Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: AP off the PUP

  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    AP off the PUP


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    I think this is a dumb move. Let him sit the 6 weeks and then run him out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think this is a dumb move. Let him sit the 6 weeks and then run him out.
    Of course you think this. You seem to think that Toby Gerhart is one of the best backs in the NFL though, so no loss really.

    Simple fact is, all of these people have jobs. The coaches, the offensive coordinator, the team doctor. They all need to do them well here.

    The doctor absolutely would not OK this if he was not comfortable that AD was ready. The coaches NEED this or they have no chance this season.

    AD is the best player on this team. With him the team has a much better shot at performing well than without him. It is that simple. If the doctors say that he is good to go, there is no reason not to get him out there.

    If he gets re-injured, it is NOT because he came back to soon. If the shit is ready, it is ready. If he gets re-injured it is because of bad luck and because often athletes who suffer this injury suffer it again, no matter how long they wait to come back.

    If the knee is ready to go, and the doctors have given him the OK, there is no logical reason in not moving forward with AD.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Of course you think this. You seem to think that Toby Gerhart is one of the best backs in the NFL though, so no loss really.
    Show me one place were I said he was one of the best backs.....

    Truth is, I said nothing of the sort. All I said is that I think he could start for several teams and do a good job doing it.

    Is he another AD? No, there probably won't be another AD for a long time. That's why its asinine to run him out early this year when everything tells them that it takes at least 2 years to heal from an injury like that.

    All this accomplishes is to get a stir going to get ticket sales up. Nothing more nothing less.

    Simple fact is, all of these people have jobs. The coaches, the offensive coordinator, the team doctor. They all need to do them well here.

    The doctor absolutely would not OK this if he was not comfortable that AD was ready. The coaches NEED this or they have no chance this season.
    You trust this staff to do whats right for the team now as well as for the future or do you think they are doing this just to keep their jobs now.

    AD is the best player on this team. With him the team has a much better shot at performing well than without him. It is that simple. If the doctors say that he is good to go, there is no reason not to get him out there.
    To what end? An extra win or two at the risk of not having him in 2 years when the team is finally ready to contend.

    Gimme a break Midg. As I said, this is nothing more that a ploy to up ticket sales and it puts AD at risk.

    Surprised you would think otherwise.

    If he gets re-injured, it is NOT because he came back to soon. If the shit is ready, it is ready. If he gets re-injured it is because of bad luck and because often athletes who suffer this injury suffer it again, no matter how long they wait to come back.

    If the knee is ready to go, and the doctors have given him the OK, there is no logical reason in not moving forward with AD.
    Again, everyone who has come back from this injury have marveled at how well AD has recovered, but everyone of them has said that he won't be 100% for two years.

    In the end, I sure hope your right. If it was me I'd rest him six more weeks, let Toby carried the load (as he has done in the past) and make sure that my future star was just that, my future star.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 08-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Show me one place were I said he was one of the best backs.....

    Truth is, I said nothing of the sort. All I said is that I think he could start for several teams and do a good job doing it.

    Is he another AD? No, there probably won't be another AD for a long time. That's why its asinine to run him out early this year when everything tells them that it takes at least 2 years to heal from an injury like that.

    All this accomplishes is to get a stir going to get ticket sales up. Nothing more nothing less.


    You trust this staff to do whats right for the team now as well as for the future or do you think they are doing this just to keep their jobs now.


    To what end? An extra win or two at the risk of not having him in 2 years when the team is finally ready to contend.

    Gimme a break Midg. As I said, this is nothing more that a ploy to up ticket sales and it puts AD at risk.

    Surprised you would think otherwise.


    Again, everyone who has come back from this injury have marveled at how well AD has recovered, but everyone of them has said that he won't be 100% for two years.

    In the end, I sure hope your right. If it was me I'd rest him six more weeks, let Toby carried the load (as he has done in the past) and make sure that my future star was just that, my future star.
    Agreed on all points, but I would add one more. Did you happen to catch this AD press conference today? He is one of the most ridiculously motivated guys on the planet. He's dying to play football again (this is why we all love him).

    So let's say the Vikes' staff decides that it's in the team's best interest to not let him rush back out, guns-blazing on to the field, but instead to take a couple more months as you suggest. Fast forward, and now it's Week 2 and you've got this ridiculously motivated guy sitting on the bench thinking, "I'm 26 years old. I've got, at best, 5 great years left in my NFL career, and I'm on this team--a team that won't even let me see the field!--that looks to be at least two to three years out before they're contending for a Super Bowl. Best case scenario, that leaves three years of my prime to actually contend for a ring, assuming everything else goes as planned. Meanwhile, my career rushing stats and TDs take a hit every minute I'm not on the field. Screw this! I'm demanding a trade and taking my talents to ________."

    If you're in the Vikings front office, this is your nightmare. Whatever you need to do to keep AD happy, you do it.
    Last edited by The Dropper; 08-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dropper View Post
    Agreed on all points, but I would add one more. Did you happen to catch this AD press conference today? He is one of the most ridiculously motivated guys on the planet. He's dying to play football again (this is why we all love him).

    So let's say the Vikes' staff decides that it's in the team's best interest to not let him rush back out, guns-blazing on to the field, but instead to take a couple more months as you suggest. Fast forward, and now it's Week 2 and you've got this ridiculously motivated guy sitting on the bench thinking, "I'm 26 years old. I've got, at best, 5 great years left in my NFL career, and I'm on this team--a team that won't even let me see the field!--that looks to be at least two to three years out before they're contending for a Super Bowl. Best case scenario, that leaves three years of my prime to actually contend for a ring, assuming everything else goes as planned. Meanwhile, my career rushing stats and TDs take a hit every minute I'm not on the field. Screw this! I'm demanding a trade and taking my talents to ________."

    If you're in the Vikings front office, this is your nightmare. Whatever you need to do to keep AD happy, you do it.
    That is when your coaching staff helps that motivated individual realize his role in the grand scheme of things......

    On a somewhat related note, did you catch this article...

    “I cracked my patella,” Rice said. “I feel that I rushed myself back to the football field. And I think that with Adrian Peterson, he’s doing the same thing. Because we are accustomed to being out there with the guys, sweating with the guys, fighting on the football field. And if you’re not able to do that you just don’t feel connected. And that’s the reason why I rushed back. I hope he doesn’t do the same thing.”
    “I thought I was invincible,” Rice said. “I felt I did all the work and it was time for me to get back on that football field. But if I had to do it all over again, I would take more time to heal up, then come back.”
    Jerry Rice: Adrian Peterson is rushing back too fast, like I did | ProFootballTalk

    Rice kindof sounds like the cat you describe above.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    That is when your coaching staff helps that motivated individual realize his role in the grand scheme of things......

    On a somewhat related note, did you catch this article...





    Jerry Rice: Adrian Peterson is rushing back too fast, like I did | ProFootballTalk

    Rice kindof sounds like the cat you describe above.
    Rice is a perfect example. The stories of him missing a single, inconsequential pass in practice and punishing himself by running routes for hours afterwards are the stuff of legend. "Motivation" might not even be the right word. Obsession probably comes closer.

    100% agree that the coaching staff should try to keep that obsession in check to do what's best for the team. Problem is, as I'm sure you know, imparting wisdom on young'ens is easier said than done!

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dropper View Post
    Rice is a perfect example. The stories of him missing a single, inconsequential pass in practice and punishing himself by running routes for hours afterwards are the stuff of legend. "Motivation" might not even be the right word. Obsession probably comes closer.

    100% agree that the coaching staff should try to keep that obsession in check to do what's best for the team. Problem is, as I'm sure you know, imparting wisdom on young'ens is easier said than done!
    It is what makes the great ones the greatest though. As you said, you don't want to dissuade AD from that desire to be the greatest.

    As I said, I think sitting an extra six weeks isn't out of the question and something that he could be sold on if the staff really wanted to.

    Instead, I fear all they are doing are trying to sell tickets.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,233
    Nobody says it takes two years to come back from these injuries. Hell, you sound like people who think Tommy John surgery still takes 2 years to come back from.

    That is all antiquated shit.

    The average ACL tear recovery timeline is now no more than 12 months. There are some special cases that are longer, but there are also plenty of cases out there that are 7-9 months. Hell, Philip Rivers played a GAME ON ONE ... and then did not miss any time the next season.

    It all depends on the athlete, the severity of the injury, some good or bad luck, setbacks, etc.

    Bottom line ... the doctors have said they are OK with him returning. He is OK with returning. There is absolutely no reason to just sit him out 6 weeks.

    Claiming that this is for ticket sales is absolutely ridiculous. Does it help there? Yes. But NONE of the doctors are telling them that he should be out for six weeks. It is just arm chair QBs like you saying that he isn't healthy yet and everyone who is paid to make these decisions have ulterior motives.

    I would agree that due to missing a shitload of time and getting back into shape, they should not be running the ball with him 25 times a game by season start. But putting him on PUP just for the fuck of it makes no sense either.

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think this is a dumb move. Let him sit the 6 weeks and then run him out.
    Well, duh. You think anything the Vikings' coaches - no matter WHO the coach is - is dumb. I, as usual, will defer to the trainer, doctor and other assorted people who actually know what's going on with him.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •