Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    And I disagree. I think a dominant left tackle does make the team better.
    McKinnie was a bust, so that is a bad example.(although he still held the starter spot for a decade). Had he been the Elite LT we thought we were getting we might just have won the Superbowl(fewer hits on Favre).
    Where did I say he wouldn't make the team better? All I contend is there are other positions that high in the draft that I would look to to make a higher impact.

If it were up to me we would trade back and get a guy like martin and then use the extra picks we get for the 3 spot and trade back up to get DeCastro. But I am sure you are going to tell me that Kalil and whatever guy we put next to him is going to be light years better than a martin/DeCastro left dies of the line because they weren't picked in the top 3 correct?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But I can also look back and see that teams are winning Super Bowls overwhelmingly with LT's that they got from the end of the first round and into the later rounds. So I know that it is possible to win a championship without a top 5 LT.
    That argument could be made about any position, other than QB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    That argument could be made about any position, other than QB.
    Bingo!

Which is why I stand by my assertion that if a LT is the best you can get at that spot and if there is no QB at that spot to make the team better we are better trading back and taking what extra picks we can get.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

The PROBLEM was Childress' inability to acquire and/or develop a worthwhile QB. An issue I was stomping on for YEARS.

Caine
    What!? No love for John David Booty? LOL!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Fact is, you need a QB first and foremost. Or, you need a completely dominant Defense, but most successful teams go after a QB.

Caine
    And we have neither of those.

Someone said that you need a LT once, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Well, we had McKinnie for years...didn't help us out.

Caine
    McKinnie was a slow lazy fuck who took to long getting his fat ass out of his 3 point stance. Thus his main contribution was solely at run blocking.

I for one thing you need a quality LT, but hate the "big, bookend" approach we've been taking at tackle. Being to big & too slow is also the reason I'm not a big fan of Loadholt.

I'd rather have enough speed at the ends that they can prevent speedy pass rushers from getting by them.

Not saying that the LT has to come in the first round of the draft, but I don't want a 6th round, walk-on or a FA that's left on the market one week before the start of the season either.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-28-2012 at 06:28 AM.

I think his point is - and I agree with it - that LT appears to be an over rated position.

Look at Green Bay. Their Left Tackle was Newhouse...no one has been talking about him being "Elite".

Caine
    Probably because he is a back up. Their regular LT is Pro Bowler Chad Clifton who got injured last year. Clifton repeatedly has held his own against elite passer rushers like Jared Allen one on one.

Newhouse is not being talked about as being elite, well, because he isn't. In fact he ranks in the top 10 list for most sacks given up by an offensive lineman. He only played at LT for the 10 games that Clifton missed due to injury.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under Pressure: Who's Getting Beat?

Blog Entries
    Yes. And he wasn't a top 5 pick. I am all for taking a T at the 10 spot or farther back in the first and agree I don't want to try a 6th rounder although I believe we already have either a 6 or 7th round Tackle on the team.

BTW. Unless he re did his contract he is in the final year of his and he is slated to have a big enough cap number the Packers were looking to restructure or release him. If he was released they would then go with Newhouse correct?

Or would they make a trade with the Vikings and move up to get the guy who can protect Rodgers blind side for the next 10 years? Seems from the posts i see on Kalil it would be a wise thing for them to do.

Favre did what he was brought in to do. He made a crappy Offense into a weapon, then was failed by his O-Line and the Officials in the Saints game. Favre failed himself, and us, by avoiding camp in '10...but I again put that on Childress who ALLOWED it, yet refused to address the condition which placed him at Favre's mercy.

Caine
    The OL & the officials weren't the only ones to blame in that game. Lets not exclude Favre from that blame as well. His 3 turnovers, two INT's & a fumble, were to blame as well.

Neither the OL nor officiating made Favre make the rookie mistake of throwing an across the body throw into traffic which was intercepted.

Finally, a solid line. Nothing spectacular...just a solid one. Of course, a good QB and a good RB make a line look better....

Caine
    They can make a line look better, but it's not always the case. How good did our OL look in 2010 with both Favre & AD?

In the same retrospect, a good OL can make a QB look better than what he is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast