Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Any Word On Morgan???

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding Morgan.
    I have a good feeling they will sign him today now that the 1st game is behind them.
    That will definately help the KR game.
    I personally don't like TW there.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Any Word On Morgan???

I have not heard anything but I would like to see them explore bringing him on but I myself would mind seeing T-Will get some more chance I think it could pay off big down the road.
    He hasn't done it much and these are his 1st few tries and he is learning but he had on for 44yards last night and average 24 yards and I think after some experience he could be a big surprise.
    The other side is you are risking him to more injuries as a kick returner and would hate to see him hurt.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I do not want Morgan.

They called him "stonehands" here in Cleveland, and for good reason.

I'll be honest.
    I didn't see him play too much in Cleveland but I saw him play alot last year with Pitt.
    I thought he played very well.
    The Steeler fans I know weren't happy they released him.

Tarkenator is offline Training Camp

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I do not want Morgan.

Aye, and the legend of the "granite fingers" reached as far south as Columbus.
    There is a reason he has been on three teams in five years.
    He is not a clutch player and Kick Returner is a clutch position.

We should pass on Morgan...of course, if we do pass on him, he will drop it.
    "Puntalee-wuntalee, yesiree-bob!"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I was going to ask that same question.. I thought for sure when I came home from work that their was going to be a statement that said the Vikings sign WR/KR Quincy Morgan..

I look forward to coming home and looking at my PP.O Toolbar for the latest news on the Vikes..

"Tarkenator" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I do not want Morgan.

Aye, and the legend of the "granite fingers" reached as far south as Columbus.
    There is a reason he has been on three teams in five years.
    He is not a clutch player and Kick Returner is a clutch position.

There's reason for a lot of people to be on 3 teams in 5 years.
    See Brad Johnson.
    It's called Free Agency.
    Deion Sanders (if I recall correctly) went to 3 teams in 3 years.

All I'm saying is I watched him play last year and stone hands weren't what I saw.
    I was impressed with him and a lot of Steeler fans didn't seem to want to give him up.
    Of course, I don't know the total picture except for what I see but from what I did see he didn't have stone hands.

If anyone has recent clips or specifics on him I will see otherwise.
    But from what I saw he's as good as any of the current WRs the Vikings have

We should pass on Morgan...of course, if we do pass on him, he will drop it.

Tarkenator is offline Training Camp

Quote from: Ejmat

"All I'm saying is I watched him play last year and stone hands weren't what I saw.
    I was impressed with him and a lot of Steeler fans didn't seem to want to give him up.
    Of course, I don't know the total picture except for what I see but from what I did see he didn't have stone hands.

If anyone has recent clips or specifics on him I will see otherwise.
    But from what I saw he's as good as any of the current WRs the Vikings have "
    Endquote.

He had a total of 9 receptions last year as a WR on a championship team, hardly enough to gauge his abilties on.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but there are unfortunately (without fail) two teams you can watch in Columbus, Ohio every week - Browns or Bengals.

I watched Morgan drop passes for three years with the Browns. He did have one good season with them and
    I am not saying he doesn't have skill.
    I am saying that it tends to desert him when it is needed most.
    "Puntalee-wuntalee, yesiree-bob!"

True but he didn't play all that much either.
    He had 9 receptions, averaged 16.7 yards per catch and 2 TDs.
    4 of his catches were for 20+ yards and 7 of them were for 1st downs.
    You have to look at it as the Steelers were a running team last year and other WRs (Ward, Randle-El, Wilson, Miller and Parker) were their main receivers.
    If you want to compare him look at our #1 from last year.
    Nate Burly had plenty of more playing time (although less games) but had 30 receptions, averaged 10.9 yards per catch, longest catch was for 20 yards and had one TD.

Going back to Morgan he also can return kicks.
    Last year he returned 23, averaged 25.3 yards, had a long of 74, and 2 over 40 yards.
    I think we can agree we are short there right now.
    Granted we can bring in Carter for that and that would be perfectly fine with me if we did.

There is such a thing of improvement.
    You said he had one good year with the Browns.
    Was that his final year with them?

I'm not doubting what you are telling me.
    He very well could have stone hands.
    I'm just saying from what I did see last year he did just fine with the time he was in.
    He can't do any worse than TWill did last night.
    He had 4 catches and 77 yards.
    Not bad (actually very reputable)
    He also had 3 1st down completions and a long of 46 yards.
    All good!
    However, he had 2 drops (really 3 when you consider that one he totally misjudged when he dove).
    Both would have been 1st downs and one of them could have been a TD.
    Now, before everyone starts going off on me I'm not trying to diss TWill.
    I'm saying that sometimes people start slow and improve.
    I'm sure we all agree TWill needs to improve and given the chance he will.
    Don't you think Morgan could have improved from those years in Cleveland?
    Again, what I saw last year (I followed the Steelers almost as much as I did the Vikings last year) he did fine with the opportunities he had.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

[size=10pt]Return man Quincy Morgan seems likely to sign this week[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/672849.html

The Vikings continued to talk with the agent for Quincy Morgan on Tuesday, and it appears the two sides are closing in on a deal for the veteran receiver and kick returner. "Hopefully we'll get it done pretty soon," agent Brian Overstreet said. "I think it's [close]. We'll just see if it happens."
    The six-year veteran had a workout with the Vikings last week and Overstreet said his client, "likes the fit up there." Morgan, who was released by Pittsburgh in the final roster cutdown of training camp, also is being considered by San Francisco, Miami and New England.

Morgan likely would replace fellow receiver Troy Williamson as the Vikings' return man on kickoffs if he signs. Morgan ranked eighth in the NFL last season with a 25.3-yard average on 23 returns for the Steelers. Coach Brad Childress said Tuesday that Morgan is "a possibility" to land on the Vikings roster.

In the Vikings' 19-16 victory over Washington on Monday night, Williamson returned four kicks for an average of 24.5 yards.

Childress downplayed using one of his top receivers in a key role on special teams. "Guys have skills and abilities and you have to utilize them," Childress said. "We could spot him in and out from time to time, but he has got some explosive components, and I think you have to get that on the football field."

A key reason Morgan might be signed this week is the Vikings won't have to guarantee his base salary for 2006 if things don't work out. If he had been on the opening-day roster, the Vikings would have been on the hook for his salary because Morgan is a vested veteran.

Blue impresses

Rookie safety Greg Blue received positive reviews after starting in place of veteran Dwight Smith, who was placed on the inactive list for Monday's game in an apparent one-game punishment for being cited for indecent conduct last month.

"[Blue] had a couple pretty good licks, which is important at the position he plays," Childress said. "In coverage I thought he was solid. I just think that getting his feet wet in that forum is extremely difficult. I thought he gave a good accounting of himself. He wasn't out of position and he came up and filled up the role pretty well."

Blue finished with six tackles.

Etc.

• Childress reported no significant injuries from Monday's game.

•ESPN's telecast of the Vikings-Washington game -- the first regular-season Monday night game on the network -- produced its largest audience and marked the first time the network has delivered more than 9 million homes. The game drew a 9.9 rating and was watched in 9,177,000 households, making it the second-largest audience in cable television history behind CNN's telecast of a 1993 NAFTA debate between Ross Perot and Al Gore. Locally, Monday's game had a combined 30.7 rating, registering a 17.5 rating on WFTC (Ch. 29) and a 13.2 on ESPN. The rating on ESPN in Minneapolis-St. Paul ranked sixth among the 55 metered markets in the United States.

• Fewer than 600 tickets remain for Sunday's game against Carolina. The tickets need to be sold by noon Thursday to prevent a local TV blackout.

• One of the Vikings' focuses this week will be cutting down on their penalties. Childress' team had nine flags thrown against it, including seven in the first half Monday. "I think when you go out at halftime and the penalties are seven to one, with you with seven and them with one, you can play smarter," Childress said. "Those procedural things, those lineups, those false starts, those two personal fouls, those things we need to rectify."

Staff writer Kevin Seifert contributed to this notebook

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast