Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone watchig Carl Eller get into the HOF

"BigEasyViking" wrote:
    I watched the entire HOF induction today and it was very good. Eller really didn't talk too much about football, he talked more about how young Black people need to have dreams and become part of the schools and universities of this country instead of the prisons. He talked about how they need to have dreams and become part of the fix and less of the problem in this country as well. It was really heart felt for Eller, and I was very impressed. You could tell that he really has dedicated lots of time to helping underprivledged black kids and has worked very hard to let them know that they need to quit making excuses and make their ansestors proud. It was a very good speech. A bunch of people in the croud were crying. It goes to show that some football players think about many things other than football. Way to go Eller, you deserve it not only for being a great football player but for being a great person as well!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

ABSOLUTELY :thumbright: :wav: :thumbleft:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Barry's introduction speech from his father was definatley the low point of the day though. His dad seems like a total dick. he didn't have one good thing to say about Barry in the whole minute that he talked for while he was supposed to have a 3 minute speech. He even introduced him as the 3rd best running back ever! He may be the 3rd in the record books, but if he would have played for another year or two he would definately be the best. I do see where he was coming from but it just seemed pretty class less and was unlike any induction speech that I have ever seen. He gave all of the credit for Barry's success to the people in his family and none to Barry. I felt terrible for #20 and he doesn't deserve that, especially on a day that should have been one of the best days of his life. It was garbage.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

WOW that really doesn't sound right and is really hard to believe, Man That is low down for sure, NOT right either. and if berry ask him to speak his father really stabed him in the back, ther emust be something behind this story?
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

It wasn't like he stabbed him in the back it was like that was what Barry was used to. I am totally guessing here but I'll bet that is the way that he always treats him. You know, one of those tough love guys.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"BigEasyViking" wrote:
    I watched the entire HOF induction today and it was very good. Eller really didn't talk too much about football, he talked more about how young Black people need to have dreams and become part of the schools and universities of this country instead of the prisons. He talked about how they need to become part of the fix and less of the problem in this country as well. It was really heart felt for Eller, and I was very impressed. You could tell that he really has dedicated lots of time to helping underprivledged black kids and has worked very hard to let them know that they need to quit making excuses and make their ansestors proud. It was a very good speech. A bunch of people in the croud were crying. It goes to show that some football players think about many things other than football. Way to go Eller, you deserve it not only for being a great football player but for being a great person as well!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
    Thanx for saving me some time from watching the whole thing and listening to his speech. I would have thought his speech would have been about football and his family, much like elways.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Barry laughs so funny, he'd be like 'HEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHH' then go back to having a completely straight face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"BigEasyViking" wrote:
    Barry's introduction speech from his father was definatley the low point of the day though. His dad seems like a total dick. he didn't have one good thing to say about Barry in the whole minute that he talked for while he was supposed to have a 3 minute speech. He even introduced him as the 3rd best running back ever! He may be the 3rd in the record books, but if he would have played for another year or two he would definately be the best. I do see where he was coming from but it just seemed pretty class less and was unlike any induction speech that I have ever seen. He gave all of the credit for Barry's success to the people in his family and none to Barry. I felt terrible for #20 and he doesn't deserve that, especially on a day that should have been one of the best days of his life. It was garbage.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

When Barry retired his dad was asked in an interview if his son would play again and try to get the record for most rushing yards, he was just a dick and downplayed Barry, he said then that his son was the 3rd best back. It's almost like he is jealous that his son was that good, the guy really seems like a dick.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

My wife and I watched the first part of the ceremonies, which included Carl Eller's induction speech.

My wife was moved to tears throughout Carl's introduction speech by his son Regis. The speech focused much more on Carl as father, community leader, and passionate man than as football player.

Carl's speech challenged African-American young men to become a part of our American society, rather than separate themselves from it. He spoke of how the fight his generation fought to gain equality was not to see their children's lives revolve around gangs, drugs, violence, and killing each other. It was a passionate speech with an important message. A message that more blacks (as Bill Cosby has been doing lately) need to be making to lift their people out of the self-destructive lifestyle that perpetuates poverty, despair, crime, and violence. It was a fantastic speech that made me very proud to be a Vikings and Carl Eller fan. Yes, a football-laced speech would have been enjoyed as well, but Carl used this platform to express an important message in front of a national audience. The end result made the typical anecdotal and thank-you type speeches seem trite and insignficant. My wife also complemented Carl's speech, saying more athletes need to speaking about those types of topics, rather than focusing on sports alone.

The wife also commented about the video highlights that were shown of Carl before his induction. She said "That's what's wrong with your defense right there. That guy is mean! See him slamming those guys into the ground? That is what your defense ought to be doing!"
    SKOL VIKINGS!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"RK" wrote:
    It was great to see him get the recognition he deserves. I think Jim Marshall should be inducted soon. :thumbleft:
    Marshall will have a much harder time getting into the hall now. This year was his last chance to get into the hall as a modern era player. Now he has to get nominated by the veteran's committee, and they only get to nominate two of the 15 finalists each year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12