Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Anthony Herrera "About 90% healed"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820d5596/article/vikings-herrera-on-mend-following-acl-triceps-surgeries?module=HP11_headline_stack

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Anthony Herrera "About 90% healed"

Cheers for the read.

A healthy Herrera is a massive player for us, i think we really missed him when he wasnt there and even when he was he was clearly playing hurt.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I have been a big fan of Herrera but felt he played poorly before his injuries last year.
    I think he will be fighting for his job this year.

Found the following in an article about possible cap casualties.

Anthony Herrera, Guard $2.65 million

Herrera graded out last year as one of the five worst guards in all of football last year. He also is coming off of two down years and is due $2.65 million in 2011. It would be easy to cut bait with him to allow youngsters Chris DeGeare and DeMarcus Love to compete for his position
    http://thevikingage.com/2011/07/20/ten-vikings-that-could-be-cap-casualties-to-free-up-30-million/
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree that his performance has been down. I have heard other OL on the team refer to him as the heart and soul of the line so he apparently adds value to the unit but really I could get used to entertaining him being replaced but there are others I would have ahead of him.

oppoldassoc is offline Waterboy

It seems to me like Herrera was a big time Brad Childress guy. It's kind of like Ron Gardenhire with Nick Punto, there's a love affair there but everyone else seems to think that it is counter-productive to keep someone around that is so mediocre.

Honestly, the Vikes could use an upgrade at this position. Herrera is not that good and it is definetely a position in which it would be relatively easy to sign someone that can serve as an upgrade, especially with the free agent frenzy that is on the horizon...
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The problem with replacing him with someone better is that there are a bunch of positions where we are in worse shape and we don't have the cash to ill all of them so we would ether need to make a financially lateral move or even try to find a better player at a lower price and that is going to be a tough task to accomplish. Possibly we could promote one of the younger guys but then we lose the depth on the OL and that has been an issue for years.

oppoldassoc is offline Waterboy

True, but offensive guard is definetely a low-cost position to upgrade. Plus Herrera is a veteran and he's due to make $2.65 million. We could sign someone to upgrade the position for $2.65 million per year of we cut him loose - go after a younger player.
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "oppoldassoc" #1100645
    True, but offensive guard is definetely a low-cost position to upgrade. Plus Herrera is a veteran and he's due to make $2.65 million. We could sign someone to upgrade the position for $2.65 million per year of we cut him loose - go after a younger player.
    I think they have already signed their young player in Chris DeGeare.
    He gained a little experience last year and can't play much worse than Herrera did.
    I have a feeling Ryan Cook will get resigned as a back up utility lineman and have a crazy idea that Fusco could even replace Sullivan.

It's rebuilding time with a young QB,. Just as well rebuild the line as well.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100647
    He gained a little experience last year and can't play much worse than Herrera did.
    I have a feeling Ryan Cook will get resigned as a back up utility lineman and have a crazy idea that Fusco could even replace Sullivan.

Hope Ponder isn't allergic to Kevlar.

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1100655
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100647

Hope Ponder isn't allergic to Kevlar.
    Worse than last year?
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast