Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Antoine Winfield eager to be injury-free

Griffin should have a solid season, he's a really good football player. Even when he did get beat it was by inches, those perfect type passes that are very hard to defend. IMO Griffith will be star at CB, he's got the confidence and mentality to be great. He is a very physical guy and he's barley starting his 3rd season. When he was still with Texas I spent the games looking for Michael Huff to make plays but Grifith was always the guy showing skills. Last year he had a total of 92 tackles with 82 solo with 10 passes defended and 2 FF. With added pressure from the front four and opportunity to play with the game in front of him I look for more solid hits and INT's. We will have a tough tandem at CB.

I was exited to find out Winfield actually has 2 more years on his contract, I thought he was a FA after the upcoming season. I'm really glad Winfield is pumped and ready, he's attended all activities. Him and Pat are finally gonna get into the post season. There arn't many Corners I would trade directly accross for Winfield, he's a specail player IMO and has above average cover skills even though he's undersized. This year Winfield should be fresh, we have enough depth to get him off of specail teams. This is gotta be killer running around on specail teams then defending top notch WR's. Both him and Griffin will exel when given the opportunity to play more Cover 2.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I hope that the addition of a ton of talent on defense allow frazier to put Winfield in situations where he is not going to be yielding as many completions as he has in the past. He can tackle but he has been playing too far off the ball and doesn't have the speed to close in and stop completions. Hopefully he can be held closer to the line where he would be a better player.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I hope that the addition of a ton of talent on defense allow frazier to put Winfield in situations where he is not going to be yielding as many completions as he has in the past. He can tackle but he has been playing too far off the ball and doesn't have the speed to close in and stop completions. Hopefully he can be held closer to the line where he would be a better player.
    I would have to argue with Winfields closing speed, or speed altogether. He has good speed and quickness he doesn't spend alot of time making false steps and mistakes. Berrian and Chad Johnson are two guys I have seen Winfield burned by but this happens to every CB. Speed can be overated at the CB position, guys like DeAngalo Hall have great straight line speed but often are burned. Winfields job in the cover 2 would consist of playing off the ball sometimes and others playing bump and run, depending on the defensive call. Winfield has given up receptions, but also relize Winfield has played on team with no pass rush, for the first time in his carear he will be teamed with elite pass rushers. Usually when a WR does catch a pass on Winfield that particular WR gets planted emidiatley because he's all over it. Its unusually to see a WR gaining Yac when Winfield is covering them. Also keep in mind its very very rare that Winfield gives up a score.

Fred Smoot was a guy who gave up to many receptions and played off the ball with extreme faness almost all the time. He is no longer here and would give up mad YAC.

IMO Winfield is a top CB in this league, not because he's a great tackler but because he's a great overall football player. Alot of Secondary bashing will end with the addition of pass rush, something we have all wanted for many years.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would have to argue with Winfields closing speed, or speed altogether. He has good speed and quickness he doesn't spend alot of time making false steps and mistakes. Berrian and Chad Johnson are two guys I have seen Winfield burned by but this happens to every CB. Speed can be overated at the CB position, guys like DeAngalo Hall have great straight line speed but often are burned. Winfields job in the cover 2 would consist of playing off the ball sometimes and others playing bump and run, depending on the defensive call. Winfield has given up receptions, but also relize Winfield has played on team with no pass rush, for the first time in his carear he will be teamed with elite pass rushers. Usually when a WR does catch a pass on Winfield that particular WR gets planted emidiatley because he's all over it. Its unusually to see a WR gaining Yac when Winfield is covering them. Also keep in mind its very very rare that Winfield gives up a score.

Fred Smoot was a guy who gave up to many receptions and played off the ball with extreme faness almost all the time. He is no longer here and would give up mad YAC.

IMO Winfield is a top CB in this league, not because he's a great tackler but because he's a great overall football player. Alot of Secondary bashing will end with the addition of pass rush, something we have all wanted for many years.
    Playing off the ball/receiver is part of the defensive scheme. If 1 CB does it, they both do. Every time Griffin or Smoot played off their man, Winfield did also.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

It's not like last year was the only year this has been an issue. We have had coverage problems in the secondary for over a decade and going on 15 years since the early days of Dungy being hired and I don't hold a grudge against Winfield and didn't against Smoot (or numerous others) for that matter but both guys were high value free agents that were brought in to bolster the pass defense and we didn't do a good job with either of them IMO and I blame the coaches and FO for not putting them in a position to be successful.

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Playing off the ball/receiver is part of the defensive scheme. If 1 CB does it, they both do. Every time Griffin or Smoot played off their man, Winfield did also.
    Exactly if Smoot was playing off the ball then so was Winfield, there shouldn't be such a big deal made out of a CB playing off the ball.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

It's not like last year was the only year this has been an issue. We have had coverage problems in the secondary for over a decade and going on 15 years since the early days of Dungy being hired and I don't hold a grudge against Winfield and didn't against Smoot (or numerous others) for that matter but both guys were high value free agents that were brought in to bolster the pass defense and we didn't do a good job with either of them IMO and I blame the coaches and FO for not putting them in a position to be successful.
    Very aware of that, I've been watching full seasons for years now. I definitly held a grudge against Smoot simply because he was garbage, I wanted him gone the year before he was released but we gave him one more shot and it lead to his dismisle. Smoot was horrible in the fact that he had no instinct playing the cover 2 he was always on his heals and didn't know wether to turn and run or come up and make a play. He's better suited when he can man up and chase the WR all over the field.

To say we didn't do a good job of getting Winfield would be foolish, he's been worth every penny we have paid. Before Winfield we had a serious drought on CB's. Brian Williams was decent but even then he was burned because we didn't get pressure. I don't know that the coaches didn't put them in position or the guys around them were unable to do there job successfully. Everybody knows that good QB pressure is a secondaries best friend, we've had talent in the secondary we just fail to get pressure. Lance Johnston was the best we've had inawhile and he was situational. It's been sad but I'm very exited that Ziggy is our owner and Brad Childress is our coach because we plan on solidifying every position on the team, top to bottom.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Very aware of that, I've been watching full seasons for years now. I definitly held a grudge against Smoot simply because he was garbage, I wanted him gone the year before he was released but we gave him one more shot and it lead to his dismisle. Smoot was horrible in the fact that he had no instinct playing the cover 2 he was always on his heals and didn't know wether to turn and run or come up and make a play. He's better suited when he can man up and chase the WR all over the field.

To say we didn't do a good job of getting Winfield would be foolish, he's been worth every penny we have paid. Before Winfield we had a serious drought on CB's. Brian Williams was decent but even then he was burned because we didn't get pressure. I don't know that the coaches didn't put them in position or the guys around them were unable to do there job successfully. Everybody knows that good QB pressure is a secondaries best friend, we've had talent in the secondary we just fail to get pressure. Lance Johnston was the best we've had inawhile and he was situational. It's been sad but I'm very exited that Ziggy is our owner and Brad Childress is our coach because we plan on solidifying every position on the team, top to bottom.
    Which is why I can't figure out why teams sign a big name player & try to change him into something he's not.

Either you should sign someone who fits your scheme or you change your scheme to fit your players.

If it isn't broke, don't try & fix it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123