Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

anyone worried about our pass defense?

i know they have done pretty good as of recently but there were too many times the past few games where they would give up huge chunks of yardage through the air, esp on third downs where the defense needed to get off the field. when we face a good passing team, i could honestly see us giving up many huge plays and unable to get off the field.

this has especially been the problem for us the whole year, most notably when facing the packers. think when can get more aggressive and stop playing too many cover 2 zones that get picked apart whether or not we blitz?
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: anyone worried about our pass defense?

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    i know they have done pretty good as of recently but there were too many times the past few games where they would give up huge chunks of yardage through the air, esp on third downs where the defense needed to get off the field. when we face a good passing team, i could honestly see us giving up many huge plays and unable to get off the field.
    Well, NYG, and the Kittens were supposed to be good passing teams.. the Kittens went several times with No backfield.. None!!
    they are a pass first team.. we knew that and played against it. the funny part is..
    any team we face.. once they have given up on the run or only have 10 attempts in a 50attempt game.. you know we're gonna get yards racked up. It's the points that's the final determination on how we do as a passing situation D.

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    this has especially been the problem for us the whole year, most notably when facing the packers. think when can get more aggressive and stop playing too many cover 2 zones that get picked apart whether or not we blitz?
    it all starts up frong.. if you can get preassure without blitzing then your doing great. but by blitzing your opening those short slant, pocket routes. The blitz packages used are being disguised all the time. and I think it's starting to work. WE're getting more consistant preasure, and the cb's and safties are limiting those explosive plays dramaticly.

we're still gonna get more pass's attempted on us then anyone else. but.. that's what happens when you do the fundementals of football well, stop the run, and run the ball!!!

Great work D on an overall solid performance!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

The stats are skewed, we are thrown against more than any other team, so naturally there will be more completions and yards. I like the way we've been disguising our defenses lately, and the pressure has been turned up a couple degrees. We are coming together nicely for the stretch run to the playoffs.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

We are 10th in the league in points allowed per game... stats like Yards per game really don't mean squat...

The DLine has shown the ability to make a QB uncomfortable.
    They still aren't getting the sacks, but they are definitely forcing the issue.
    We've been without our best starting CB for the past 3 weeks.
    While I'm not thrilled with our Pass D, they are playing respectable football.

The GB game was simply a bad scheme.
    We tried something different and Favre beat it.
    He's a future Hall of Famer, he's going to do things like that occasionally.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The key to beating us is short quick passes with lots of YAC. The lions tried that early in the game and succeeded. Eventually it comes to the point where the QB has to take a 5 step drop on a 3rd and long in order to get the ball into the endzone after we stop a few of their short passes. That's when we really rattle QB's like Kitna and Manning. The giants gameplan was horrible with no WCO style routes and tons of 5 step drops for Manning.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Actually we started dropping linemen back in coverage to stop those short slants.
    Our linebackers have really stepped up in pass defense in those types of situations.
    If we can continue to get pressure without blitzes those slants won't be effective.
    Slants over the middle are best when the LBs are blitzing and the WR can slip behind them and have a ton of open room.

If you look at the GB games... in the first game Favre killed us with the quick slants.
    In the 2nd game we dropped linemen to stop those slants and we were very effective in doing that.
    Unfortunately, we got absolutely no pressure on Favre so he adjusted.
    Where as in the first game he was throwing all 4 - 6 yard passes over the middle, in the 2nd game he was throwing 12 - 18 yard passes because he had a lot of time.

Frazier is mixing things up nicely.
    We are not playing a lot of different formations, a lot of variety.
    I think we are beginning to see a "mature" defensive football team that can confuse opposing offenses.
    I'm curious to see how good they can be when Winfield comes back.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

What scares me about our D is that fact that we seem to have a problem with 3rd and long.

Sure, as BleedinPanG put out, we don't allow alot of points, they do stay on the field alot.
    Given time, a Vet QB and a good OL would/will eventually wear them down resulting in a loss.

We need to fix (although it looked better against the Lions) our DL and thier pass pressure if we are to have any hope in the playoffs (if we make it of course) as the QB's and Line play at that level is no were near the level of say the Giants, Lions and Chargers.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I think the pass defence is improving steadily, the last few games they have let the opposition have good early drives, usually resulting in points but after that they seem to steady up. Teams have moved downfield but our red zone defence of late has been admirable with some big plays, sacks and ints.
    Stil i think a good DB wud be a good off season mood, Asante Samuel form the Pats maybe a long shot but a free agent he is and doesnt look keen on more time at New England!
    by no means have i given up on them though and with the young improving offense - we can outscore most teams in this league! Bring on the play offs!

"A head coach needs 3 things. A good wife, a loyal dog and a helluva Quaterback!" John Gruden

patistheman is offline Starter

I am a little worried.
    We showed yesterday we can't stop the top WRs in the NFL.
    Roy Williams only played the first half and had 5 receptions for 85 yards.
    He is the strength of the Lions offense.
    While I do think we have improved guys like Roy Williams, Terrel Owens, Plaxico Burres(he is not healthy right now and had 7 catches for 93 yards and a TD against us), and the tandem of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver still scare me a little bit.
    When we show we can stop them I will feel more comfortable.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am much less worried now than I was four weeks ago.
    We are getting good pressure on the QB and making the stops when we need to.
    FYI, Detroit only scored one TD yesterday, remember.
    And they are supposed to have a pretty dangerous passing attack...

As far as Roy having a good first half before he went down... 43 of those 85 yards came off from one play.
    Big plays happen.
    Damn near every game.
    Keeping them to a minimum and not letting it destroy your momentum is the hallmark of a good team.
    After the bomb to Roy set up the Lions sole TD, we effectively put the nail in the coffin with Andre Allison's 103 yard kickoff return (longest play in team history BTW).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast