Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Regardless of his ability, I deeply respect Mr. Winfield. He brought class to the team and was a heck of a tackler. Some of our best highlight reels were of him in run coverage.

Anyway, enjoy your retirement. I'm glad we don't have to play against you!!
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Link?

How does a guy who had 3 INT's & 15 passes defensed last year be guilty of never contesting passes and letting everything get completed?

2012:
    Winfield: Passes defensed: 15, INT’s: 3, Solo tackles: 72
    Smith: Passes defensed: 14, INT’s: 3, Solo tackles: 74
    NFL Stats: by Player Category

Antoine Winfield hasn't allowed a touchdown pass in 3 seasons
    Antoine Winfield hasn't allowed a touchdown pass in 3 seasons - SBNation.com
    He was also in PFF's top ten for yards per coverage snap, 57 I think in the top overall players list, was number 5 on the list of best corners in coverage in the last five years (just coverage, not factoring in his tackling ability), his grade in run defense is almost triple that of the next best, and his overall grade last year was higher than any other cornerback.

How anyone could say AW is a liability, especially after watching Josh Robinson, is beyond me.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    He was also in PFF's top ten for yards per coverage snap, 57 I think in the top overall players list, was number 5 on the list of best corners in coverage in the last five years (just coverage, not factoring in his tackling ability), his grade in run defense is almost triple that of the next best, and his overall grade last year was higher than any other cornerback.

How anyone could say AW is a liability, especially after watching Josh Robinson, is beyond me.
    Easy! We are delusional as vikings fans. Same reason some said Birk was finished.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post

Winfield finished the season with a +25.5 grade, narrowly edging Richard Sherman (+25.1) to the top spot in our CB rankings, but that’s only part of the story. If you look purely at coverage, Sherman’s grade (+26.4) is almost four times higher than Winfield’s (+7.0), and there is no doubt that Sherman was the superior player in that regard last season.
    That is from an article that PFF on their stats

Antoine Winfield – PFF’s No. 1 Cornerback?

Antoine age has affected his change of direction speed and also posted a like to his last preseason game where he gave up a TD to Welker against the Broncos a few weeks ago LINK to find my LINK

There is a reason why the Vikings release him due to his salary, there is a reason why no other team pulled him in off of waivers for that number, there is a reason he didn't get 5 mill for this season like some other free agent CBs did and there is a reason the Seahawks also release Antoine.
    I also believe there is a reason Antoine retired instead of taking to the Vikings as well or any other team....Age does probably play a role in that decision as well as getting a chance to finish with a contender.

I do respect his contributions to the Vikings over the years and his big shot tackling abilities but age has started to reel him in just like it did to Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Ronnie Lott

But anyone that thinks you could leave Winfield one on one with say a Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson with out safety support over the top and he would be alright in pure coverage (which is purely hypothetical and I don't have a link to anyone saying that) I wouldn't agree with them but other teams might use their best corner to do that....and have a coach named Rex too

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    That is from an article that PFF on their stats

Antoine Winfield – PFF’s No. 1 Cornerback?

Antoine age has affected his change of direction speed and also posted a like to his last preseason game where he gave up a TD to Welker against the Broncos a few weeks ago LINK to find my LINK

There is a reason why the Vikings release him due to his salary, there is a reason why no other team pulled him in off of waivers for that number, there is a reason he didn't get 5 mill for this season like some other free agent CBs did and there is a reason the Seahawks also release Antoine.
    I also believe there is a reason Antoine retired instead of taking to the Vikings as well or any other team....Age does probably play a role in that decision as well as getting a chance to finish with a contender.

I do respect his contributions to the Vikings over the years and his big shot tackling abilities but age has started to reel him in just like it did to Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Ronnie Lott

But anyone that thinks you could leave Winfield one on one with say a Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson with out safety support over the top and he would be alright in pure coverage (which is purely hypothetical and I don't have a link to anyone saying that) I wouldn't agree with them but other teams might use their best corner to do that....and have a coach named Rex too
    Would he be an upgrade to Robinson in the slot?

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    I remember the day we recruited him...wouldn't let him leave until he signed. Was thrilled he came, and admire the way he carried himself as a professional. Winnie was a great Viking, loved how he played, how he led, he is missed.

Happy retirement, enjoy it while you are young Mr. Winfield, you've earned it!

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Would he be an upgrade to Robinson in the slot?
    I'd say yes and here is some footage of Robinson in the week 3 preseason game were he had Patton get by him then Davis then Patton for a TD

LINK

Now having said that I don't think the upgrade is huge but its there, also Winfield did miss the last 2 preseason games cause he hurt his knee in practice. That too anybody can get hurt but I think its an age liability thing for Winny just based on the fact that I'm old too

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    He's had difficulties staying healthy. I question whether Spielman would have brought him back even if he didn't retire.
    It is simply time for him to hang them up.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    sbnation says: Winfield is 36 years old and has been regarded as a strong tackler who doesn't make too many mistakes in the passing game. He'll allow the short passes here and there, but it's probably safe to say that few realized he hadn't allowed a touchdown in three seasons.
    That is bunk. We know he has been beaten deep.

Are they saying it was not his man or the safety did not come over in a zone transition?

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    That's a completely silly argument. Obviously Cook would be on Marshall or Johnson and never Winfield. He's our best cover corner. Winfield is great in the slot, which is where he would be all of the time. Just rewatch the SF touchdown drive and then tell we whether you think he would make our team significantly better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast