Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    That is usually an indicator of poor route running. That is, if the quarterback is any good.
    I would say if it's not so much poor passes, it's an indicator he can't catch worth a shit, regardless of how well he runs his route.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I would say if it's not so much poor passes, it's an indicator he can't catch worth a shit, regardless of how well he runs his route.
    He would have drops indicated. If he is not where he needs to be when he needs to be there, he could have Cris Carter hands of steel and still not make the catch. He may not have great hand skills either, but I see balls thrown his way that miss him far too often.

I wonder how many of Ponder's picks last season were from receivers running poor routes. Anyone have underground copies of game films on hand to evaluate? The television coverage is almost worthless for route watching.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    One more preseason game to get on track. It looks worse than it probably is as we don't get the coaches perspective, but he better step it up.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He would have drops indicated. If he is not where he needs to be when he needs to be there, he could have Cris Carter hands of steel and still not make the catch. He may not have great hand skills either, but I see balls thrown his way that miss him far too often.

I wonder how many of Ponder's picks last season were from receivers running poor routes. Anyone have underground copies of game films on hand to evaluate? The television coverage is almost worthless for route watching.

I hope you're not insinuating that Ponder's passes were dead accurate last year & it was the receivers fault for not being where the ball was. The ole, he zigged when he should have zagged type excuses.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I hope you're not insinuating that Ponder's passes were dead accurate last year & it was the receivers fault for not being where the ball was. The ole, he zigged when he should have zagged type excuses.
    Since we do not know the calls, it is hard to know who's fault it is on miscommunication plays like that. I suspect some were receivers' and some were Ponder's. If the Vikings ran read option routes, I would suspect even more miscommunication problems.

I have seen Ponder throw into an area with no receiver, and either the receiver did not run the route or Ponder got the wrong route in his head. If it was a read option, then there could have been different reads, but I have not heard that the Vikings are running those routes under Bill Musgrave.

I have seen Ponder throw into an area with no receiver, and either the receiver did not run the route or Ponder got the wrong route in his head. If it was a read option, then there could have been different reads, but I have not heard that the Vikings are running those routes under Bill Musgrave.
    Thinking about this, I could not see any NFL offense not have option routes or at least routes that require receivers to alter patterns based on the defensive placement.

With Brett Favre, Drew Brees, or Payton Manning, the work is done in the screening room, and receivers miss routes or drop balls on the field at there own risk.

If the Vikings are serious about winning, they will not accept wholesale imperfection in their passing game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12