Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Antoine Winfield: 2010?s Most Complete Corner?

Antoine Winfield: 2010?s Most Complete Corner?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/10/antoine-winfield-nfls-most-complete-corner/

Good article, lots of nice points!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

delviking is offline Starter

Re: Antoine Winfield: 2010?s Most Complete Corner?

yeah i liked the article especially the part about woodson having the most penalties of any corner.

but we all agree winfield is by and large the best all around corner in the league. yes theirs corner who cover better get more ints, and such but winfield shows the passion to make the every down play and also he can change a game around in a instant IE the eagles game last year and a panthers game a few seasons back.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

Obviously, coverage is the most important facet of any cornerbackís play, but offenses still run the ball anywhere between 40 and 50% of the time, and a corner that canít hold up his end of the bargain in the run game is a problem, even if some people would prefer to bury their head in the sand about it because he can cover on the back end. Asante Samuelís coverage numbers last season were bordering on ridiculous, but he was pulled from games by Eagles head coach Andy Reid for his inability to make simple tackles in the run game. This isnít just us at PFF holding a purist view of things, you canít just ignore two players out of 11 on D when it comes to the run game.
    Especially true for the defense we've run over the last several years.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Now THAT was a well written article. The author didn't make any pie-in-the-sky claims, but instead backed up his opinion with well thought out arguments supported by statistical facts.

Caine

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I am so freakin stoked we resigned him longterm!!!

People rip on our defense often for some reason, but while our rush D did drop a bit to 9th in the NFL last year (still top 10) with 3 backup CBs playing extensively we still improved our overall defensive rankings to 8th in total yards allowed and 10th in passing yards.

Unfortunately, the offense didn't back them up, resulting in a -11 Turnover Differential good for 4th worst in the league and dropping our points allowed ranking to 18th!!!! DOH!

i Think i just Shots my Feets off!!?!?!?! :P
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1100368

People rip on our defense often for some reason, but while our rush D did drop a bit to 9th in the NFL last year (still top 10) with 3 backup CBs playing extensively we still improved our overall defensive rankings to 8th in total yards allowed and 10th in passing yards.

Unfortunately, the offense didn't back them up, resulting in a -11 Turnover Differential good for 4th worst in the league and dropping our points allowed ranking to 18th!!!! DOH!

It's easy to imagine them being a top 5 defense this year. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the offense.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1100369

It's easy to imagine them being a top 5 defense this year. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the offense.
    While it is easy to imagine them as a top 5 defense, it's also easy to imagine them as only a top 20 defense. Seems like they're on a downward trend going back a few years. They've gone from great to just good during that span.

The offense could be good. If Rice comes back and Harvin stays healthy that still leaves Peterson and a promising new QB. The odds aren't in our favor but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility for them to surprise us in a positive way either.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1100370

While it is easy to imagine them as a top 5 defense, it's also easy to imagine them as only a top 20 defense. Seems like they're on a downward trend going back a few years. They've gone from great to just good during that span.

The offense could be good. If Rice comes back and Harvin stays healthy that still leaves Peterson and a promising new QB. The odds aren't in our favor but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility for them to surprise us in a positive way either.
    Thats a fair point. Especially possibly losing the likes of Leber, Pat Williams, Jimmy Kennedy, Ray Edwards etc.

I actually think our CB's, when healthy, are pretty strong set. Ced being hurt killed us, then losing Cook when he showed so much promise was another massive blow. But a healthy core of Winfield, Ced, Cook, Walker (who did a standout job imho), plus the rooks and 2/3yr guys.. and we'll have the making of a solid defensive back field.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1100370

Don't forget, Childress with his mandated Tampa/Cover2 defense was in charge during the slide in our run D. I realize we are getting a little long in the tooth in a few positions, but Leslie seems to a little more inclined to let the D run more aggressively than his predessor. Hopefully that will put more life in our D.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Snaggely-tooth Winfield should hang up the cleats. Put a fork in him, he's done. B)

You guys are like the NFL / Vikes version of civil-war buffs. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast