Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Is anyone else concerned with the offensive line?

Tice being a former O-line coach and a good one at that, as long as he is our coach, O-line won't be the weakness of the team.

I don't think it is a great line, but it has potential to be a good one. Mckinnie is all about effort. If he gives it, he plays well. He is coming to the end of his contract and is now playing for a new one, and that is why I see more effort coming from him. Birk, although he has been having inury problems, is still a perennial pro bowler and is not a concern, especially with withrow as our backup center. Lewinski is moving from right to left, so I guess there could be some concern with that, but he has played long enough to get it done. Rosey and marcus johnson would be the 2 spots that worry me the most. A rookie and a guy that is coming off a season ending inury. They are the 2 wildcards. You never know what a rookie is gonna do or what a guy coming off a serious injury is gonna do. But, if they can't do it, tice is smart enough to see it and put guys in there that can. I think the young guys that got some PT last year, learned and will be able to start, if they are needed too.

I don't see a great O-line, but definitely not a weak spot on our team, Tice won't allow that.

vegasvikingguy is offline Waterboy

Our o-line does not come close to matching Stringer, Christy, McDaniel, Dixon, Strussie and Lindsay as a backup. Birk may cancel Christy, Rosenthal maybe Strussie, Withrow cancels Lindsey, Mckinney does not cancel McDaniel yet, and I don't see Dorsey, Herrera, or Liewinski canceling out Dixon and Stringer. Hopefully, Marcus Johnson learns quick and helps out then I would feel more comfortable.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"vegasvikingguy" wrote:
    Our o-line does not come close to matching Stringer, Christy, McDaniel, Dixon, Strussie and Lindsay as a backup. Birk may cancel Christy, Rosenthal maybe Strussie, Withrow cancels Lindsey, Mckinney does not cancel McDaniel yet, and I don't see Dorsey, Herrera, or Liewinski canceling out Dixon and Stringer. Hopefully, Marcus Johnson learns quick and helps out then I would feel more comfortable.
    You just said that Birk - Christy is a good comparison, Rosenthal - Steussie works, Withrow - Lindsay, I think Liewinski cancels Dixon, and maybe McKinney isn't at the same level as McDaniel, but he's close and he's still improving. And I think Johnson and Goldberg can come close to equaling Korey. So I think maybe our o-line isn't at the same level as the '98 era line which was hands down one of the best in the league, but we're d@mn close. I don't think anyone will argue that we have the best o-line in the league, or even top5. But we for sure hae a top 10 line that is very good, so I don't think it's a weakness.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Of course we have a top 10 o-line, when healthy we're close to top 5, that's the key.

If I had to grade them I'd say:

T-Mike Rosenthal B-
    T-Bryant McKinnie B+ (with A+ potential)
    G-David Dixon B (coming on late in his career)
    G-Chris Liewinski C
    C-Matt Birk A+ (when healthy)

In 1998-2000, however, I think we may have had THE best o-line in the league

C-Christy (although not as good as Birk, was one of league's best)
    G-Randall McDaniel (quite possibly the best pulling guard ever)
    G-David Dixon(quite possibly the best player a team could ever call their worst starting lineman)
    T-Todd Steussie (any other team, he probably would have been the best lineman - 3rd best on this one)
    T-Stringer (If he were still with us he'd be one of the league's best, he's was already well above average, and I know he went to at least one pro bowl, maybe two)

You just can't touch that.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I wouldn't say im worried about our o-line, but our offense in general. For some reason I am really worried about our moss-less offense. I hope I am wrong.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

It would be nice to see our first drive of the season be a nice, long drive of about 75-80 yards, about half passing and half running maybe 8-10 plays taking about 5 mins off the clock, ending in a TD. I think that would make us all breathe a lot easier. Once that first TD is out of the way, it will be a huge weight off our shoulders.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

"vegasvikingguy" wrote:
    I think the offensive line could be our biggest weakness! I hope I am wrong, but who do we have that is reliable? Mckinney is the only one and he needs improvement. David Dixon is no longer on the team. Matt Birk has been injury prone and I wounder if he can return to pro bowl form. Cory Withrow is a great back up but not a long term answer. Mike Rosenthal is another Todd Steussie with mental lapses that cause costly penalties plus he is coming off a year absence due to injury. Then we have Adam Goldberg, Chris Liewinski, Anthony Herrera, Nat Dorsey who are all pretty good back ups at best. I don't have confidence in two of the four starting and protecting Culpepper for an entire season. Thank god Kleinsasser is back and should help. Does anyone else share my concerns our can help ease my concerns. Our passing game and running game depend on our O-line as does our season.
    Hey what up man another Vike in Vegas that makes THREE of us here!!!! I have some confidence in our line but I think that Mckinney is the weakness on the line
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

vegasvikingguy is offline Waterboy

Canadian Vikes Guy, I hope your right and I'm just being paranoid because Dante and Bennett are going to need a top 10 O-line to take us all the way.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I'm a bit concerned. They're definately not bad by any means, but they're not the greatest. They're good, and I'm hoping that's all we need. If they stay injury free, they'll do the job effectively.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"vegasvike" wrote:
    "vegasvikingguy" wrote:
    I think the offensive line could be our biggest weakness! I hope I am wrong, but who do we have that is reliable? Mckinney is the only one and he needs improvement. David Dixon is no longer on the team. Matt Birk has been injury prone and I wounder if he can return to pro bowl form. Cory Withrow is a great back up but not a long term answer. Mike Rosenthal is another Todd Steussie with mental lapses that cause costly penalties plus he is coming off a year absence due to injury. Then we have Adam Goldberg, Chris Liewinski, Anthony Herrera, Nat Dorsey who are all pretty good back ups at best. I don't have confidence in two of the four starting and protecting Culpepper for an entire season. Thank god Kleinsasser is back and should help. Does anyone else share my concerns our can help ease my concerns. Our passing game and running game depend on our O-line as does our season.
    Hey what up man another Vike in Vegas that makes THREE of us here!!!! I have some confidence in our line but I think that Mckinney is the weakness on the line

McKinney did not start out last year very well but by the end of the year was kicking some serious butt. He was also playing hurt last year!

From what I am hearing around here this spring he is looking better than he ever has.

I am also hearing that Johnson is down right nasty, a friend has told me he will be starting either the regular season opener or a few weeks after.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast