MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Anyone wondering who the best owner is?

This should clear that up for you.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/361128.html

In an interview Saturday, Wilf said he was prepared to subsidize short-term losses when he purchased the team in June. And while he acknowledged that a new stadium would reverse those losses, he insisted, "I bought this team with the intent of enjoying football."

He added: "We will continue to improve our team, and that certainly will take a toll on us financially. My primary goal, as I've always stated, is to stay competitive and do what's necessary to get to the championship. But it comes at a price. It's a sacrifice that we're willing to make."

"We've felt we've needed to spend the money to be competitive, and we did that," Wilf said. "We will continue to do that. We know it will continue to eat away at our profitability until we're able to get into a new stadium."

Great to have an owner that walks the walk. These are just some quotes I like but the article points out that the team had a financial loss in '05 and expects the same in '06. He has spent hand over fist improving this franchise from players' salaries, enlarging/improving the coaching, and the training facilities.

[color=red]

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Anyone wondering who the best owner is?

Ya need to click on the article and read the whole thing. This is a good piece on how committed Zygi is to this team and the people of Minnesota. Now, if the legislature would get their head out of their butt, they'd see a franchise that will match anything in the NFL.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

Yea. This is some good ammo to prove to the fans, and the the state that he is here for the team and willing to bring a SB to MN. I think that may have been why Red's "efforts" to bring a stadium to MN always got tossed, If you could call it and effort.

I know people own sports teams to make money. But If you are unwilling to spend the money to make your team compeditive why should we spend our hard earned money on the team. I was 100% against the public funding a stadium when Red owned the team. I hum a different tune with Ziggy at the helm. He wants to bring talent to the vikings and is willing to pay people to bring a championship here.

That is a team I can support with my money.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I've been saying this for a while: Wilf's forking over his cash (for both the team and the stadium). It's time to contribute ours, and get this done before stadiums get even more expensive to build (we could have built one for $250 million ten years ago).

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Prophet Guest

'nother take on the same article:

===========================================

VIKINGS LOSING MONEY, AND SPENDING IT
    Mike Florio

Kevin Seifert of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings lost $10 million in 2005, following three straight years of profit under former owner Red McCombs.

New owner Zygi Wilf, who ponied up $600 million for the franchise, has put out a cash call to his partners in order to cover expenses due to contracts signed in the waning months of the McComb era, a renovation project at team headquarters, and increases in player and coaching payrolls.

Wilf expects to lose money again in 2006.

"I bought this team with the intent of enjoying football," he said. (If that's the case, Zyg, we would have sold you our DirecTV hookup for only $595 million.)

"Revenue sharing will buffer us from further losses," Wilf said. "We're hoping that building a new stadium will allow us to become profitable. But right now, you really have to love your football. You have to love your football, because on the financial side it will become more and more difficult.

"We've felt we've needed to spend the money to be competitive, and we did that," Wilf said. "We will continue to do that. We know it will continue to eat away at our profitability until we're able to get into a new stadium."

And because the question of whether the team will get a new stadium in Minnesota is still up in the air, the fact that the organization is spending more money than it is earning will make the team a candidate to be the franchise that gets into a new stadium . . . in Los Angeles.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    'nother take on the same article:

===========================================

VIKINGS LOSING MONEY, AND SPENDING IT
    Mike Florio

Kevin Seifert of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings lost $10 million in 2005, following three straight years of profit under former owner Red McCombs.

New owner Zygi Wilf, who ponied up $600 million for the franchise, has put out a cash call to his partners in order to cover expenses due to contracts signed in the waning months of the McComb era, a renovation project at team headquarters, and increases in player and coaching payrolls.

Wilf expects to lose money again in 2006.

"I bought this team with the intent of enjoying football," he said. (If that's the case, Zyg, we would have sold you our DirecTV hookup for only $595 million.)

"Revenue sharing will buffer us from further losses," Wilf said. "We're hoping that building a new stadium will allow us to become profitable. But right now, you really have to love your football. You have to love your football, because on the financial side it will become more and more difficult.

And because the question of whether the team will get a new stadium in Minnesota is still up in the air, the fact that the organization is spending more money than it is earning will make the team a candidate to be the franchise that gets into a new stadium . . . in Los Angeles.
    Zygi never stops with his politics! I think that was a pretty well placed jab at the legislature there which said "Get us a new stadium, dumbasses!"

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Hmm hope Wifly doesn't run out of money before the season starts :tongue:

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

If you got the $$$ & want to win....you gotta spend it. Some owners (York in SF) have money, but will not spend, sooooo what do you have? The 2006 49er's!

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

This not only sends a message to the Minnesota legislature, but also to the state of Minnesota and all Vikings fans who live there.....if you wind up driving Wilf out of town because he can't afford a stadium all by himself, then Minnesota doesn't deserve to have the Vikings at all.

He's more than proven he's willing to shell out the bucks...Minnesota residents need to do the same and help the guy KEEP OUR TEAM!!!!!

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

hmmmm... *looks down* nope.