Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone Else See The NFL Live Talking Bout the Vikes??

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:
    Owens will be in camp and will definitely be on the field when game time runs around ... so ... the Eagles are still the team to beat ... but I think the Vikings are just the team to beat them :-)
    eagles are the team to beat? no way. we should have beaten them twice last year but our offensive line let kearse through like water, goldberg had 3 penalties in those 2 games that called back 3 touchdowns, and moss stopped playing in the playoffs. and not to mention our team has a new attitude, a offensive cordinator who won't have a receiver throw the ball in a big game, and a defense that is way better than last year the vikings are the team to beat.
    The team to beat is defined as the team that uhm, rocked last year, and hasn't lost enough players or momentum to not rock this year.

This makes the Eagles the team to beat.

But let's examine your criteria, and see if we are indeed the team to beat:

Our offensive line let Kearse through like water
    : Ok? Mike Rosenthal is much stronger than the RT who subbed for him, but his feet are not much quicker, and that's what got Jevon Kearse through - quick footwork. Kearse also jumped around a lot - he lined up over McKinnie and beat him, too. So by this particular piece of criteria, we might as well be as porous here as ever.

Moss stopped playing in the playoffs
    I'm going to get flamed out of the water for this, but no - Daunte stopped playing in the playoffs, and Tice stopped coaching in the playoffs. I seem to recall a man playing on one leg catching a one handed, off-his-back-foot thrown ball while being interfered with in the 4th quarter of a game. I seem to recall that same man playing very well in the first two quarters against Philly. But what happened against Philly, anyway?

Mike Tice's terrible personnell rotation cost us a lot of points, and, let us not forget his sending Cory Withrow out for the Fake FG that would have other wise netted Moss a touchdown.

Our linebackers Dontarrious Thomas and EJ Henderson (wait, aren't these guys both projected starters, again??) not knowing how to cover Brian Westbrook, LJ Smith or Chad Lewis?

But, surely I'm not also blaming Daunte? Yes, I am.

It was Daunte Culpepper who never looked to Jermaine Wiggins underneath, who was open ALL GAME. It was Daunte Culpepper who constantly missed receivers in the flat and got riled by a pass ruch that on the majority of the plays ALMOST but didn't QUITE reach him. It was Daunte who crumbled under pressure. Daunte who threw drive killing picks.

What does this have to do with Moss? Moss was our only receiver catching passes, save two by Marcus Robinson (one a very nice catch, the other a TD in garbage time). And thus, Moss drew triple coverage. Remember that key third down play where Culpepper bombed it to Moss in triple coverage? He had other open options. Moss played well in the postseason, but having one leg catches up to you when you're blanketed by a Pro Bowl corner and safety, with another corner playing underneath. Could he have played harder? Maybe. But not much harder.

A defense better than last year?

Uh huh. On paper. Let us examine the facts - unless Sam Cowart steps up, we still don't have linebackers who can cover running backs or tight ends. Fred Smoot leaves us vulnerable to the sweep play toward the RCB position, because he could get trucked by Marvin Harrison. Our defensive ends are still unproven. Darren Sharper is a remarkable upgrade if he plays up to par, and our strong safety position is...uhm..questionable, at best.

Have we improved remarkably? Yes. But only on paper. We haven't proven it yet - the Eagles have.

Edit: But let's look on the bright side. If Smoot can learn to tackle, and covers as well as us over-hyping fans are saying he can, we'll have two shutdown corners - Winfield absolutely stopped TO, save that magical bobbling out of bounds touchdown catch that Mike Meathead didn't challenge. If we can stop Brian Westbrook, we stand a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

still in love with Moss, huh?

Culpepper is and never will be the problem IMO. defending moss by bashing Culp is less than cosher, but you are entitled to your oppinion.

our defense will be better for sure. they are untested though, but i can't go pessimistic when we had the bes, THE BEST, offseason ever. Moss being traded is the least my concern, nor do I need to think about it any more.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"PAvikesfan" wrote:

Culpepper is and never will be the problem IMO. defending moss by bashing Culp is less than cosher, but you are entitled to your oppinion.

our defense will be better for sure. they are untested though, but i can't go pessimistic when we had the bes, THE BEST, offseason ever. Moss being traded is the least my concern, nor do I need to think about it any more.
    Good analysis. Glad you disputed my stance with facts and observations instead of zealotry. *clap clap*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "PAvikesfan" wrote:

Good analysis. Glad you disputed my stance with facts and observations instead of zealotry. *clap clap*
    My opinion. not anal-isis. moss will not be missed by me. i can't wait for a rookie to take his number. our offense thanks to our OC and his gamplan thought Moss was the answer for everything including WR option throws---that was embarrassing. i don't blame moss in any way, more the OC for sucking. and i agree TICE is a stooge. but time to move past Moss. *crabs crabs*

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't blame Moss, I dont blame Peps either. I don't really blame any of the guys, I blame the OC and Tice. Our offensive game plan against the Eagles in the playoffs was horrid, IMO. Moss didn't stop playing, he was playing on one foot most of the week before. It's tough to play with a bad wheel, playoffs or not. Daunte didn't stop playing either, he was running for his life most of the game and had very llittle time to stop and look at Wiggins underneath, much less throw him the ball.

I won't miss Moss, and I don't blame Cuilly either.

Back to the matter at hand however....I agree that the Vikes have the best shot to challenge. Us and the Falcons I'd say, just because they darn near did it last year.

agree 100%.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    "midgensa" wrote:
    Owens will be in camp and will definitely be on the field when game time runs around ... so ... the Eagles are still the team to beat ... but I think the Vikings are just the team to beat them :-)
    eagles are the team to beat? no way. we should have beaten them twice last year but our offensive line let kearse through like water, goldberg had 3 penalties in those 2 games that called back 3 touchdowns, and moss stopped playing in the playoffs. and not to mention our team has a new attitude, a offensive cordinator who won't have a receiver throw the ball in a big game, and a defense that is way better than last year the vikings are the team to beat.
    Are you insane?

First, Eagles clearly beat us both games last year - it wasn't all that close.

Moss looked absolutley incredible in the 1st playoff game in green bay.

New attitude? Maybe you are new to football, but EVERY team says that every year.

How do you know what Loney will, or won't do offensively? Besides, that play worked several times in the past. Nobody complained then. It was a high risk/high reward play. It's plays like that are the most interesting to watch.

Every year the Vikings Defense is suppose to be better then the year before. Yeah, they made more moves this time, and I'm optomistic, but they haven't done anything yet.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"toemaster6" wrote:
    "MountainVike" wrote:
    Actually, other than a couple of games, we didn't look too good without Moss. Our offense sputtered at times last year. With Kleinsasser and Rosenthal back and, hopefully, Birk healthy...our running game should be much improved, but I don't see us being an explosive offense.
    ottytrain5:

This my friend is what I think of your statement. If you think about it the Vikes offense was geared around moss and it wouldn't take a genius to figure out there would be the potential for less production if he wasn't in the game. Now that they don't have to cater to moss and can put in a more balanced scheme and production with one of the best QB's playing the game their IMO should actually be an increase in offensive production, unless Tice and Loney go conservative on us. Please get up off your sister and do some more research before you start flappin you fingers on a keyboard.
    So, people are not entitled to their own opinions without personal attacks?

**Note to self**
    add toemaster to my list.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

YEAH...T-HO caught that touchdown...he caught it, I tell ya...oops, he didn't catch it.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Out of both games last year, I'd say the Eagles beat us in a more dominating fashion in the playoff game.. even though we weren't really out of until the Eagles went up 27-7 late in the game. And we weren't exactly dead in the earlier game.. if they could have kept Philly from getting a fg and got the ball back, scored a td plus the 2 point conversion you'd have a 24-24 game, instead of 27-16 at the end.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast