Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

Anyone Here Believe Norse Religion and Vikings could be Tied Together?

Strange subject isn't it? I have often wondered about the Vikings Football team and the Norse Gods and belief system of the ancient Nordic peoples with relation to the outcome of some of our seasons/games/ and other aspects. I was curious if anyone else has here has studied about this and also sees some corelation or if this is just to serious a topic to contemplate?

In fun we talk about "Purple Jesus"..."The Church of the Purple Jesus" etc....I am not a huge religion fan/fanatic but I find it interesting that so much of the Vikings prior bad luck can be tied directly to prophecy/teachings/myths of the Norse religion. Probably coincidence....but it is fascinating to me.

Can't help but wonder if those involved with the team followed more of the traditions/teachings etc if things would turn around for this Franchise in a big way? Seems silly doesn't it? Could it hurt I wonder?? If we went to Greenbay as a hoard, captured Brett Farve, and used him as a human sacrafice to Odin for example..??

Seriously....mostly curious if anyone else here has studied the germanic/celt/norse/ religions at all? My main study of ancient history was Egyptian lore and religion but I have an interest in these others as well.

No disrespect intended in this to any of you of any faith/religious up-bringing. It's just a thought.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Anyone Here Believe Norse Religion and Vikings could be Tied Together?

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Strange subject isn't it? I have often wondered about the Vikings Football team and the Norse Gods and belief system of the ancient Nordic peoples with relation to the outcome of some of our seasons/games/ and other aspects. I was curious if anyone else has here has studied about this and also sees some corelation or if this is just to serious a topic to contemplate?

In fun we talk about "Purple Jesus"..."The Church of the Purple Jesus" etc....I am not a huge religion fan/fanatic but I find it interesting that so much of the Vikings prior bad luck can be tied directly to prophecy/teachings/myths of the Norse religion. Probably coincidence....but it is fascinating to me.

Can't help but wonder if those involved with the team followed more of the traditions/teachings etc if things would turn around for this Franchise in a big way? Seems silly doesn't it? Could it hurt I wonder?? If we went to Greenbay as a hoard, captured Brett Farve, and used him as a human sacrafice to Odin for example..??

Seriously....mostly curious if anyone else here has studied the germanic/celt/norse/ religions at all? My main study of ancient history was Egyptian lore and religion but I have an interest in these others as well.

No disrespect intended in this to any of you of any faith/religious up-bringing. It's just a thought.

Cheers!
    Everybody knows Gary Anderson missed the field goal in the '98 Championship game because the the Noris God Loki made Morris botch the snap.
    Duh!

Frostbite is offline Coach

"briboy75" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!
    Everybody knows Gary Anderson missed the field goal in the '98 Championship game because the the Noris God Loki made Morris botch the snap.
    Duh!

LMAO....Thanks brilboy75

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Frostbite" wrote:
    LOL.. Making him suit up in Purple would be a personal sacrafice on his behalf, could you imagine the the carnage that would make in the PPO world.. people eating crow all over the place for having to cheer for him.
    ;D

"Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!
    Yah I have. There is a major movement in many circles to reestablish Germanic/Norse beliefs. the most prevelant movement is called Asutra. Or the Asutra Folk Assembly. Website and everything. The guy who operates that website is based right here in Nevada City. I met and talked with the guy a couple of times. As I am a 1/2 breed ;D My dad was Ojibway (MCT) and my mom is English, I have two cool native religions I follow! Also, Asutra is NOT A RACIST ORGANIZATION. A small minority of these groups are "white power" guys.
    Tuco the world.....

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Gotta love the off season my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

The off season breeds creativity!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    The off season breeds creativity!
    Got an AC/DC disk in (Plug Me In) that I got Wildman for Christmas, a few beasts in me and some great threads like this.

What more can a man ask for.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Check it out...
    http://www.wizardrealm.com/norse/index.html
    It the "Barbarian's Norse Religion Page."

Asatru is one of the noblest religions, but it's current infrastructure lends itself to some squabbling and infighting among the various sects concerning interpretations of the sagas, due in part to the unavailability of complete information.
    Kinda sounds the the Vikes under Childress!
    ;D

By the way, the next big "NORSE" holiday is February 14th. You may think of it as Valentine's Day but it's really a Norse Holiday called "Valisblot." Many modern Asatruar celebrate Valisblot, or Vali's Feast, even though there is no historical precedent for associating Odin's youngest son with this festival; other than the name Vali associated with "Valentine."
    The hero Svenfjotli, son of Sigimund, was reputed to have been born at this time, and often blots are drunk to him as well.

See, it's a good day to get drunk!
    LOL
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"briboy75" wrote:
    ...Everybody knows Gary Anderson missed the field goal in the '98 Championship game because the the Noris God Loki made Morris botch the snap.
    Duh!
    Exactly.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast