Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I guess, what I was trying to say, is its the accumulative total of his character and injury issues that make us nervous about handing out a super-fat contract...I agree 100% that he is one tough mofo, and has not missed many games, but the way he plays does tend to lean him towards a kind of continual dinged up status, and a high probability of missing parts of games or more. And, of course, as he gets older, he won't be able to bounce back or heal as fast.
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    The way he plays though, is what makes him great. If you try & curb the way he plays, then you have nowhere near the playmaker.

The same is true of AD. The way he runs does tend to lean him towards getting dinged up in games and a shorter career. Luckily he's still very effective. I wouldn't want him to change his running style just to get more years of service out of him. You let the players do what they do best, the way they do it & don't try to handcuff them.

With Harvin too, there was that hole thru the bone in his foot that many thought would cause him to break it quite easily, but that thus far has been a non-issue too that I think many forgot about.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-30-2012 at 11:18 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Harvin is a very good player, but his antics would lead us to believe he must get a Randy Ratio or Harvin Haul of touches because he is so good the team cannot win without him. Well, it did not work out that way. The Vikings have shown that football is a team game, and everyone had to step up.

I hope the Vikings can retain a valuable player like Harvin. The team needs top quality players like Harvin to go deep into the playoffs or challenge for the Superbowl, but players have to know that each is only one part of a whole.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Harvin is a very good player, but his antics would lead us to believe he must get a Randy Ratio or Harvin Haul of touches because he is so good the team cannot win without him. Well, it did not work out that way. The Vikings have shown that football is a team game, and everyone had to step up.

I hope the Vikings can retain a valuable player like Harvin. The team needs top quality players like Harvin to go deep into the playoffs or challenge for the Superbowl, but players have to know that each is only one part of a whole.
    His rookie contract is heavy with incentives so in his defense to a point he does need to get the ball to earn the green, that being yards, tds etc, team wins and great blocks don't get him the benjamins. Now that probably isn't the nicest way to look at it but just like teams that cast off aging vets not living up to contracts that had too much loaded into the back. I think that is how they were able to smooth some things over with Harvin (also they said next year we'll take care of you Daunte Culpepper....oops different guy and time) in the summer by pointing out where he could get the cash by hitting those targets but as the team stuggled and he got hurt some of the money became unreachable.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Here are the details of Harvin's contract, although it doesn't say what the incentives are, but $2.2 mil of a $12 mil contracts is incentives, which is about 18%.

8/2/2009: Signed a five-year, $12.05 million contract. The deal contains $8.425 million guaranteed, including a $2,158,500 roster bonus in the third season. Another $2.2 million is available through incentives. Harvin is eligible for annual workout bonuses of $27,500 throughout the contract's life. 2012: $915,000, 2013: $1.55 million, 2014: Free Agent
    $8.4 mil of that contract is guaranteed over 5 years or roughly $1.4 mil per year.

In comparison, this is John Carlson's contract;

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $9.1 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. Carlson is eligible for annual $100,000 offseason workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2012-2013: $2.9 million, 2014: $3.9 million, 2015-2016: $4.9 million, 2017: Free Agent
    $9.1 mil of that contract is guaranteed over 5 years or roughly $1.8 mil per year.

Considering what both contribute to the team, if I was Percy, I'd be miffed.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Here are the details of Harvin's contract, although it doesn't say what the incentives are, but $2.2 mil of a $12 mil contracts is incentives, which is about 18%.

$8.4 mil of that contract is guaranteed over 5 years or roughly $1.4 mil per year.

$9.1 mil of that contract is guaranteed over 5 years or roughly $1.8 mil per year.

Yup that is one way to look at it and he probably is, one of the things though that did affect Percy was his positive drug test issue cost him in the draft and money but he has stayed clean and produced for the Vikings so they have gained.

I guess so of the things that it all rolls out to over the next few moths are where and how much damage is there with Harvin, staff and his team mate. Is this going to be a problem again in the near future...he did throw a weight at the Chiller as part of his past.

His value to the team, trade him before the draft, hold him to his year on the contract and use a tag to get another year out of him as well. I personally don't see any of this working overly well, trade is probably better than the later 2.

Or work out a new deal before the draft, I've heard Pat Kirwan state that renewing a A graded player on your roster a year early can save the team roughly 30% as compared to how much it can cost to go out and buy a free agent top tier player to fill the void or keep your player in the fold while he is being wowed with offers as a free agent. I think Harvin is worth getting a deal done with and smoothing things over with unless there is more venom out there than is being reported.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Always a big difference between a rookie contract and a free agent or veteran contract.
    The next contract Percy signs will be substatially larger than the first.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Anyone else think he's gone?

There are fans on a Steelers site putting out there that there should be a swap of Harvin and Wallace. I would be good with that.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    TEAM guy?

The man has done everything and more for his team. He runs any route you ask him to, he returns kicks and he runs the ball threw the tackles for crying out loud. I would bet if you asked him to go out and play defense he would.

Lets not forget his injury game against the Seahawks where he got hurt and then decided to come back in.

Seems like a team player to me.
    Let's not forget his abortive holdout, and the thinly veiled threat to do it again.

HOW he plays - which is awesome - doesn't make him a "TEAM GUY".

Peterson is awesome, and he's a TEAM guy.

Harvin seems to be a bit more about Harvin.

Look, I wish like HELL that he would stay. I LOVE watching him play. I LOVE having him in purple. He's an AMAZING talent, and he adds a desperately needed dimension to our offense.

But I can't shake the FEELING that this may not be where HE wants to be. That he's surveyed the landscape of the NFL and realized that not only can he make a LOT more money elsewhere, but he can wind up on a better Offense doing so. And if he's eyeing the exit sign, then the COST to keep him becomes prohibitive.

Let's face it, he's going to be EXPENSIVE. And we have a LOT of needs. He might be more valuable to us, in the long term, on the trade block.

Unless, of course, he decides that this is where he wants to be, and doesn't price himself to the point where we can't bring in the help we need.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    There are fans on a Steelers site putting out there that there should be a swap of Harvin and Wallace. I would be good with that.
    Wallace is a free agent next year and Harvin still has a year left on his contract

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    . And if he's eyeing the exit sign
    Look Percy an exit sign we can trade you here....rumor is your old buddy Tim heading here

Or maybe this could be a fun place, they don't have a GM, coach or QB and the owner now has one of the other family memebers involved in running the team....feels like home already right

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast