Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Is Anyone Else Worried About Our Coaching Staff?

"Toro" wrote:
    I'm sorry for starting yet another thread on the coaches, and I don't want to sound negative, but is anyone else a little worried about the lack of actual experience of our new coaches in their new roles? We have a head coach who has never been a head coach before, we have a 36 year-old offensive coordinator who has never been an offence coordinator before, and we have a 33 year old defensive coordinator who has never been a defensive coordinator before.

Now none of those three in isolation bothers me, but all three at the same time sort of does, especially the youth of our two coordinators along with the lack of experience. And they're bringing in all new coaches, a new defensive scheme, a new offensive scheme - especially when we don't need a new offensive scheme - etc., etc.

Man I really want this work, but I'm a bit worried. I'd like to see some more guys with grey hair on our staff, some more experience.

Thoughts?
    The offensive & defensive schemes were invented by us. The West Coast Offense was invented during the 1970's and became popular with the success of the 49ers in the 80's. The Defense was invented by Tony Dungy when he was a Viking. All three are talented and are chomping at the bit to prove their worth. That doesn't mean instant success, but I'm excited

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

i am not getting my hopes of next year for a SUper BOwl or something great like that its going to be a rebuilding season we might slip into the playoffs but to me its unlikely and believe me i wish that nothing i said was going to really happen and we would win a Super Bowl

Toro is offline Rookie

They're coming in and seemingly changing everything. I don't know why they have to do that. This wasn't a bad football team. We were 9-7, 8-8 and 9-7 the last 3 years. Its not like we are the Lions or anything. They don't have to make wholesale changes.
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

i am a bit worried about our new OC...he has like no experience just loney did and look where that got us...not only that. he is from the packers who didn't exactly tear it up this year... actually our HC and OC were coaching piss poor teams this season... interesting.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

These guys are going to bring youth and energy to the franchise, something we definately need.

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

I'm a little worried myself. Not only did we get new inexperienced coaches, we are completely going away from what was starting to work.

The D: was looking really good during the last half of the season. Had we continued with this scheme we would not need to add much to it. Now with Tomlin and the tampa 2 we don't have the right personel. At least 2 LB's needed, a safety and possibly another DE.

The O: With our current offense, we could have added a RB get healthy on the line and be in pretty good shape. Now I'm not sure what they will do. Hopefully adjust their systyem to our personel rather than forcing WCO down our throats. Can Dante recover and get enuff time on the field to learn a new system and be productive next year?

I'm really concerned that next season is a learning season.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

After a 15-1 season and a choke job by Mr. January back in 98, I always worry about the coaching staff.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Bottom line here is change can be good and bad. If the players take to the new staff with positive mindsets and excitement you will see good things happen on the field. If the players get into a scheme that is hard or questionable I think you will see poor play. The only fear I have is Pep. If he is to be starter he better be healthy and if not the coaches need to see it very quick and get him out and rest him before the season gets away.

Even with the new coaches if the '06 team has troubles, it will still be better than being mediocre and just doing the same ol same ol IMO..

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I think it may take a year for everyone to gell; its like taking a bunch of players (or in this case) coachers and just putting them into place.. thats why like all-star teams never work... they need to gell

Thank you Josdin for the sig

alberta_vike is offline Starter

Here's a quote that might make some people feel better about the offensive coordinator:

One prospective assistant Childress never doubted was Bevell, who played for him at Wisconsin from 1992-95 and is a longtime devotee of the West Coast offense. Bevell will neither call plays nor coach a position, meaning his primary role will be to install and teach the offense -- Childress' way.

"He knows it forward and backward," Childress said. "He'll say it exactly the way I want it said. I think it's very important that you speak with one voice, that there is no margin for error. I think that is very important as you go forward that everybody knows ... and everybody is saying the exact same thing."
    He's not going to be calling plays on Sunday, basically his only role is to teach the offense to the players. It sounds like he knows it well, and if thats his primary job on the team, then his inexperience shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here's the entire article.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast