Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The Answer to "When should we put TJ in for BJ?"

Part of this article discusses why TJ is probably NOT ready for Prime Time:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkAHaDMu7Jug_Np2uyuHPKlDubYF?slug=cl-askthescout101006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Here is the relevant part:

A lot has been made of the appropriate time to play a young quarterback. How do you know when a rookie quarterback is ready to get the starting nod?

It truly is a case-by-case situation. There are three progressions to a quarterback's development.

The first is learning the offense and understanding defensive fronts and coverages in a classroom setting. Until you understand what's going on, you will not recognize it on the field.

The second progression is to take what's learned from the classroom to the practice field so the recognition skills can be developed with live moving personnel. Knowing it is one thing but applying it is another. Much like a sales executive must first learn his product then develop his or her presentation skills, the same thing applies to football players.

The third and most important progression is taking it from the practice field to live game action where the speed is at its quickest. If a player has not properly progressed in the first two steps, then the game speed will be too overwhelming to have any modicum of success.

How much time is needed to progress through these steps is different for each player. For instance, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning went through the first step very quickly and the second step by midway through his first preseason. At that point, all he needed was to adjust to game speed by getting more repetitions in game action.

I was involved with the drafting of Steve McNair from Alcorn State. It took considerably more time for him to learn Steps 1 and 2. Had we played him too soon, he could have had some success using his athletic skills but likely would have never developed the correct habits initially that eventually led him to becoming a good quarterback. Playing a player before he adequately develops through the first two stages will only encourage bad habits that must later be broken.

So, when you hear individuals claim that a quarterback cannot learn anything from the sideline or holding a clipboard, you know that is only the case if they have successfully progressed through the first two steps of development.

It's also important to note that if a player is rushed too quickly or improperly developed initially, it doesn't mean that it will ruin their career; just provide a roadblock that you must work through later. Quarterbacks like Steve Young, Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Matt Hasselbeck, and Jake Delhomme were all misevaluated early in their careers. Not enough time was dedicated to the development process before making the final evaluation decision.

BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Answer to "When should we put TJ in for BJ?"

2008 season. Brad wants to and will play another year, TJ is talented but not ready yet. He won't see the field til atleast 2008.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

When Childress is damn good & ready to put him in.

Just don't expect it to happen while Brad is still capable of taking the field.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Only put TJ in if Brad dies.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Thats why we traded for Bollinger.Childress does not want to put TJ in till he is ready.I am all for that, the QB position is one of the hardest if not the hardest position to learn in the NFL.Brad is doing fine in my book, so when Childress thinks its time, its time.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

That would suggest that Vince Young is bound to be a total bust.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Not only could it damage TJ's proper development as an NFL QB if he started too early, but Childress has stated that he wants to win now and BJ currently gives him the best chance to do that.
    Even babies know the difference.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"WVV" wrote:
    Only put TJ in if Brad dies.
    Ha! Good idea there.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    That would suggest that Vince Young is bound to be a total bust.

It looks like he is headed in that direction..

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Even if brad childress decides to pull johnson (which wont happent unless we go like 3-13) we wont see tj because if brad gets pulled then bollinger will start.I think tj will start next year i really do

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast