Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Knight of God is offline Waterboy

Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

Hello Vikings fans! Just want to say that as a guest in your house, I'm interested in your honest opinions on Ray Edwards.

The word is that he may be signed to us and as a guy who watches the games I don't really see him doing much at all, but since you are all more knowledgeable about him than I am could you shed some light on who we are getting.

I have heard that he talks a bigger game and most fans of the Vikings that I know of aren't crying a tear that he is going away.

From the standpoint of true fans who love the team, what is the general outlook on him as the starting LE out here?

Thanks in advance.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Atlanta Falcon Fan: Question About Ray Edwards

Well, if he still has a tender tied to him when the CBA ends we will appreciate the pick we get from you.

He is a good bit player but to be honest after what you guys gave up for Jones there is no way I would burn another pick to get him when you could get a player with more potential with the pick you burned or for less if you went with a UFA.

I personally think he is burning his bridge here but that bridge was built with matches s it might be for the best.

If we end up re signing him it won't break my heart but this is one position that I feel we have the depth to be able to let him walk.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He's definitely a good player. Good rusher, decent vs. the run, but you are right in that he talks a bigger game than he plays.

If he gets his paycheck, he'll be happy. If not, expect nothing but hot air coming from him.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with the first two responses.

Ray has been a decent player while here...although maybe not as good as HE thinks he's been. He has been an important - but not irreplaceable - part of our D-line's successes. He also disappeared like the rest of them when we weren't successful.

In short he a solid player, but not a spectacular one. If you sign him to big money with the expectation that he'll turn the league on it's ear, I think you'll be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you can sign him to a moderate value contract and plan on him being a solid part of your Defense, that's what you'll get...

...until he decides he's worth more and starts talking about taking up boxing again.

Caine

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Huge Ray Edwards Thread

Feel free to skim over parts of this on what most people here think about Ray Edwards. I have never liked him and won't care when he leaves. Yes he's a decent player but he is not even close to how he actually views himself. He's a slightly above average DE who think's he's the best.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I'll second (4th?) everything that's been said about Ray so far.

Decent player who thinks he's great. Has a big mouth and might be a distraction if he's not perfectly happy.

Barely won his recent boxing match against a much smaller opponent.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Ray.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with everything that has been said here thus far. We have had several debates on this issue here on purplepride. Some people think he's great because of the amount of "pressures" he gets. To me that is a statistic that could have several variables.

In my opinion he is the 4th best on a line of 4 DLs. Not that he's a bad player because he's certainly not. He is solid. His problem is his mouth and narcissism to where he thinks he is much better than what he is.

If the Falcons or any other team for that matter take him and give us a decent draft pick I would be happy as a pig rolling in dung. If he stays and shuts his mouth I would be just as happy. If he stays and continues his belittling of the Viking organization I will continue to talk smack about him.

When all is said and done he will play solid DE but he wants more money than he's worth and quite honestly the tag that is on him is more than he's worth. He is all about the money.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Welcome KoG, to add to replies posed so far. Yes he is a good DE, not outstanding but good, The problem he has is that he is looking for the kind of $$$ that you'd expect to pay for an elite DE, Edwards is not an elite DE but any stretch of the imagination ( apart from his ).
    If you sign him then you will get a reasonable DE but I don't think you'll be getting value for money. In addition it may well cost you a draft pick that would be better used elsewhere.
    If he stays with us for reasonable money then I'm ok with that but if we lose hime then I won't despair about the fact.
    Bottom line - buyer beware and make sure you get value for money.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

NOTE: To be FAIR, Ray has never stated how much he wants...only that he wants to be paid more than his back up (Which is both fair and deserved). The problem lies in the fact that this is the second consecutive year he's made noise about wanting more money, and the IMPRESSION he's given is that he wants a LOT of money.

Also, he's made a lot of comments about not wanting to play here, both this year and last, for "less than he's worth", which has really set a lot of people off against him (Myself included).

Again, Ray is a solid player. He's one of the better LDE's in the game. But he's not proven himself to be an Elite player, and from how he's talked - and based upon who his agent is - many of us expect that he will price himself out of Minnesota.

Caine

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Ray sucks and now you know why we gave Robison an extension first.

And he is always a distraction in practice, I listen to Mike Morris on the powertrip every morning and he says over and over whenever a problem or fight takes place in practice Ray is always involved.

Sure he can stop the run but nothing else, would he ever get a sack if we didnt have Allen on the other side or KWill in the middle? probably not.

But I hope to god he is a RFA this season and you guys take him off our hands becasue we could use a extra first round pick.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast