progresses you can see this unit playing as one and not making the mental mistakes. You can see them playing rough and smart.I think our coaches really looked at where we went wrong with our past road game losses and went from there. Double 17, doubled shockey and kept them one deminsional.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Del:
    Fantastic post! I always like your stuff because you aren't a "rah-rah" purple glass wearer, but see things realistically. I love the Vikes but I look at them the way you do -- with hopes that this team gels and wins the division but with some trepidation.
    The real thing I fear is coaches game planning. I think this has always been a weakness for the Vikes. But I have to admit they did one heck of a job against the Giants on the defense.
    I said before, offensively this is now a dink and dunk team made for the shorter and quicker passing plays unlike under Culpepper. If the offensive line can get it going like they did against Detroit and the running game starts to click then the longs passes will come. In the meantime I think they need to do more "spot passing." I saw that click well a couple of times against the Giants.
    All-in-all, I agree with your assessment 100%.
    I for one, thought it was a crappy post. :lol:

Just kidding, I agree with you Del.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Good post Del Rio.

The attitude change coincides with the change at the QB position. Brad may not be as athletic as Culpepper, but he gives the team better leadership and changes the game plan to one of ball control instead of on the fly scrambling back lot football.

Let's go Vikings!!!

:lol:
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Del Rio Guest

I know your stance on the Culpepper debate. I am not sold on the idea that we would not have reached the same outcome with him at the helm.

Attitude wise that is.

Either way it is here and once you get it, it's hard to lose it.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

I guess that I'm more convinced than you Del Rio. It's just my opinion that Culpepper, on the field and off, always looked and acted like he was on Xanax. No heart or fire.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast