RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Aren't we forgetting something?

We had a great game Sunday, even Chris Hovan came to play (we should bench him more often for motivation)

But why is it that a 37 year old cornerback has more picks than our entire secondary? What's going on? I don't understand how Williams/Winfield are being caught out of position so often. I am, in fact, beginning to think Winfield's timed-jumping skills are overrated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I think we are lacking pure athletic ability in the secondary. I can think of about three time this year where our guy had the coverage down pat but was unable to leap to put a hand on the ball.

It still comes down to getting more pressure and hurries on the QB.

Lacking pure athletic ability in the secondary? I have to disagree with that one.

Brian Williams and Antoine Winfield are both very athletic, strong corners. No, they don't get a lot of interceptions, but they are hard hitters and strong tacklers.

Corey Chavous and Brian Russell haven't done much yet, but they haven't really made any mistakes either.

I think they are playing off of recievers in order to not give up the big play. That is what I make out of our secondary so far, simply trying not to give up the big play, which we have done pretty well so far.

I think some INTs will come with time, our defense is going to need time to start playing better as a team. You also have to remember we had a completely different starting LB core this game.

Just be patient, it is only week 5 and we are 3-1. As long as the defense learns from its mistakes and progresses as a unit, we will be fine.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Pure athletic talent = likes of Champ, Woodson(charles), Deion (in prime) Do any of our corners compare to this?

I am talking upper tier players when I say pure talent.

Now for our players to be successful they need the help of their team mates adn the coaching scheme. They are not getting it yet but they willby the end of the season. I am not down on our palyers, I think they have been improving week by week.

skogs02 is offline Starter

winfield does not have many INT's in his career at all.Gotta remember he is real short.He's known for his pure ability to tackle.Been awhile since we had one of those

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Hovan had his strongest game in along time, (here it comes) but Steven Martin had a good game. With Hovan not seeing the field as much I thought that we had the best D line game of the year (by far).

Even tho Tice caved and started Hovan, I think this did motivate Chris!

Saw twice during the game when Martin drove the guard back into Carr in the pocket, Martin got 1 of his sacks that way.

If Hovan can build on this that is great, but we saw that the Vikes can play without him on the field for everyplay and I would like to see Martin stay in the base defense for awhile and see how this goes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Martin had some extra motivation himself playing against his old team!!!

Let's hope he bottled some of that motivation for the next game.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

He has 6 INT's in his career. I dont know what exactly is going on but i will tell you Atoine Winfield is a true CB. I seen some of the tackles and some of the adjustments he made on WR routes, hes really fast and explosive. He's jsut a unbalievable tackler. He saved a TD this week on a nice off balance tackle. 180 and he gets it done.

Brian Williams hasnt been quite as exposive as he was last year (for except the dallas game). He's very very srtong and an explosive tackler much like winfield. He's not as fast of a CB but put hiself in good position to defend the WR. In the game yesterday i found that most of our coverage was very good but carr started thowing like farve, everything he through was only where the WR could get to it. Williams probably has a little more hop then winfield i've seen him get off the ground.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Pure athletic talent = likes of Champ, Woodson(charles), Deion (in prime) Do any of our corners compare to this?
    Not many of those caliber come along that often, so your standards might be pretty high...name about 10 or so more that are playing now and I might think that measuring our CBs by that standard is realistic.

We missed out by one spot a few years back to get Chris McAllister (pretty good CB)...of course, if I remember correctly, with the next pick we got PEP, so it is not all bad.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE