Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yes. And he wasn't a top 5 pick. I am all for taking a T at the 10 spot or farther back in the first and agree I don't want to try a 6th rounder although I believe we already have either a 6 or 7th round Tackle on the team.

    BTW. Unless he re did his contract he is in the final year of his and he is slated to have a big enough cap number the Packers were looking to restructure or release him. If he was released they would then go with Newhouse correct?

    Or would they make a trade with the Vikings and move up to get the guy who can protect Rodgers blind side for the next 10 years? Seems from the posts i see on Kalil it would be a wise thing for them to do.
    They could trade up to grab him, but I don't think they will. I can't say for certainty, but I believe Thompson has been more apt to trade down, then to trade up. However, their last 3 first round draft picks have all been tackles.

    The one thing GB has that we lack is good quality OL coach(es).

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #32
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Probably because he is a back up. Their regular LT is Pro Bowler Chad Clifton who got injured last year. Clifton repeatedly has held his own against elite passer rushers like Jared Allen one on one.

    Newhouse is not being talked about as being elite, well, because he isn't. In fact he ranks in the top 10 list for most sacks given up by an offensive lineman. He only played at LT for the 10 games that Clifton missed due to injury.

    FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under Pressure: Who's Getting Beat?
    What no Vikings on this list, I thought Johnson would be at the top followed by Sully and it would be rounded out with Load tagging a long for the ride cause from what I've heard we have the worst line in the league

  3. #33
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Bingo!

    Which is why I stand by my assertion that if a LT is the best you can get at that spot and if there is no QB at that spot to make the team better we are better trading back and taking what extra picks we can get.
    If Spielman has a willing partner, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go that route. I'm not sure how much teams are willing to give up though to get in this spot. Blackmon, Claiborne, Kalil or Tannehill just don't seem worth giving up what it would take to move up to #3.

  4. #34
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If Spielman has a willing partner, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go that route. I'm not sure how much teams are willing to give up though to get in this spot. Blackmon, Claiborne, Kalil or Tannehill just don't seem worth giving up what it would take to move up to #3.
    Blackmon or Tannehill could generate the interest. I agree that you dont move up for a LT or a CB in a CB rich draft.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #35
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    What no Vikings on this list, I thought Johnson would be at the top followed by Sully and it would be rounded out with Load tagging a long for the ride cause from what I've heard we have the worst line in the league
    Probably because Ponder has good legs & the list doesn't include how many times our QB's were flushed out of the pocket or how many times our rushers were nailed for a loss/no gain.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-29-2012 at 06:00 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #36
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    What no Vikings on this list, I thought Johnson would be at the top followed by Sully and it would be rounded out with Load tagging a long for the ride cause from what I've heard we have the worst line in the league


    Where was Charlie Johnson on that list?

  7. #37
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,734
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Probably because Ponder has good legs & the list doesn't include how many times our QB's were flushed out of the pocket orhow many times our rushers were nailed for a loss/no gain.
    This article was written Nov 11 so with only 3 starts not sure Ponder's legs factured in that much at that time.

    Now for rushes for a loss the league does track that and the Vikes had 53 of them which was quite high, a loss roughly every 8.5 attempts, which is roughly where the niners, titans, bears are, with only the bears, eagles and falcons being lower. This isn't so good and when you roll in the Vikings are one of the better teams when running to the right it shows how things have slide on the left side of the line.

    Went and checked these numbers over the last few years and in 2009 the Vikings had 51 neg rushing plays 1 for every 9 attempts and in 2010 they had 104 one for every 3.8 attempts.....so I guess the line looks like it improved last year

    also by adding the 2009 stats I've managed to get something on topic with the year
    Last edited by vikinggreg; 03-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.

  8. #38
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    This article was written Nov 11 so with only 3 starts not sure Ponder's legs factured in that much at that time.

    Now for rushes for a loss the league does track that and the Vikes had 53 of them which was quite high, a loss roughly every 8.5 attempts, which is roughly where the niners, titans, bears are, with only the bears, eagles and falcons being lower. This isn't so good and when you roll in the Vikings are one of the better teams when running to the right it shows how things have slide on the left side of the line.

    Went and checked these numbers over the last few years and in 2009 the Vikings had 51 neg rushing plays 1 for every 9 attempts and in 2010 they had 104 one for every 3.8 attempts.....so I guess the line looks like it improved last year

    also by adding the 2009 stats I've managed to get something on topic with the year
    Well then, Ponder's/McNabb's. My point is regardless of who was QB'ing, the pocket collapsed quickly far too often. McNabb would have been more likely to throw the ball into the turf rather than run when the pocket collapsed.

    The Nov. 11th date might also be the reason that no Vikings are on the list. 24 of Ponder's 30 sacks came after that article. Additionally Webb was sacked 3 times.

    Ex-Viking McKinnie however, is on that list which is only one of the reasons I'm happy he is gone.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •