Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63
  1. #41
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099492
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099490
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099468
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099340
    Great post and pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    He sure seems to be a nice breath of fresh air my friend. Got him steadily climbing some spreadsheets.
    LOL. Somehow I knew you would :laugh:
    Isn't "climbing spreadsheets" code for "Agrees with Marrdro"?

    Poor kid...

    Caine
    You have climbed almost all of them and if the truth be told, you and I are almost 180 out on almost every topic.

    Nope, to climb a speadsheet, one must be able to do nothing more than keep a good football discussion going regardless of ones stance.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #42
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099538
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099492
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099490
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099468
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099340
    Great post and pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    He sure seems to be a nice breath of fresh air my friend. Got him steadily climbing some spreadsheets.
    LOL. Somehow I knew you would :laugh:
    Isn't "climbing spreadsheets" code for "Agrees with Marrdro"?

    Poor kid...

    Caine
    You have climbed almost all of them and if the truth be told, you and I are almost 180 out on almost every topic.

    Nope, to climb a speadsheet, one must be able to do nothing more than keep a good football discussion going regardless of ones stance.
    I disagree

  3. #43
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099539
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099538
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099492
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099490
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099468
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099340
    Great post and pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    He sure seems to be a nice breath of fresh air my friend. Got him steadily climbing some spreadsheets.
    LOL. Somehow I knew you would :laugh:
    Isn't "climbing spreadsheets" code for "Agrees with Marrdro"?

    Poor kid...

    Caine
    You have climbed almost all of them and if the truth be told, you and I are almost 180 out on almost every topic.

    Nope, to climb a speadsheet, one must be able to do nothing more than keep a good football discussion going regardless of ones stance.
    I disagree
    LOL to this whole discussion. We may not always agree on things but at least we all keep a sense of humor through it all.

  4. #44
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099564
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099539
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099538
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099492
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099490
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099468
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099340
    Great post and pretty much hits the nail on the head.
    He sure seems to be a nice breath of fresh air my friend. Got him steadily climbing some spreadsheets.
    LOL. Somehow I knew you would :laugh:
    Isn't "climbing spreadsheets" code for "Agrees with Marrdro"?

    Poor kid...

    Caine
    You have climbed almost all of them and if the truth be told, you and I are almost 180 out on almost every topic.

    Nope, to climb a speadsheet, one must be able to do nothing more than keep a good football discussion going regardless of ones stance.
    I disagree
    LOL to this whole discussion. We may not always agree on things but at least we all keep a sense of humor through it all.
    Aint PPO grand.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #45
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Dawson Devitt of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution considers whether soon-to-be UFA Ray Edwards would be a good fit for the Falcons. The main point against Edwards according to Devitt: Ray played on the same line with 3 Pro-Bowlers and still never managed double-digit sacks in any one season. The main point in Edwards’ favor: His physical gifts. And the fact that he would be lining up opposite Pro Bowler John Abraham, theoretically helping him to produce big numbers (cause that theory proved so true when Ray was lining up across from Jared Allen).
    Ray Edwards to the Falcons?
    I still marvel that the only thing most people use to measure a DE is the Sack Stat.

    It was refreshing to read an article that talked about DE's not making it into Canton just on sack totals alone. Maybe the fans (and the author) will realize that the sack is cool, but it is only one part of the DE's job.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #46
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099581
    Dawson Devitt of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution considers whether soon-to-be UFA Ray Edwards would be a good fit for the Falcons. The main point against Edwards according to Devitt: Ray played on the same line with 3 Pro-Bowlers and still never managed double-digit sacks in any one season. The main point in Edwards’ favor: His physical gifts. And the fact that he would be lining up opposite Pro Bowler John Abraham, theoretically helping him to produce big numbers (cause that theory proved so true when Ray was lining up across from Jared Allen).
    Ray Edwards to the Falcons?
    I still marvel that the only thing most people use to measure a DE is the Sack Stat.

    It was refreshing to read an article that talked about DE's not making it into Canton just on sack totals alone. Maybe the fans (and the author) will realize that the sack is cool, but it is only one part of the DE's job.
    I agree it shouldn't always be measured by sack stats. I can't argue with that because it isn't the entire picture. All of those other stats you provide with pressures, hurries, knock downs, etc... should all be considered. At the same time the fact he did play next to 3 probowlers should be considered as well. Yes he does have the physical tools. Yes he is a decent player. What's left to be determined is can he take on the pressure of being the main guy? You a couple of others seem to think so. I and others don't think so.

    At this time it's all speculation until it happens. We an only judge based upon what we see. Stats are not everything and my pioint with Ray is he should be able to have more sacks based on the fact he has played next to 3 pro bowl calibur DL that normally take on more of the load. The pressures, hurries and knoock downs would be better calculated by how much time elapses prior to the QB throwing the ball. Just becaue he gets those stats doesn't mean it was due because he was in the QBs face quickly.

  7. #47
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Here is a pretty article on Ray Edwards. I have to say I like how the authro looked at both sides of Ray Edwards. Pretty fair assessments if you ask me.

    http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fans/2011/06/26/should-the-falcons-sign-de-ray-edwards/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_fans

  8. #48
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099600
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099581
    Dawson Devitt of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution considers whether soon-to-be UFA Ray Edwards would be a good fit for the Falcons. The main point against Edwards according to Devitt: Ray played on the same line with 3 Pro-Bowlers and still never managed double-digit sacks in any one season. The main point in Edwards’ favor: His physical gifts. And the fact that he would be lining up opposite Pro Bowler John Abraham, theoretically helping him to produce big numbers (cause that theory proved so true when Ray was lining up across from Jared Allen).
    Ray Edwards to the Falcons?
    I still marvel that the only thing most people use to measure a DE is the Sack Stat.

    It was refreshing to read an article that talked about DE's not making it into Canton just on sack totals alone. Maybe the fans (and the author) will realize that the sack is cool, but it is only one part of the DE's job.
    I agree it shouldn't always be measured by sack stats. I can't argue with that because it isn't the entire picture. All of those other stats you provide with pressures, hurries, knock downs, etc... should all be considered. At the same time the fact he did play next to 3 probowlers should be considered as well. Yes he does have the physical tools. Yes he is a decent player. What's left to be determined is can he take on the pressure of being the main guy? You a couple of others seem to think so. I and others don't think so.

    At this time it's all speculation until it happens. We an only judge based upon what we see. Stats are not everything and my pioint with Ray is he should be able to have more sacks based on the fact he has played next to 3 pro bowl calibur DL that normally take on more of the load. The pressures, hurries and knoock downs would be better calculated by how much time elapses prior to the QB throwing the ball. Just becaue he gets those stats doesn't mean it was due because he was in the QBs face quickly.
    A damn fine post. Just one followon discussion point/comment.

    I am not so sure I agree with you when you say that I think he is ready to be the main guy. Remember, my feelings on Ray are more along the lines of I don't think the staff is going to pay him/retain him, because of his ability to make it through a long term contract (and the money that comes with it) at LDE.

    I for one am willing to move on to Griff at LDE this year, because he is in fact a true LDE and not a RDE beefed up to play the spot.

    Additionally, you will find comments from me saying that if I were a team that were to invest big money in him, I would make him slim back down 8lbs or so and move him back to RDE.

    All the stuff that follows from that is amplifying discussions from people who say things like 8lbs isn't that much or he played LDE in college.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #49
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099604
    Here is a pretty article on Ray Edwards. I have to say I like how the authro looked at both sides of Ray Edwards. Pretty fair assessments if you ask me.

    http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fans/2011/06/26/should-the-falcons-sign-de-ray-edwards/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_fans
    Your correct that was a damn fine article. As always, a couple of comments though.....

    a. The benchmark is still the sack totals. I would like it if one of these authors would for once, discuss the difference between a RDE and a LDE when it comes to their first, second and third read/react responsibilitites.

    That and that alone would account for some of the differences between how many times a RDE gets to the QB before a LDE does.

    b. I like the authors point about the RDE getting there first, in most cases. To tell the truth, he almost gets into my request in item a) above.

    c. Two Free Agent DE's that most contend are the top two in this years class.....
    Charles Johnson.....Games/48 Comb/114 Total/89 Asst/25 Sack.21.5
    Ray Edwards.........Games/72 Comb/182 Total/139 Asst/43 Sack/29.5

    Something to think about when you are wondering why in the hell other teams are looking at Ray.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #50
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099611
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099604
    Here is a pretty article on Ray Edwards. I have to say I like how the authro looked at both sides of Ray Edwards. Pretty fair assessments if you ask me.

    http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fans/2011/06/26/should-the-falcons-sign-de-ray-edwards/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_fans
    Your correct that was a damn fine article. As always, a couple of comments though.....

    a. The benchmark is still the sack totals. I would like it if one of these authors would for once, discuss the difference between a RDE and a LDE when it comes to their first, second and third read/react responsibilitites.
    The issue is, most writers do not know exactly what their first, second and third responsibilities are. You do not know what they are, I do not know what they are. You can guess based on what you may have done in high school, what you may have read, etc. but different schemes call different plays that call for different assignments. It's foolish to believe on every single play, the LDE is first supposed to contain the run, second supposed to contain the edge then lastly rush the passer, wheras the RDE is different. It differs based on different situation and playcalls.

    That and that alone would account for some of the differences between how many times a RDE gets to the QB before a LDE does.
    But I thought the LDE had to always withstand the beating received by lining up vs a TE and OT. One would think that would slow him down... unless that was just another excuse to try and explain one of your opinions.

    b. I like the authors point about the RDE getting there first, in most cases. To tell the truth, he almost gets into my request in item a) above.
    Could also have something to do with the fact that teams often put the best pass rusher in the RDE spot because that's usually the QB's blind side. Nah, couldn't have anything to do with that, LDE's aren't supposed to pass rush, that's the reason.

    c. Two Free Agent DE's that most contend are the top two in this years class.....
    Charles Johnson.....Games/48 Comb/114 Total/89 Asst/25 Sack.21.5
    Ray Edwards.........Games/72 Comb/182 Total/139 Asst/43 Sack/29.5

    Something to think about when you are wondering why in the hell other teams are looking at Ray.
    I'm curious where you got the idea that nobody here thinks other teams want Ray.

    They quite obviously do. More than we do probably.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ex-Falcon Jenkins key to passing offense
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM
  2. Edwards Not Going To Atlanta ?
    By jargomcfargo in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 11:28 PM
  3. Jamal Anderson Is Falcon Drunk
    By Vikes in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM
  4. Horn A Falcon
    By WinonaVike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
  5. Falcon Fan Returning
    By daredevil25 in forum Weekly Opponent Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 03:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •