Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

antoine and pat should have been in

Tice says Pat Williams, Winfield were worthy
    Koren Robinson and Darren Sharper of the Vikings today were chosen for the NFC Pro Bowl team.
    Mark Craig And Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 21, 2005 at 10:07 PM
    Printer friendly E-mail this story Vikings
    Vikings are Packers fans this week

Vikings: Robinson resurrects career by refusing to fail

The Fantasy Reality: Pump up your league

Vikings: Defense starting to take offense

Vikings to extend pact with Anoka County
    Vikings coach Mike Tice singled out nose tackle Pat Williams and cornerback Antoine Winfield as the team's non-Pro Bowl invitees who "should at least be mentioned for the seasons they had."

Winfield said the NFC cornerbacks picked ahead of him -- Tampa Bay's Ronde Barber, Atlanta's DeAngelo Hall and Chicago's Nathan Vasher -- deserved it. Williams, meanwhile, was visibly upset and wouldn't comment after practice.

"I don't blame him if he's upset," Winfield said. "I just saw the list, and I'm upset that he didn't make it. That guy had a Pro Bowl year. He made plays and was a real force in the middle for us. He was in the backfield it seems like every play."

The interior defensive linemen selected in the NFC were Atlanta's Rod Coleman, who has 9½ sacks, Detroit's Shaun Rogers (5½) and Chicago's Tommie Harris (3). Williams has 1½ sacks, but his 77 tackles are more than twice as many as the totals of the other three. Tackles are calculated by each team and aren't an official NFL statistic.

Vasher has eight interceptions, including one for a touchdown. Barber and Hall have five interceptions apiece.

Winfield has four interceptions, but his 89 tackles are only one behind team leader Sam Cowart, the middle linebacker.

"I'm not upset," said Winfield, who hasn't made a Pro Bowl in his seven seasons. "I'll go out and play my game and hopefully one year I get in."

Praise for McKinnie

Tice also mentioned left tackle Bryant McKinnie as "a guy that is on the verge of being mentioned at least, and maybe next year is his year."

Picked ahead of McKinnie at tackle were St. Louis' Orlando Pace, who has seven invitations, Seattle's Walter Jones (six) and Washington's Chris Samuels (three).

"I do feel like I'm getting closer to getting in," McKinnie said.

Newman done?

It seems unlikely that linebacker Keith Newman will play again during the regular season. Newman has a second-degree sprain of the posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and he has been unable to begin a running program. Athletic trainer Chuck Barta said Newman is "a ways away" from playing in a game.

Meanwhile, safety Corey Chavous sat out practice because of a high right ankle sprain but is listed as probable on the injury report. Barta said Chavous should participate in part of practice today.

Tight end Jermaine Wiggins, center Melvin Fowler and right tackle Marcus Johnson all sat out practice because of sprained ankles. Johnson almost certainly won't start Sunday night, while Wiggins and Fowler are questionable.

i agree with pat i would be hurt if i was him. he had a great season and so has winfield. i think he is hurt that the nfl did not select him.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: antoine and pat should have been in

Yeah they should have. But what can we do about it? O well, mayb next year. As long as they keep playing like they are I don't really care if they make it or not.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Pat Williams got screwed end of story! I can't believe he didn't make it this year. It's just because he didn't get the key stat to getting into the pro-bowl and that stat is sacks.

Thanks Josdin

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

and antoines reason is cuz of the picks he got way more tackles though

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

I was really shocked because pat didn't even make most of the snub lists...

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

It will be tough for McKinnie to ever get into the pro bowl as long as Jones and Pace are around and the NFL will probably keep thinking about him being charged on the boat.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

In all fairness, when people say "Cornerback", the farthest asociation to that position is tackling. Whereas "cover" and "interceptions" come to mind.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    In all fairness, when people say "Cornerback", the farthest asociation to that position is tackling. Whereas "cover" and "interceptions" come to mind.
    Thats what makes Winfield the most rounded CB in the league, IMO. He does it all, he covers well and tackles even better, he's durable and shows up everyday.

Winfields the MAN!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

They got jipped. More PPO'ers should have voted. It's simple.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

the reason PWill didn't get voted in is because of his stats. He is a run stuffing DT, so that means that he won't have 10 sacks like some other pass rushing DT's. It's much harder to get noticed as a run stuffer than it is to be noticed as a pass rusher. look at the D lines that got voted in. They are mostly Pass rushers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast