gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

The art and science of trash-talking

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=theartandscienceoftrasht&prov=tsn&type=l gns

The art and science of trash-talking

By Katie Koss - SportingNews

Earlier this season, we asked wide receivers which defensive back was the biggest trash-talker. Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot was the runaway choice, receiving 25 of the 47 votes. No other defensive back had more than four.

"He talks from the opening kickoff until the final gun," an AFC wideout says. "Even in warmups, he's talking. He picks his battles, but he knows who to talk trash with. He can wear you down just with his mouth."

But Smoot doesn't talk aimlessly -- he has a plan. In fact, he provided a first-person primer on the sweet science of verbal warfare.

Do's

1. Always study your opponent. Find out their weaknesses and their strengths. Then you need to find out some dirt. And when I say dirt, it's dirt. The NFL is like a big fraternity. I might be here (in Minnesota), but Ellis Wyms, we went to college together, and now he's playing for Tampa Bay. Me and Dwight Smith, we went to the awards banquet in college together; now he plays for the Saints. So I can call these guys up when I want to know something about Joe Horn or Michael Clayton. All defensive players are on each other's side.

2. Work on delivery. Watch a lot of BET's Comic View and a lot of Dave Chappelle. You've got to have a delivery, and it's got to be natural. If that's not your personality, you can't trash-talk.

I've always been a talker. When I was real young, playing pee-wee ball, that's the way I used to get comfortable in the game. I haven't worn a mouthpiece since I was in junior high school because I couldn't talk with it in.

3. Press the advantage. I can tell by small things that I've gotten inside a guy's head. That's when I start really spitting in your face, so you might need a towel to wipe it. Now I start to go to your sideline and tell your coaches, "You better put somebody else in the game -- I've got him."

Don'ts

1. Avoid making it too personal. Don't do anything that ever truly hits home. Something that's true to the heart . . . you don't go there. You don't want to be a heathen. It's all in fun, you know, love and war.

2. Silence is not an option. If you give up a play, you cannot stop talking trash. You can't let him shut you up because he made one play on you. It's going to happen. If you're going to be a talker, you must be a talker at all times.

3. Stop the noise -- if you suck. You've got to be able to go out there and handle your business. If you cannot play the game, you cannot really talk. There's nothing for you to talk about, actually.
    We're bringing purple back.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The art and science of trash-talking

3. Stop the noise -- if you suck. You've got to be able to go out there and handle your business. If you cannot play the game, you cannot really talk. There's nothing for you to talk about, actually.
    Wonder if he learned this lesson against Carolina? LOL
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Words to post by! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Articnv is offline Coach

Well the ways he bene playing he need to do the donts number 3 :P

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

He needs to just play some ball!